KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Luke Skwalker vs. the Sith Emperor

Luke Skwalker vs. the Sith Emperor
Started by: Master Han

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Luke Skwalker vs. the Sith Emperor

SW_legend and I briefly disputed this subject on another thread, and it seems as though people are still caught up over this issue, with some declaring that Vitiate could simply mind-**** Luke.

Well, I disagree. I'll state my contentions:

1. Revan figures out how to resist the Emperor's mind control to such an extent that he battles with him and actually subtly manipulates his actions for three centuries. Skywalker has faced similar enemies with mind domination capabilities, most notably Palpatine, Lord Nyax, UnuThul and Abeloth. Ergo, it's logical to conclude that he has developed and prepared defenses against such maneuvers, especially given that Luke Skywalker has a gary stue "invent whatever the **** I want" talent, learning shatterpoint in an afternoon and, according to Luceno, possibly discovering vaapad. And this is assuming that Vitiate can arbitrarily control any character of any level of power, even one who may be vastly more powerful - yet we see that sufficiently powerful characters can eventually free themselves from his mental grasp, so obviously there's a point at which a sufficiently powerful Force user can resist the attempt altogether.

2. Skywalker actually possesses superior Force feats to the Sith Emperor. His manipulating dorvin basals feat, dark nest supermassive black hole technique, and various ridiculously powerful illusions he's used to **** with Caedus and cloak entire warships stand as some of the best in the mythos. Remember that he effortlessly Force pins a being more powerful than Darth Vader to his chair, and it's suggested that he might not have even been there at all.

3. Vitiate's combat prowess is heavily questionable. He demonstrates remarkably poor tactical acuity in the Revan novel, almost getting incinerated by a droid's flamethrower, and getting disarmed by Meetra's saber throw, an attack that would have killed him had Meetra herself not instinctively protected Revan rather than attacked the Emperor directly. It seems as though his strength in the Force is such that he's never really bothered to learn how to actually fight with much competence.

Luke, on the other hand, has routinely defeated enemies that are actually more powerful than himself, most notably Unuthul and Abeloth, the latter of which was once described as having a "dozen times" his strength in the Force, and who was capable of turning cities to molten slag just by getting pissed. Luke has defeated them by being the more skilled and determined combatant. He has vast combat experience and tactical acuity, has prodigious saber skills (described as "perhaps the greatest swordsman there ever was" by Caedus), knows shatterpoint, and has trained in a vast variety of unarmed combat styles (Backlash). Ergo, even if he were weaker than Vitiate in terms of raw Force power, he would still likely win in a fight.

Thoughts?

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 03:44 PM
Click here to Send Master Han a Private Message Find more posts by Master Han Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

lol i wouldn't really consider this an argument. Luke has defeated FAR more powerful foes than the sith emperor has, if he had a somewhat difficult time with revan, Luke would slaughter him. Luke fulfills anakin's potential (as stated by GL) making him twice as strong as palpatine, who is canonically more pwerful than vitiate.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Last edited by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ on Aug 19th, 2013 at 03:55 PM

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 03:48 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Obvious bait thread is obvious.

For the record, my interpretation is still that Abeloth is a dozen times stronger than him with Force strength, not that shes literally a dozen times more powerful than Luke.

And if she is, then she is truly the least competent villain in star wars. It isn't impressive that Luke managed to fight her so well, its retarded that Abeloth somehow couldn't own Luke with that degree of a power gap.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 03:54 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

I still don't see how lord vitiate, for all his power, could defeat Luke

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 03:58 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Luke is one of the more inconsistently depicted characters in an already laughably inconsistent franchise. One day, he's pwning UnuThul and slugging it out with Abeloth while also dealing with treacherous Lost Tribe Sith. The next day, he's mortally injured by Lumiya and fighting a random-ass Lost Tribe member to a standstill.

Vitiate's even worse, despite the fact that he's only been shown fighting in a whopping 2 sources. It's another reason why the character is simply and completely irretrievable.

Looking at it holistically, I'm inclined to give Luke the nod after a difficult fight.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:02 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:03 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

i'm still not convinced it'd be an extremely difficult fight for luke, considering Luke is leagues above vitiate in saber combat, and slightly above in force abilities.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:04 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Wasn't there also some random monk guy who was knocking Luke around at the start of Fate of the Jedi?

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:13 PM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

I hate how inconsistent Luke is depicted throughout the series.

Even with all his inconsistencies, I still consider Luke the most powerful Jedi, though.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:16 PM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

on the abeloth argument, in the badass jedi team vs tor dark council thread there's an explanation.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:16 PM
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Wasn't there also some random monk guy who was knocking Luke around at the start of Fate of the Jedi?

...not really. Luke dealt with him quite easily.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:26 PM
Click here to Send Master Han a Private Message Find more posts by Master Han Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Are you sure? I recall Tempest and Beefy arguing over how inconsistent it was with Lukes big 'rooted himself so much that not even a black hole could move him' when some random monk was throwing him around with windy powers.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:31 PM
pencilcrayon

By the end of FotJ, he's gained a few new abilities. He could end the fight in a nano second with a light saber being fold spaced into the victim.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:52 PM
Click here to Send pencilcrayon a Private Message Find more posts by pencilcrayon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Are you sure? I recall Tempest and Beefy arguing over how inconsistent it was with Lukes big 'rooted himself so much that not even a black hole could move him' when some random monk was throwing him around with windy powers.

You're referring to the Hidden One and yes, Luke clearly struggled with him.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:53 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Actually, Luke advanced on the wind and lightning simultaneously. The only "shot" the (leader of a powerful and revered group of Force users) got in was at the beginning, where he carries Luke backwards with Force lightning but fails to penetrate his lightsaber defenses; Luke then proceeds to advance against it.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 04:55 PM
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Obvious bait thread is obvious.

Wait...not only does a quick search reveal that you've also made this same topic, but haven't you argued that Vitiate can mind-**** Luke?

Old Post Aug 21st, 2013 12:17 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I only said that because Tempest didn't reply to me.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2013 12:29 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Master Han
Wait...not only does a quick search reveal that you've also made this same topic, but haven't you argued that Vitiate can mind-**** Luke?
He means "bate" thread. Something the Sith Emperor should be exceedingly proficient at given his enormous... lifespan.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2013 12:51 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

So Neph, I want clarification on the extent of your Vitiate fetish. You've stated before that he could defeat RotS Sidious. Is Luke his limit?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 06:19 PM
pencilcrayon

Luke can mind wipe him

Last edited by pencilcrayon on Aug 31st, 2013 at 06:34 PM

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 06:25 PM
Click here to Send pencilcrayon a Private Message Find more posts by pencilcrayon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote