KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Artwork Forum » Poetry Corner » Poetry.com ~ Nothing But A Hoax!

Poetry.com ~ Nothing But A Hoax!
Started by: Syren

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Syren
dreaming

Poetry.com ~ Nothing But A Hoax!

Please, if any of you have submitted your work to www.poetry.com, DO NOT send them any money!! They are nothing but a sham, I submitted some pieces a while back and I still have all of the correspondence regarding the poem that they were going to publish, but I refused to send the extortionate amounts of money they asked for and I didn't go to the 'conventions' or 'award ceremonies' as they were in the US and I'm in the UK... and I'm glad I didn't!

http://windpub.com/literary.scams/ilp.htm

Check out the link and read through, it's absolutely disgusting and I would really hate for any of you to be taken in by their lies. Luckily I wasn't entirely tricked, although I felt extremely let down when I realised my work was never going to be published erm

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 09:43 AM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NunYahBidness
You can stop looking, now

My apologies to you Syren, as you've got some wonderful pieces. But whenever a publishing house or a website asks money for them to publish your work, then by all means question that policy. Reputable companies pay you for the rights to your works not the other way around.

If you truly want to publish your work, you've got to do it the old fashion way...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! But you gotta love "My Cat has Fleas"

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 04:52 PM
NunYahBidness is currently offline Click here to Send NunYahBidness a Private Message Find more posts by NunYahBidness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Thanks Nun wink

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 06:08 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NunYahBidness

No Problem...it's a shame really for any aspiring poets to be had like that.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 08:00 PM
NunYahBidness is currently offline Click here to Send NunYahBidness a Private Message Find more posts by NunYahBidness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DreamingWarrior
Knight Errant

wow.... glad i was too lazy to submit some... haha... was told to by a friend. hmm, my thanks and gratitude to you, Lady Sy.

Sent from heaven to raise some hell.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 10:44 PM
DreamingWarrior is currently offline Click here to Send DreamingWarrior a Private Message Find more posts by DreamingWarrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

you should try zoetrope.com...

Old Post Sep 20th, 2005 04:01 AM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

That's a good idea, Fea... post some valid links to poetry competitions big grin

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Sep 20th, 2005 10:29 AM
Fëanor

Okay...here's the site www.zoetrope.com/about.cgi. It's not just a site for poetry. It has everything from shorts to scripts (which i've already submitted cool ) to photography.

thing is....once registered, you can submit one work...but to submit more you have to review 5 or more other's work, kinda time consuming, but eh. hope the link works

Old Post Sep 20th, 2005 03:40 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NunYahBidness

Isn't that Coppola's site?

Old Post Sep 20th, 2005 11:24 PM
CrazyInLove
Living

hmm, well both me and my sister submitted a poem to the poetry.com and we did pay the money to get the book and our poems our in their books.. but yeah I trust that poetry.com is just wanting peoples money.. but the book that mine is published in is called A Surrender To The Moon The International Library of Poetry. Howard Ely is the Editor. My sister's poem was published in Invoking The Muse, The International Library of Poetry.

Thanks Julian for the linkwink

Live as if everyday is your last, because one day it will be.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 12:55 AM
CrazyInLove is currently offline Click here to Send CrazyInLove a Private Message Find more posts by CrazyInLove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NunYahBidness
Isn't that Coppola's site?
as a matter of fact it is...
Originally posted by CrazyInLove
hmm, well both me and my sister submitted a poem to the poetry.com and we did pay the money to get the book and our poems our in their books.. but yeah I trust that poetry.com is just wanting peoples money.. but the book that mine is published in is called A Surrender To The Moon The International Library of Poetry. Howard Ely is the Editor. My sister's poem was published in Invoking The Muse, The International Library of Poetry.

no prob thumb up

but i may've posted that link when I was logged on, so it might not work embarrasment

www.zoetrope.com here's the main page

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 03:47 AM
Syren
dreaming

Originally posted by CrazyInLove

Have you received the books yet? Have you seen the books being sold in any bookstores? Mine is supposed to be in a book called 'Eternal Dreams, The International Library of Poetry' and although we didn't buy any of the books for ourselves, I still haven't had a glimpse of this book anywhere erm

