KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Uliq Qel Droma vs ROTS Kenobi ( Sabers Only )

Uliq Qel Droma vs ROTS Kenobi ( Sabers Only )
Started by: Trocity

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Uliq Qel Droma vs ROTS Kenobi ( Sabers Only )

Sabers only. Who wins?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2014 04:39 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Kenobi in a good fight.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 6th, 2014 04:57 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Yeah I'm siding with Kenobi here.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 06:17 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nalaniel

Kenobi.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 08:45 AM
Click here to Send Nalaniel a Private Message Find more posts by Nalaniel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

This should be a long impressive battle smile I'd go Kenobi, but not easily.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 08:53 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Probably not easily, but he is more skilled and his feats are more impressive to me than Ulic's in terms of the force.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 08:57 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

I'd say all the available evidence paints a far greater picture of Ulic Qel-Droma but I'd probably get accused of trolling or told "no". Apparently stalemating one of the truly most powerful Sith ever in Exar Kun, or holding off notable Jedi while being cut off from the Force, just aren't on the same level as hanging with the likes of Savage Opress (I think? still haven't seen much of the cartoon) or Ventress.

27/01/16 - DarthAnt66 - 91 days

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 11:51 AM
Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

quote: (post)
Originally posted by appletonia
I'd say all the available evidence paints a far greater picture of Ulic Qel-Droma but I'd probably get accused of trolling or told "no". Apparently stalemating one of the truly most powerful Sith ever in Exar Kun

To be fair, that was before Kun got his pimpsaber.

just aren't on the same level as hanging with the likes of Savage Opress (I think? still haven't seen much of the cartoon) or Ventress.

What about hanging with the likes of pre-suit Darth Vader or fending off Darth Maul and Savage Opress at the same time?

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 02:43 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arhael
Devoid of reality

Kun was an inverter of double bladed saber - unrefined style.

Maul was a master of double bladed saber - the style refined for thousands years, also, lightsaber design improved.
Kenobi fending off Maul + Opress >>>> than anything Kun can bring.

or holding off notable Jedi while being cut off from the Force, just aren't on the same level as hanging with the likes of Savage Opress (I think? still haven't seen much of the cartoon) or Ventress.

Characters that are severed from the Force are considered void in the Force, they cannot be sensed by other Jedi and their moves cannot be anticipated. If anything that notable Jedi was at disadvantage, not Uliq.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 03:46 PM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Originally posted by Arhael

Maul was a master of double bladed saber - the style refined for thousands years, also, lightsaber design improved.
I see you haven't bothered reading about how saberstaffs came to prominence or where Maul got almost all of his inspiration from.

Kun was highly refined as even those like Plagueis consider Kun to be the guy when a saberstaff becomes relevant.

Maul is not > Kun by any means if that is what you are suggesting, Kun practically laughed at the dueling abilities of post-DE Luke.

Also Kun thoroughly bossed Vodo twice and Vodo is noted as one of the foremost form V masters and one of the best Guardians of all time.

Kun was never replicated in his mastery of Niman, nor was his personal use of the saberstaff replicated either, he was an all-time great and a natural prodigy.

I'd also like to know why you think saberstaff combat became more refined when it's stated outright that Kun remained one of the best of all time and that he got the design for the Saberstaff from a Sith holocron hundreds of thousands of years old.

Back on-topic however, I don't see Ulic being superior to pre-suit Vader in any manner so there is no reason for me to believe he'd enjoy a better fate than Vader did in similar circumstances.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 04:05 PM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

Originally posted by Emperordmb
To be fair, that was before Kun got his pimpsaber.

Kun was an incredibly powerful Force User and exceptional duelist, saberstaff or otherwise. The fact that he was able to create his own style of combat is also a reflection of his general familiarity and creativity with a lightsaber, which is a skill that's transferrable regardless of whether or not he uses that weapon. The people that Obi-Wan can contend with are nowhere near his level in either lightsaber skill or Force ability.

I should also note that Ulic was badly injured during that fight and thus at a disadvantage.

quote:
What about hanging with the likes of pre-suit Darth Vader or fending off Darth Maul and Savage Opress at the same time?

