KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Balance of the Force

Balance of the Force
Started by: Zampanó

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Balance of the Force

Over of Sufficient Velocity, a poster put up an argument that the Light Side of the force (which he equated to the Jedi Code) is as damaging as the Dark Side. They don't use the Lucas-is-King criteria of evidence there, so George's commentary on A New Hope regarding the Dark side as a cancer wasn't enough to settle the matter.

I'd be interested in opinions here:

How ought we interpret the Jedi prophecy regarding the Chosen One and the ultimate Balance of the Force?

One way of thinking suggests that the Chosen One needed to reduce the numbers of both Jedi and Sith.

Another approach might be to claim that the balance was obtained because the Sith were destroyed at Endor, while the Jedi Order survived in Luke.

for reference, the post from SV:

quote:

Original Jedi Code

quote:
Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

That looks rather like a balanced force to me. While
quote:

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Is what the Jedi order had become, causing an imbalance in the force.

What this tells us is that Emotion should be embraced, Ignorance is not an enemy, passion can lead you to serenity, chaos is not the enemy and that while death occurs it is not the end. That seems pretty clear then that an excess of the light side, ie No emotion only peace is just as bad as the flip side which would be No peace only emotion. Both are required.

So unless you want to take the stance that all Light side or Modern Jedi should be purged to all balance then you should not take the side that all dark jedi should be purged to allow balance. Going in either direction is disruptive. You will note, that the prophesy was that Anakin Skywalker WOULD bring balance to the force. He very clearly did so, mainly by purging the excess of LIGHT jedi so that there could be a balance between light and dark. Theoretically he could have done the same by teaching them all tolerance and the ability to accept emotion, ignorance, passion, chaos and death, but that wasn't really an option at the time.

Then let's contrast with the sith code.

quote:
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through Strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Edited below for clarity of contrast:
What I find most striking is that it directly rejects only one line of either the Original or Latter versions of the Jedi code. And that the Light side code has the exact same if opposite change.

Original
Emotion yet peace.
Overly light
No emotion, there is peace.
Overly dark
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

So new Jedi are just as imbalanced as Sith.

It is quite possible that Jedi followers of the old code would have gone to war just as viciously against the Jedi Council of Yoda's time as with the Sith of their own as both Sith and Jedi are examples of unbalanced force users.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 06:17 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

I think balance to the force was secured by destroying darth sidious*, the most dangerous, powerful, intelligent, successful, and skilled sith lord of all time.

*Who is way better than Nihilus.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 02:24 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

laughing out loud

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 03:37 PM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

This is such a coincidence. I lost my balance and almost fell the other day and now you make this thread.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 05:23 PM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Nah, I agree with Lucas's ideas. That Sith are bad, Jedi are good, and to bring balance one has to destroy the Sith.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 05:31 PM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slash_KMC
Retired Helper

By the way, this is posted on the wrong forums. I suggest closing of the thread and banning of the OP for his incompetence.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 09:30 PM
Click here to Send Slash_KMC a Private Message Find more posts by Slash_KMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Personally I agree with interpretation that the Force was needlessly dickish with Anakin. It could have impregnated someone in a much better environment where they'd grow up healthily, get inducted by the Jedi at a good age and shit on Sidious without all the Jedi dying and 20 years of horror being inflicted on everyone.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 09:45 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Force works in mysterious ways, Neph.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

"To say that the Force works in mysterious ways is to admit one's ignorance."

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 10:51 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Nothing mysterious about it. It birthed a demi-god into slavery where he'd grow up to become a crazy person and allow for the suffering of trillions. The Force is timeless, it knows the future. It knows what effects it can bring about.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 10:51 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

it was Jar Jar

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 10:53 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Nothing mysterious about it. It birthed a demi-god into slavery where he'd grow up to become a crazy person and allow for the suffering of trillions. The Force is timeless, it knows the future. It knows what effects it can bring about.
The sufferings of the individuals are irrelevant to the cosmic force, which is why Kreia hated it in the first place.

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Oct 31st, 2015 10:57 PM