KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » How to make the Games vs Forums a better place

How to make the Games vs Forums a better place
Started by: Superboy Prime

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (38): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zack Fair
Fanboy

How to make the Games vs Forums a better place

It is no secret that the Games vs Forums needs a revival. It is also no secret a select number of members are trying their best to help make this place better. Here are a couple of suggestions we have come up with. Feel free to add any suggestions.

1. Imagination is a big gift. Lets try to come up with original, never before-seen, matches.

This is possible by either:

a) Bringing characters that have not been debated before. A good example would be KOS-MOS. Bringing up new obscure characters might attract new & old members alike.

However if you're going to introduce a character it would be nice to post a wikipedia link, or any other source, so that we can learn about these characters before starting a debate.

b) Coming up with twists. A good example of a twist would be the Master Chief vs. Cyborg Snake--Solid Snake with Raiden's MGS4 cyborg suit. It's true that we have our personal favorites, and we don't like them to lose...but with a good twist perhaps your character can take victory home.

2. Do not start flame wars and off-topic rant. A big problem here is that threads usually get spammed with off-topic talk and flame wars. It is no surprise to look at a 12 pages long thread with only 1 or 2 pages having actual debates.

IMO a stickied off-topic thread could help us a lot.

3. Like I said earlier I have no problem with fans of a certain character, but if you're going to back your fav. character at least do it in a serious manner. Don't just say "Oh yes Hayabusa wins because the l33t Ninja ROFLLOLOMGWTFBBQ!!!1111" It is a poor tactic that usually starts the dreaded flame wars.

How to have a serious debate you ask?

a) Well for starts try to enter the debate with an open mind. Hard to do I know, but with practice it is possible.

b) When it all comes down to it Feats > speculation. Search for feats that your character has accomplished. If possible post these feats so that we can see them with our own eyes.

A good source for 3d characters is youtube. Chances are that kickass cut-scene from the game that you love so much has already been uploaded on youtube. http://www.youtube.com

Another good source for 2d characters is the Video Game Musseum. It has endings as well as intros and the like for a host of 2d games from Atari to the PSX. http://www.vgmuseum.com/

All of this was discussed with a handful of members in another thread, but I thought a dedicated thread for this would be more helpful.

Do note this thread is dedicated for this topic only, and you will be reported if you spam it with non-relevant stuff.

Feel free to post anything you think would help our cause.

Lana I beg you to keep this thread alive. At least for a while to see what we can discuss and find out if it might change anything.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Last edited by Zack Fair on Jul 15th, 2007 at 11:42 PM

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 11:40 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wandering Flame
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
A good source for 3d characters is youtube. Chances are that kickass cut-scene from the game that you love so much has already been uploaded on youtube. http://www.youtube.com
LOL laughing out loud

I wouldn't be surprised if this was locked simply because it isn't a versus match.

Maybe we'll meet again...
Wandering Flame (one of the best pieces in the Final Fantasy X soundtrack) happy

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 11:44 PM
Wandering Flame is currently offline Click here to Send Wandering Flame a Private Message Find more posts by Wandering Flame Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Guilty Gear
LOL laughing out loud

I wouldn't be surprised if this was locked simply because it isn't a versus match.

Have you got any suggestions, Guilty? Lets talk about it. If it gets closed we won't get another chance.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 11:47 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I'd have preferred if you asked me before creating a thread like this.

Anyway.

I had been considering making an 'anything vs.' thread, like Captain REX allowed in the SW Vs recently. I took a look at that thread, though, and it was closed after about 5 pages because it became such a jumbled up disorganised mess that was near-impossible to follow. So I'm disinclined to allow a thread like that as I know it'll be even worse here.

Also, just a note, if you're going to post a bunch of videos in a thread, I'd prefer that people link to them, rather than embed them in the post. Same thing with large images. Causing people's computers to lag is a bad thing.

And on the note about bashing/off-topic - there is a report button. I'd greatly appreciate if people used that to report such posts (please do NOT PM me), as I don't catch everything. I sleep occasionally and have a job and like to go out with my friends, so I can't watch the forum constantly.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 11:50 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Classic NES
Balloooooooooooooon

Biggest problem is the debating methods in games versus.

Classic NES is currently offline Click here to Send Classic NES a Private Message Find more posts by Classic NES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wandering Flame
Restricted

Account Restricted

Have you got any suggestions, Guilty? Lets talk about it. If it gets closed we won't get another chance.
Well you pretty much said it all. I would just like to point out that spite threads are generally unappreciated.

And an off-topic thread was asked for, not an anything versus thread.

Wandering Flame (one of the best pieces in the Final Fantasy X soundtrack) happy

Last edited by Wandering Flame on Jul 15th, 2007 at 11:53 PM

Wandering Flame is currently offline Click here to Send Wandering Flame a Private Message Find more posts by Wandering Flame Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sol Valentine
~Magnificent Ruffian~

Well, there is a chance that this forum might stay alive. There are a good lot of games being released this year and early next, and these games are going to have alot of new characters(Nariko of Heavenly Sword, Nero of Devil May Cry 4, the unnamed character of Assassins Creed, etc. ) that might bring some more variety to this forum, but it's also up to the users browsing the forums, like you said, adding twists to thier threads(not to overuse twists) not being led off topic, etc. this is a good forum, we just need to re-vamp it, and I hope Lana will notice what were saying, and also try to help keep this thread alive.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 11:56 PM
Sol Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Sol Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Sol Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wandering Flame
Restricted

Account Restricted

This should be stickied.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 11:59 PM
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Guilty Gear
Well you pretty much said it all. I would just like to point out that spite threads are generally unappreciated.