I have yet to read the ROTS novel but from what I hear, the Anakin that faced Obi-Wan was a conflicted mess, and had been dominating the fight up until the tactical error that saw him defeated. That's not mentioning the unique way they match up due to their master/student relationship and how they new each other as well as they knew themselves, which can often lead to unpredictable outcomes. I'm not convinced that their fight puts Obi-Wan on Anakin's level but rather than it shows how the two specifically match up under a specific set of circumstances.

Either way I would not put pre-suit Vader anywhere near Exar Kun as a duelist. He's never come close to reaching the heights Exar has with the Force, nor has he displayed the technical brilliance with a lightsaber Kun had at that point. Ditto with Maul and Opress, individually or together.

Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma outclass anyone from the movies with a lightsaber imo (and I don't personally consider Obi-Wan a top tier duelist from that era regardless). One's the creator of a lightsaber style/weapon and one of the most godly Force Users ever, the other was able to compete with notable Jedi even after having his Force sensitivity stripped form him, and they're both practically equals. I don't think Yoda or Mace Windu are on their level, much less Obi-Wan.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 04:16 PM
Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

Originally posted by Arhael

Except for the fact that it was stated to be superior to the existing 7 lightsaber forms.

quote:
Maul was a master of double bladed saber

The creator of a form of combat will have a far more intimate familiarity with it than the standard master.

quote:
- the style refined for thousands years, also, lightsaber design improved.

The lightsaber forms had already existed for thousands of years by that point, and there is little evidence to suggest that they progressed much further beyond that point.

quote:
Kenobi fending off Maul + Opress >>>> than anything Kun can bring.

Maul and Opress are relative pipsqueaks next to the likes of Exar or Ulic.

quote:
Characters that are severed from the Force are considered void in the Force, they cannot be sensed by other Jedi and their moves cannot be anticipated. If anything that notable Jedi was at disadvantage, not Uliq.

What on earth are you on about?? It was his ability to use the Force that was taken away from him, not his presence in the Force.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 04:29 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Except for the fact that it was stated to be superior to the existing 7 lightsaber forms.

Could you provide evidence or a quote for this please?

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 04:32 PM
appletonia
major studmuffin

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Could you provide evidence or a quote for this please?

That I cannot.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 04:44 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

That I cannot.

Then you can hopefully understand if I do not take your word on this, seeing as I have never heard this claim made by anybody else prior to this.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 04:45 PM
appletonia
major studmuffin

Sure, but it's hardly crucial to my argument. The fact that he was able to create a form that enabled him to defeat a centuries old battlemaster at all, is either a reflection of the fact that he was so ingenious that he was able to create a great form of combat, or so damn good that he was able to defeat a centuries old battlemaster with an innefectual form of combat. Either scenario depicts him as being pretty godly with a lightsaber.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 04:50 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Sure, but it's hardly crucial to my argument. The fact that he was able to create a form that enabled him to defeat a centuries old battlemaster at all, is either a reflection of the fact that he was so ingenious that he was able to create a great form of combat, or so damn good that he was able to defeat a centuries old battlemaster with an innefectual form of combat. Either scenario depicts him as being pretty godly with a lightsaber.

I don't think Kun created a form of lightsaber combat. He innovated Niman.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 04:51 PM
Arhael
Devoid of reality

Originally posted by AncientPower
I see you haven't bothered reading about how saberstaffs came to prominence or where Maul got almost all of his inspiration from.

Kun was highly refined as even those like Plagueis consider Kun to be the guy when a saberstaff becomes relevant.

Maul is not > Kun by any means if that is what you are suggesting, Kun practically laughed at the dueling abilities of post-DE Luke.

Also Kun thoroughly bossed Vodo twice and Vodo is noted as one of the foremost form V masters and one of the best Guardians of all time.

Kun was never replicated in his mastery of Niman, nor was his personal use of the saberstaff replicated either, he was an all-time great and a natural prodigy.

I'd also like to know why you think saberstaff combat became more refined when it's stated outright that Kun remained one of the best of all time and that he got the design for the Saberstaff from a Sith holocron hundreds of thousands of years old.

Back on-topic however, I don't see Ulic being superior to pre-suit Vader in any manner so there is no reason for me to believe he'd enjoy a better fate than Vader did in similar circumstances.

Vodo never dealt with saber stuff. Unknown style and lack of knowledge how to defend against it played against him. Prove he was unparalled in mastery of Niman. He invented it. The style was refined since.

How is post-DE Luke relevant? They never dueled.

quote:
The creator of a form of combat will have a far more intimate familiarity with it than the standard master.

That's absolute bullshit.

"I am called a great swordsman because I invented a lethal style; but who is greater, the creator of a killing form-or the master of the classic form?" - Mace Windu.

quote:
The lightsaber forms had already existed for thousands of years by that point, and there is little evidence to suggest that they progressed much further beyond that point.

At that point saber staff style did not existed. It puts at disadvantage anyone who first time fought practitioner of saberstaff.

quote:
Maul and Opress are relative pipsqueaks next to the likes of Exar or Ulic.

Good luck proving it.

quote:
What on earth are you on about?? It was his ability to use the Force that was taken away from him, not his presence in the Force.

He was severed from the Force. It means he is void in the Force

"Fencing with Callista challenged Luke as well, because in any other foe, he could use the Force to sense emotional states, to detect subtle changes that foreshadowed impending moves, unexpected attacks, vicious tricks. But Callista was a disconcerting blank to him, an empty spot-which made her a worthy opponent. Although she could not sense his moves or his plans, he couldn't detect hers either." - Darksaber.

Callista was severed from the Force. But not completely, she could use Force again through darkside. Still Luke could not anticipate her.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 07:03 PM
Click here to Send Arhael a Private Message Find more posts by Arhael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

quote:
That's absolute bullshit.

"I am called a great swordsman because I invented a lethal style; but who is greater, the creator of a killing form-or the master of the classic form?" - Mace Windu.

Well that disproves it... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mace Windu was not simply making a statement about what is better between the creator of a form and the master of a form, but specifically what was greater between "the creator of a killing form" and "the master of the classic form" in a philosophical discussion about the nature of their chosen forms. The point he was making was that the likes of Yoda and Mace Windu were more dependent on their forms due to the fact that they answered specific weaknesses that they possessed, whereas Obi-Wan possessed no weaknesses that he would need to rely on a form to answer. This was also a discussion tailored around a hypothetical battle against Grievous, and Mace Windu was saying that due to the nature of Grievous's ability to mimic an opponent's form, the simplicity of Soresu was such that Grievous's ability to mimic it wouldn't be quite as effective, and what made Obi-Wan so perfectly suited for Grievous was that his understated ability with Soresu transcended the functional complexity of any form in that particular scenario. Nice try though.

A learner of something will never be more familiar with its workings than the person who created it (provided he did so knowingly, and hasn't forgotten aspects of it); at best you can equal the creator's familiarity but that entails attaining nothing short of perfection and is certainly nothing the standard master can be said to possess.

quote:
At that point saber staff style did not existed. It puts at disadvantage anyone who first time fought practitioner of saberstaff.

That's is incorrect, the weapon absolutely existed. Exar Kun simply developed a variant saberstaff and his own unique form of combat.

quote:
Good luck proving it.

That's what all the evidence points to. While Maul and Opress perform street level telekinesis Exar Kun has been able to use the Force to dominate thousands of individuals at once, and Ulic was able to remain competetive with him in a fight.

quote:

He was severed from the Force. It means he is void in the Force

"Fencing with Callista challenged Luke as well, because in any other foe, he could use the Force to sense emotional states, to detect subtle changes that foreshadowed impending moves, unexpected attacks, vicious tricks. But Callista was a disconcerting blank to him, an empty spot-which made her a worthy opponent. Although she could not sense his moves or his plans, he couldn't detect hers either." - Darksaber.

Callista was severed from the Force. But not completely, she could use Force again through darkside. Still Luke could not anticipate her.

Which is clearly a different condition to the one Ulic faced, as you yourself note that she could still use the darkside. What you're describing, being invisible in the Force but at the same time being able to use the darkside, is not at all similar to what happened to Ulic. It's made pretty clear that losing your connection to the Force doesn't make you invisible in it.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 09:40 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Kun did not create Niman though.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2014 09:42 PM