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 09:07 AM
CrazyInLove
Living

Originally posted by Syren
Have you received the books yet? Have you seen the books being sold in any bookstores? Mine is supposed to be in a book called 'Eternal Dreams, The International Library of Poetry' and although we didn't buy any of the books for ourselves, I still haven't had a glimpse of this book anywhere erm

Yes, I am actually looking at the books right now. I just searched amazon.com and they sell the International books of poetry on there, but there was too many pages to look at so I didn't see if they had the books that I have on there.. it's probably nothing but a hoax, but there are some good poems in the books.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 12:20 PM
CrazyInLove is currently offline Click here to Send CrazyInLove a Private Message Find more posts by CrazyInLove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

yes I'm glad they're actually selling real books, but I have yet to see any proof that anyone I know has had their work published as promised erm

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 02:03 PM
Syren
dreaming

The book with my poem is called Eternal Portraits, soz big grin

http://poetry.com/Publications/search.asp

BUT, if you click this link, put the name Kerry Barker in the search and then choose any of the following poems {all mine};

A Gentle Warning
Just a Phase
Perception
Reflections
Til Death Do Us Part
Truth
Unity
Vampyr
Vanity
When You Crack

...and then go to the bottom of the page to order the book, it tells you that each poem is in Eternal Portraits, even though I was told the book would only feature 'Just A Phase'... is this not odd to you?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 02:10 PM
CrazyInLove
Living

BUT, if you click this link, put the name Kerry Barker in the search and then choose any of the following poems {all mine};

A Gentle Warning
Just a Phase
Perception
Reflections
Til Death Do Us Part
Truth
Unity
Vampyr
Vanity
When You Crack

...and then go to the bottom of the page to order the book, it tells you that each poem is in Eternal Portraits, even though I was told the book would only feature 'Just A Phase'... is this not odd to you?

yeah it is odd.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2005 07:10 PM
Coldfire
<3 <3 <3

A Gentle Warning
Just a Phase
Perception
Reflections
Til Death Do Us Part
Truth
Unity
Vampyr
Vanity
When You Crack

very odd....

i had a company contact me on dA... xlibris I think it was... and they wanted to send me a self-publishing kit... but that means giving out personal information... so I was like uhhhhhh

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2005 04:38 AM
Coldfire is currently offline Click here to Send Coldfire a Private Message Find more posts by Coldfire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

If it was deviant Art themselves who contacted you I would say it was kosher, but if it was a company on dA, then it's probably a good thing you didn't wink

And I'm now sure that poetry.com is a hoax with regard to the amounts of money people are asked for, and the books, because of the above post. It's evidence enough for me.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2005 08:48 AM
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Coldfire
very odd....

i had a company contact me on dA... xlibris I think it was... and they wanted to send me a self-publishing kit... but that means giving out personal information... so I was like uhhhhhh

deviantART actually just said in one of their community update bulletins to be cautious of such things like that. I haven't been asked anything like that, but I do well enough selling my prints through dA that I wouldn't bother with it anyway.

Anyway, I submitted stuff to poetry.com a while back, to check them out for Trickster who was unsure as to whether they're real or not, and I keep getting emails asking to buy this book with my poem in it (and I submitted a crap poem so I know it's not real stick out tongue) and to go to this awards ceremony....yeah, it's BS.

And, uh, Coldfire....your signature is killing the page....

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:36 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NunYahBidness

Is that why my screen has gone whacko!!!!

As I've said before, if you have to pay someone in order for you pieces to be printed and published, then I find that very wrong. It just goes against the firmly held belief that your work, any work is something that someone or whatever company/organisation is willing to shell out for acquiring said artist's creative endeavour.

That be like telling Warhol (not to my liking) he has to pay a gallery to have his work shown!!! Or asking Hemingway to pay to have his story The Old Man and the Sea published. BAH!

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:42 PM