And an off-topic thread was asked for, not an anything versus thread.

An anything versus thread WAS asked for not too long ago. Blaxican asked me about it.

As for an off-topic thread, possibly. If it'll keep the off-topic arguing and stuff out of the actual threads, then it'd be a good thing. But there are some people on here who really need to learn what is appropriate to post on KMC and what isn't, and that's why I'm hesitant about it. An off-topic thread would also NOT condone spamming random posts about nothing, either. That'd remain something you shouldn't be doing.

Originally posted by FortressXRuler
Well, there is a chance that this forum might stay alive. There are a good lot of games being released this year and early next, and these games are going to have alot of new characters(Nariko of Heavenly Sword, Nero of Devil May Cry 4, the unnamed character of Assassins Creed, etc. ) that might bring some more variety to this forum, but it's also up to the users browsing the forums, like you said, adding twists to thier threads(not to overuse twists) not being led off topic, etc. this is a good forum, we just need to re-vamp it, and I hope Lana will notice what were saying, and also try to help keep this thread alive.

If you haven't noticed, I'm not only letting this thread live, I've already posted in it stick out tongue I'll probably pin it so it doesn't get buried within a day or two.

I'm also likely going to rewrite the rules for the forum soon. If anyone has any suggestions for that, feel free to let me know in this thread. Just to clarify, though, the "characters must originate in a game" rule will NOT be going anywhere. That doesn't need to be gotten rid of to make it possible to have more variety in matches.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 12:02 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if this is pulled off. Oh, how I long for the next "Samus vs. Chief" quality thread.

Some rules are necessary for just coming up with the match-ups, I would think. Something like tiers, based on how relatively powerful (or reknowned) a character is. Like, There's no point to a Cloud vs. Wario thread, but Cloud vs. Kratos, sure.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 12:04 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I agree. Characters must originate in a game is a good rule. I will be the first to ***** about it being replaced.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 12:05 AM
Sol Valentine
~Magnificent Ruffian~

Thanks 4 not closing this Lana.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 12:06 AM
Sol Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Sol Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Sol Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I forgot to add in my first post that we need to respect our mod.

I am not asking you guys to agree with everything Lana does and become her groupie, but don't just start rabid childish insults to the mod of this forum. Keeping the mod in good mood will benefit us more than you guys think.

Edit I'm going out for a while but...I'll be back. *Terminator theme plays.*

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 12:07 AM
Classic NES
Balloooooooooooooon

How about reviving and sticking this thread that everyone worked so hard to make: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...+street+fighter

Because people are really clueless to what certain characters can do.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 12:08 AM
Classic NES is currently offline Click here to Send Classic NES a Private Message Find more posts by Classic NES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I agree. Characters must originate in a game is a good rule. I will be the first to ***** about it being replaced.

There was a fair amount of drama about it when I first made that rule, even though VG Vs was the last of the Vs forums to switch over to it.

Well, I say "fair amount of drama", it was mostly a handful of posters (most of which never really posted in here) claiming that everyone hated the rule, while a lot of others thought it was great. Once it settled, the quality of the forum did pick up quite a bit and there were a lot fewer 'spite' threads.

It was definitely a hassle to enforce at first, and I still occasionally have to argue with someone who thinks that the rules don't apply to him, but I really do think it's probably one of the most important changes I'd made to this forum.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 12:08 AM
Sol Valentine
~Magnificent Ruffian~

Instead of posting the same character fights over and over, we should do a little research about more characters. That way we can get better debates and less spite and flaming, a good one may be Pit v.s. Megaman, I haven't seen a Pit thread before.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 12:14 AM
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

One thing in game vs. that pisses me off is that every other thread is a 2D Capcom fighters thread. Those are fine but it eventually get old and can ruin the characters. Another thing alot of us need to work on(like me) is staying on topic. The best example was the Akuma vs. Ayane thread, about nine pages and only the first two involved Akuma and Ayane, the rest somehow became Hayabusa vs. Akuma. Also, I know that there's not really anything that can be substantially done about this, but we need more good debaters.

EDIT: Also Lana I would like to apologize over certain comments I have made about you in a certain thread. I was an immature jerk.sad

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Last edited by Violent2Dope on Jul 16th, 2007 at 02:28 AM

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 02:23 AM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jerkoff. no expression

But yes, the rivalry that is Ryu/Akuma vs. Ryu Hayabusa vs. Jin vs. *insert random DOA or KOF top tier character that no one cares about here* is a cancer that has spread throughout the forum. Many threads that have none of said characters mentioned somehow get thrown onto that track.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 02:41 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
Jerkoff. no expression

But yes, the rivalry that is Ryu/Akuma vs. Ryu Hayabusa vs. Jin vs. *insert random DOA or KOF top tier character that no one cares about here* is a cancer that has spread throughout the forum. Many threads that have none of said characters mentioned somehow get thrown onto that track.

That is bound to happen. What I think we should do once a poster enters that kind of discussion we should inmediately tell them to take it to the respective thread, and if there isn't one then make one.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 07:34 AM
shin_remy

Question to Lana

Are uncanon feats allowed ?

cause in debates they say, it is not canon bla bla bla.. You can only talk about the character from their own game, and not about the character who also appeared in a game that didn't followed the storyline

so what!! it is a gamecharacter..NOTHING REALLY HAPPEND, cause they don't exist.

Last edited by shin_remy on Jul 16th, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 10:14 AM
shin_remy is currently offline Click here to Send shin_remy a Private Message Find more posts by shin_remy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote