KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Heroes » Arthur's Power

Arthur's Power
Started by: Mairuzu

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Arthur's Power

I thought about it and...

Okay, his power is to take away your powers correct?

What if he had the power to make you age as fast and as much as he wanted?

Since Adam doesn't have his healing factor anymore, Arthur made him age after taking away his power...

it makes sense

but complicated

TGFwashere

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 06:05 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Was probably one of the powers he picked up along the way.

TGFwashere

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 06:10 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

I'm pretty sure Adam aged just because Arthur took his power.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 08:03 PM
Blue_Hefner is currently offline Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Indeed, I don't think Arthur used another power to age Adam; it happened because Adam is four hundred years old.

No, that doesn't make total sense, but that's what the writers went with, I think. People have found problems with it because when Peter lost it he didn't have a shotgun blast appear in his chest or glass cuts in his brain or anything, but I don't think that is quite the same.

Adam's mind is still 400 years old, even if the cells repair themselves.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 08:22 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Captain REX
Indeed, I don't think Arthur used another power to age Adam; it happened because Adam is four hundred years old.

No, that doesn't make total sense, but that's what the writers went with, I think. People have found problems with it because when Peter lost it he didn't have a shotgun blast appear in his chest or glass cuts in his brain or anything, but I don't think that is quite the same.

Adam's mind is still 400 years old, even if the cells repair themselves.

That's the problem. Cells technically don't keep track of how old they are. They start to degrade and need to be repaired, but it's not done pefectly. They still have some signs of wear on them, which causes the body to break down and age.

Adam's body allowed his cells to repair themselves perfectly. So even though he was 400 years old, his cells were still in the same condition they were in back in feudal Japan. When his regeneration power was absorbed, his cells should have started to wear down like a normal human's would.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 08:53 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

I only thought of this because it seems less far fetched than what really happened.

TGFwashere

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 09:25 PM
Shadow_King
-

so has he taken away sylars ability from peter as well?

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 09:44 PM
Shadow_King is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow_King a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow_King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JayJohn85

Its a simple case which of the cells not doing there job because arthur took his power away...Angellica petrelli herself said that his cells have regenerated themshelves so many times that they began to actually actively degrade and regenerate in tandem making him immortal. This means that they didnt just not operate like a normal humans which only regenerates a cell that has degraded naturally over a period of time but actively degraded rapidly and then regenerated. Over and over again.

Adam lost powers= The cycle gets broken= Complete cellular breakdown=Dead.

In the case of Arthur yea his power is akin to his son's with one weakness we already know about he has to touch a person to gain there ability and another I suspect which will be revealed is that the powers arent completely taken away. Now I aint sure myself if this means older petrelli powers degrade over time and he needs to acquire them again but I would suspect this is not the case because he wouldnt kill adam unless of course he is well aware of clare's existance. This also means he doesnt really truly want to win peter over but he is retaining him for power top ups.

"Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. Turns to me and he says "Why so serious?" Comes at me with the knife,"Why so serious?" He sticks the blade in my mouth. "Let’s put a smile on that face!" And... Why so serious?"

Last edited by JayJohn85 on Oct 23rd, 2008 at 09:52 PM

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 09:47 PM
JayJohn85 is currently offline Click here to Send JayJohn85 a Private Message Find more posts by JayJohn85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Originally posted by JayJohn85
Its a simple case which of the cells not doing there job because arthur took his power away...Angellica petrelli herself said that his cells have regenerated themshelves so many times that they began to actually actively degrade and regenerate in tandem making him immortal. This means that they didnt just not operate like a normal humans which only regenerates a cell that has degraded naturally over a period of time but actively degraded rapidly and then regenerated. Over and over again.

Adam lost powers= The cycle gets broken= Complete cellular breakdown=Dead.

There's a problem with this. If his cells are dying and regenerating in equilibrium, then him getting shot, blown up, etc would also break the cycle, therefore he shouldn't be able to heal at all. His accelerated healing is being cancelled out by accelerated dying, thereby leaving his body in a sort of stasis. If a part of his body is removed or damaged, his cells can't do any extra work to heal that part of the body because they are already healing his constantly dying cells. If they took the time to heal his injury, his body would rapidly age.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 10:29 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I think the problem is that we are trying to analyze it scientifically when clearly Heroes has gone off the rails as far as being scientifically accurateis concerned. The first season some of it could have possibly been explained, but it is now all beyond that.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 01:21 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

I just assumed that Arthur took something similar to 'Life Force'. A hero's power is included in this 'life force'. Arthur seems to have taken more out of Adam than from Peter.

Note: I'm a casual fan at best, and have only seen Season 2 and the current episodes- I'm woefully ignorant of Heroes mythology etc. Please feel free to explain why Mohinder's research disproves my idea. I'd love to know that he is for the most part correct (regarding the adrenaline etc.)

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 02:30 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

I think the problem is that we are trying to analyze it scientifically when clearly Heroes has gone off the rails as far as being scientifically accurateis concerned. The first season some of it could have possibly been explained, but it is now all beyond that.

I agree. I just wish the series would follow its own set of rules.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 02:35 AM
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Originally posted by celestialdemon
I agree. I just wish the series would follow its own set of rules.
Agreed.
The biggest problem this season, IMO, has been the fact they've just thrown all their own rules out the window and are now doing things for no farther reasoning than just to do them to excite people. Not thinking of the long term consequences or plot issues the events will cause.

My boss is also a comic dork like me and loves the show but he's always a day or two behind me because he's gotta be at work when its on while I've got till an hour after its over. He's asked me more than once after getting his weekly update if they've changed writers or just went stupid on the story now.

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 03:07 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

What he did to adam was like what that one girl did in the comic to the other people

TGFwashere

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 06:56 AM
REXXXX
Networking

Rogue in X-Men?

I don't think Arthur's power works quite the same way. Rogue borrowed powers, but it hurt the person whom she borrowed from. It did not deprive them of power, though.

Arthur apparently hurts the person, but it did not kill Peter. Peter is also, now, powerless.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 08:24 AM
REXXXX
Networking

Oh, also added Arthur's power to our reference database.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 08:42 AM
starlock
Team Authority

Rogue in X-Men?

I don't think Arthur's power works quite the same way. Rogue borrowed powers, but it hurt the person whom she borrowed from. It did not deprive them of power, though.

Arthur apparently hurts the person, but it did not kill Peter. Peter is also, now, powerless.

I think he ment in the online comic...Oh and rouge has killed people with her power...and she has taken carol danvers power leaving her in a coma....but i dont think Arthurs powers are like rouges....i think like some here that heroes is just flying blind...making up stuff to excite us and throw us into thoughtfull conversations...which to an extent is working.....but....i just dont buy that Arthur just comes back outta nowhere and now is the time he makes his presence known...no precog....no dreams fortelling his coming....i find it all a bit rushed and more of a wow factor

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 11:37 AM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Rogue in X-Men?

no, the heroes graphic novel

TGFwashere

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 03:53 PM
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Originally posted by starlock
I think he ment in the online comic...Oh and rouge has killed people with her power...and she has taken carol danvers power leaving her in a coma....but i dont think Arthurs powers are like rouges....i think like some here that heroes is just flying blind...making up stuff to excite us and throw us into thoughtfull conversations...which to an extent is working.....but....i just dont buy that Arthur just comes back outta nowhere and now is the time he makes his presence known...no precog....no dreams fortelling his coming....i find it all a bit rushed and more of a wow factor
They always change the future

TGFwashere

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 03:54 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

This is many degrees of magnitude simpler than people make it out to be. JayJohn85 pretty much has it, and celestialdemon's problem with it makes absolutely no sense at all. Why would being shot interrupt it? Why would anythijng interrupt it? That is a complete non sequitur. The only thing that interrupts it is if the power itself stops working.

So- very simple. Monroe's cells, after centuries of regeneration and resisting ageing, are on the verge of collapse. Only his healing factor keeps them in play. As soon as it goes, they go, and that's it.

That's all there will ever be to it.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 24th, 2008 at 06:24 PM

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 04:05 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote