KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul

Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul
Started by: |King Joker|

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul

Obi-Wan as of Revenge of the Sith.
Maul as of The Phantom Menace.

Maul is bloodlusted. Battle takes place in an abandoned Tokyo.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 03:52 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Kenobeh

The North Remembers

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 03:55 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Force doesn't exist in Tokyo, so they have no Force enhancement. Maul is the only one of the two who has experience fighting an opponent without Force senses aiding him, has more experience fighting without Force augmentation, or while limiting it deliberately, and is generally in much better physical shape.

Take that, Kenobi fans.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 03:56 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

In this hypothetical the Force exists in Tokyo, ILS.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 03:59 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Prove it

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 04:01 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Kenobi wins again.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 04:02 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Kenobi

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 04:15 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Kind of surprised.

I WANNA HEAR SOME MAUL ARGUMENTS!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 04:25 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

quote: (post)
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Kind of surprised.

I WANNA HEAR SOME MAUL ARGUMENTS!

Me too!

Kenobi wins, though.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 04:51 PM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Agreed.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 04:52 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Yep, siding Obi-Wan. Have no fear, though, ILS will probably side with Maul.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 05:32 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

I have it either way, always will.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 05:36 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

If this wasn't merely TPM Maul I'd be inclined to pick him. Bloodlusted CW Maul can take Kenobi imo, since I feel the reason Kenobi can keep getting one up on him is Maul's own hubris and personality problems.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 05:41 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

TPM Maul is underrated as shit, lol.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 05:43 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Doesn't change that he's inferior to his CW counterpart, though. Kenobi's even more underrated, imo.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 05:47 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Maybe, but I just think that if he's lesser than CW Maul then he can't beat RotS Kenobi. Maybe you're underrating Obi.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 05:47 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Without Jason Fry's off-hand post towards Erkan regarding Maul's "more powerful" quote, any argument for him being a better duelist than TPM Maul would fall apart, as was always the case before. And even then, it wouldn't be the first time we've questioned creator commentary. The primary source material we've been given hasn't told us that CW Maul is a better duelist than when he was in TPM, and logically, he isn't.

I'm not underrating Obi-Wan, but Maul's placement as a duelist has always been set in stone based on his accolades and feats from TPM and prior.. not from stalemating TCW Kenobi briefly or fighting Mace Windu for one panel. Those feats and the others only reinforce where he always was.

I just don't see the edge RotS Kenobi has over TPM Maul. They're negligibly close as fighters.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 05:51 PM
Dominis

Well, in Shadow Conspiracy Maul's own musings seemed to indicate that his increase in power enhanced his saber prowess. He was making a direct comparison between his new power boost and Sidious's power, claiming that despite his power boost, he still found himself in awe of Sidious' blade work. In that context, he was seemingly referring to his force aided physicality and precognition being better than before.

That said, I think TPM Maul is still close to his CW self, IMO. It's just that he focused his power more on his dueling abilities, so we didn't see much else from him. Dooku also indicated that Maul, before he was rediscovered by Savage, was a great deal more powerful than Ventress, who herself has some insane force feats, believing that Maul's power was more than sufficient to fill in the gap in power between himself and Sidious, something he evidently didn't believe from Ventress's power.

Last edited by Dominis on Apr 10th, 2015 at 08:35 PM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 08:33 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I'm gonna agree with ILS. I never bought the idea that TCW Maul > TPM Maul in Sabers or by any Significant margin overall.

TCW Maul was out of practice for 10+years, and never even got back into using his Saber Staff (the weapon he was most adept in using). TPM Maul was at the height of his Saber skill IMO. His Saber skill is praised as unparalleled by numerous sources.

He will however likely lose his Force advantage over this Kenobi, and might not be quite as strong (maybe).

I'd say it's a Split. But probably majority to Kenobi. Whilst if this was TCW Maul I'd also say it's a Split but give Maul the majority due to his TK. And that's honestly the extent of the difference I see between TPM Maul and TCW Maul.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 08:45 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I'm gonna agree with ILS. I never bought the idea that TCW Maul > TPM Maul in Sabers or by any Significant margin overall.

TCW Maul was out of practice for 10+years, and never even got back into using his Saber Staff (the weapon he was most adept in using). TPM Maul was at the height of his Saber skill IMO. His Saber skill is praised as unparalleled by numerous sources.

He will however likely lose his Force advantage over this Kenobi, and might not be quite as strong (maybe).

I'd say it's a Split. But probably majority to Kenobi. Whilst if this was TCW Maul I'd also say it's a Split but give Maul the majority due to his TK. And that's honestly the extent of the difference I see between TPM Maul and TCW Maul.

Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Well, in Shadow Conspiracy Maul's own musings seemed to indicate that his increase in power enhanced his saber prowess. He was making a direct comparison between his new power boost and Sidious's power, claiming that despite his power boost, he still found himself in awe of Sidious' blade work. In that context, he was seemingly referring to his force aided physicality and precognition being better than before.

That said, I think TPM Maul is still close to his CW self, IMO. It's just that he focused his power more on his dueling abilities, so we didn't see much else from him. Dooku also indicated that Maul, before he was rediscovered by Savage, was a great deal more powerful than Ventress, who herself has some insane force feats, believing that Maul's power was more than sufficient to fill in the gap in power between himself and Sidious, something he evidently didn't believe from Ventress's power.

The North Remembers

Old Post Apr 10th, 2015 09:00 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote