KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Count Dooku vs. Kyle Katarn

Count Dooku vs. Kyle Katarn
Started by: MasterAshenVor

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

Count Dooku vs. Kyle Katarn

Who Wins?

Location - Bespin - Cloud City - On a Landing Pad

Weapons and Environmental Obstacles - Long Drops / Falls around the Landing Pad hence it being ''CLOUD'' city, Cargo Containers and boxes around the Platform hence it being a "LANDING PAD". Also Security Guards. ----- Lightsabers and Force Only.

Level of Skill - Count Dooku <Sith Lord (Episode II)> / Kyle Katarn <Jedi Master (Prime)>

(Please use Canon information and use references to back your claims. I don't want this topic to be turned into a farce.)

Thank You.

Enjoy
(If you can)

"I see more Grey than Light or Dark now days." - Jolee Bindo

"I will do what I must Obi-Wan." - Qui-Gon-Jinn

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 01:12 AM
Click here to Send MasterAshenVor a Private Message Find more posts by MasterAshenVor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Sabers-Dooku.
Force-Katarn.

I could swear this was done recently.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 02:08 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

i think i did it recently.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 02:53 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kotorfan
Fruity Darth

Lol I could swear almost all theversus threads were done recently.

Katarn wins. You said landing pad right? Katarn is more proficient in the force, and isn't afraid of using Dark Side powers. He can just throw dooku off the platform with his superior force powers (I'm not really sure that they are superior though) lol

He also has imp training, and uses various weapons that dooku doesn't. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kyle_Katarn

the pic that says Kyle Katarn often carried copious amounts of armament.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 04:30 AM
Click here to Send kotorfan a Private Message Find more posts by kotorfan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Weltall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Out of curiosity what has Kyle Katarn actually displayed with the Force?

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 03:50 PM
Click here to Send Weltall a Private Message Find more posts by Weltall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

I think the Count has this. Katarn is good, but do you think he'd have been able to dominate Obi-wan as easily as Dooku did?

Old Post Nov 9th, 2009 01:13 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

Possibly. You must remember Katarn comes from a completely different Breed of Jedi than Dooku did. NJO Jedi aren't afraid to play dirty.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2009 01:30 AM
Click here to Send MasterAshenVor a Private Message Find more posts by MasterAshenVor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

Even though I would think that Katarn has this.

For reasons of

1 - He's Younger (Does not mean much in terms of the force but it must count for something.)

2 - He killed Dark Jedi of the likes of Jerec and Desann with Desann having fresh Valley of the Jedi energy within himself.

3 - He held his own against Caedus who is more powerful than Anakin Skywalker and we all know what happened to Dooku at the hands of Anakin.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2009 01:33 AM
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

I'm just pointed out what I think would be relevant to Katarn's side.

Now for Dooku

1) More Experience
2) Beat Anakin (EP II) and Obi-Wan-Kenobi (EP II & III) like it was nothing. I did not even see him break a sweat and then he held his own somewhat against Yoda.
3) Roughly the third best Lightsaber Duelist in the entire galaxy at that time.

For number 3 I gotta point out Kyle is third to Luke Skywalker as well. or at least seems to be so. I don't know I still stand by Kyle though.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2009 01:36 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I'm not negating anything, just contextualizing.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MasterAshenVor
Even though I would think that Katarn has this.

For reasons of

1 - He's Younger (Does not mean much in terms of the force but it must count for something.)

2 - He killed Dark Jedi of the likes of Jerec and Desann with Desann having fresh Valley of the Jedi energy within himself.

3 - He held his own against Caedus who is more powerful than Anakin Skywalker and we all know what happened to Dooku at the hands of Anakin.
1.) Stamina most of all.

2.) Jerec was imbued with the Valley as well. But measuring up Jerec and Desann to Dooku is kinda iffy. I just don't see the High Inquisitor and a scarcely trained failed Jedi Padawan able to compete with Dooku. Least not in sabers. Jerec apparently had some god-powers.

3.) A>B>C, but it can work. Caedus=Vader (in-universe opinions aside) roughly, but does Vader=tEh z0ne Anakin? In terms of clarity and focus as they're combined with a saber duel?

Originally posted by MasterAshenVor
I'm just pointed out what I think would be relevant to Katarn's side.

Now for Dooku

1) More Experience
2) Beat Anakin (EP II) and Obi-Wan-Kenobi (EP II & III) like it was nothing. I did not even see him break a sweat and then he held his own somewhat against Yoda.
3) Roughly the third best Lightsaber Duelist in the entire galaxy at that time.

For number 3 I gotta point out Kyle is third to Luke Skywalker as well. or at least seems to be so. I don't know I still stand by Kyle though.
1.) Arguable. Experience is measured in deeds more than lifespan. Amount of experience gained per deed is subjective to endless debate. Katarn's many sexy adventures vs. Dooku's many crazy nights. Who knows?

2.) AotC Anakin would get tooled by both Katarn and Dooku (obviously, he already did with one) so he's a "meh". Same with Kenobi. A little display of Force prowess seems to do it with him. Soresu be damned.

3.) True. And Battlemaster Katarn merits like the same thing.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2009 09:09 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
1.) Arguable. Experience is measured in deeds more than lifespan. Amount of experience gained per deed is subjective to endless debate. Katarn's many sexy adventures vs. Dooku's many crazy nights. Who knows?

Haha, Dooku has the sexier accent, I think he wins that one. No, youre right, we dont really know.

2.) AotC Anakin would get tooled by both Katarn and Dooku (obviously, he already did with one) so he's a "meh". Same with Kenobi. A little display of Force prowess seems to do it with him. Soresu be damned.

I really have a hard time seeing Katarn toss Obi-wan around the way Dooku was able to. We know that Dooku's force powers were basically enough that Yoda couldn't defeat him with just the Force.

3.) True. And Battlemaster Katarn merits like the same thing.

Well, I actually put Dooku at fourth, but its third or fourth out of TEN THOUSAND very capable Jedi and Sith. Katarn was way up their (obviously behind Luke and Jacen, possibly Corran as well.) The bigger difference though is that Dooku, Mace, Yoda, and Sidious were basically in a league of their own. Kyle would have a hard time against Saba, Kyp, Solusar, Jaina, Mara, Lumiya (maybe even lose to her), and so on. He's good, but not in a higher league like Dooku was.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2009 04:30 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
Haha, Dooku has the sexier accent, I think he wins that one. No, youre right, we dont really know.
I hope you're not insinuating that Jeff Bennett's multi-talented voice loses him ground here? He could voice Saruman if he wanted.

I really have a hard time seeing Katarn toss Obi-wan around the way Dooku was able to. We know that Dooku's force powers were basically enough that Yoda couldn't defeat him with just the Force.
Though not as problematic as the KotOR fellas, it's still rather difficult to compare the NJO to the PT. Not to mention I don't know much about Katarn outside Outcast and people's talk of him holding off Caedus--who more or less rivals Vader. In strict use of offensive Force powers I see Katarn winning.

Well, I actually put Dooku at fourth, but its third or fourth out of TEN THOUSAND very capable Jedi and Sith. Katarn was way up their (obviously behind Luke and Jacen, possibly Corran as well.) The bigger difference though is that Dooku, Mace, Yoda, and Sidious were basically in a league of their own. Kyle would have a hard time against Saba, Kyp, Solusar, Jaina, Mara, Lumiya (maybe even lose to her), and so on. He's good, but not in a higher league like Dooku was.
Well Kyle was the Battlemaster for a reason. I don't know anything about Saba or Kam so I can't say anything, but placing on par(ish) or under the likes of Kyp, Jaina, and Mara is pretty damn good, especially considering where they themselves stand. And earning recognition from Caedus is something too. That said, Dooku perfected a saber style specifically designed for duelling, and it's a style Katarn is unfamiliar with (I assume). In a strict saber duel I can't see Katarn winning.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2009 08:51 PM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

I hope you're not insinuating that Jeff Bennett's multi-talented voice loses him ground here? He could voice Saruman if he wanted.

Touche.

Though not as problematic as the KotOR fellas, it's still rather difficult to compare the NJO to the PT. Not to mention I don't know much about Katarn outside Outcast and people's talk of him holding off Caedus--who more or less rivals Vader. In strict use of offensive Force powers I see Katarn winning.

Could you see Katarn obliterating Obi-wan the way Dooku did? How about matching Yoda in a Force fight? I can't, so I'm giving that to Dooku.

Well Kyle was the Battlemaster for a reason. I don't know anything about Saba or Kam so I can't say anything, but placing on par(ish) or under the likes of Kyp, Jaina, and Mara is pretty damn good, especially considering where they themselves stand. And earning recognition from Caedus is something too. That said, Dooku perfected a saber style specifically designed for duelling, and it's a style Katarn is unfamiliar with (I assume). In a strict saber duel I can't see Katarn winning.

The Battlemaster title just means that he was the guy who taught people lightsaber stuff. It's similar to saying that a physics professor at a university is better at physics than a guy running CERN. Yoda, Mace, Depa, Obi-wan, Anakin, and many others were all arguably better than Drallig. I think the same is true for Kyle. He is way up there, but he has the title do to his position as the head lightsaber instructor.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2009 07:42 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Could you see Katarn obliterating Obi-wan the way Dooku did? How about matching Yoda in a Force fight? I can't, so I'm giving that to Dooku.
As of LotF, I can see Katarn grabbing Kenobi's windpipe and hucking him. And I can also see Katarn bringing down some rocks and blasting a little lightning.

The Battlemaster title just means that he was the guy who taught people lightsaber stuff. It's similar to saying that a physics professor at a university is better at physics than a guy running CERN. Yoda, Mace, Depa, Obi-wan, Anakin, and many others were all arguably better than Drallig. I think the same is true for Kyle. He is way up there, but he has the title do to his position as the head lightsaber instructor.
I know. Like I said, I don't know much about Katarn's saber skills. I base my position on his abilities on Caedus' recognition of his skills. Sith Lord that's second to Luke saying you're good... way to go Kyle.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2009 09:49 PM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

As of LotF, I can see Katarn grabbing Kenobi's windpipe and hucking him. And I can also see Katarn bringing down some rocks and blasting a little lightning.

We've never seen Katarn demonstrate anything to show he is that powerful though. Nothing I can think of at least.

I know. Like I said, I don't know much about Katarn's saber skills. I base my position on his abilities on Caedus' recognition of his skills. Sith Lord that's second to Luke saying you're good... way to go Kyle.

Second to Luke by a large margin. And yeah, Jacen said Kyle was good, but I think he'd say the same about Dooku as well.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2009 10:46 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

We've never seen Katarn demonstrate anything to show he is that powerful though. Nothing I can think of at least.
I'm going by what I know from Outcast--it's all I have on the guy. The scene where he dangles Tavion over a pit and then waves his hand to toss her back to the ledge. Circa 12 ABY. Add 28-29 years, he better have something else going for him. And there was a case that Advent made for him in one of her threads. It sounded so good.

Second to Luke by a large margin. And yeah, Jacen said Kyle was good, but I think he'd say the same about Dooku as well.
He had better. Makashi god's gonna be impressin' everyone from the NJO.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2009 06:55 AM
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

Who said that Makashi was not used in the NJO? I've never seen any evidence of that.

Ataru / Djem So / Shii Cho and Niman were used if I'm not mistaken

So why not Makashi?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2009 11:36 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

There was no one to teach Luke's Order the old styles, that's why they developed the Strong, Medium, and Fast styles. Makashi especially would have been foreign, even amongst the PT Jedi, there were few who practiced it. Being designed for strictly lightsaber-lightsaber combat, it would'nt have been very practical in the age where there were no more saber-wielding opponents.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2009 12:38 PM
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

There was no one to teach Luke's Order the old styles, that's why they developed the Strong, Medium, and Fast styles. Makashi especially would have been foreign, even amongst the PT Jedi, there were few who practiced it. Being designed for strictly lightsaber-lightsaber combat, it wouldn't have been very practical in the age where there were no more saber-wielding opponents.

I'm doing this because i'm bored.

Might as well call him "Matt Atom Bomb"
Like his name suggests, he's quite atomic
And this fool - he likes DC Comics
Two energy swords make up his symbol
And trust me, dawg, this homie's nimble

Old Post Nov 12th, 2009 04:03 PM
Click here to Send mattatom a Private Message Find more posts by mattatom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

Originally posted by mattatom
I'm doing this because i'm bored.

Plus, it's just too damn fun to catch the Canadian on these things. (No whatshesaid stuff!)

Old Post Nov 12th, 2009 04:35 PM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote