KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Clone troopers vs Stormtroopers

Clone troopers vs Stormtroopers
Started by: Total Warrior

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Clone troopers vs Stormtroopers

So, the most elite army ever created vs the soldiers of the greatest empire ever existed

So assume there 100 clones vs 100 storms
Standard equipment, no vehicles etc

Who would win?

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 01:42 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

storms got killed by ewoks, they pale in comparison to the clones who massacred the Jedi

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 06:43 PM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

You may as well just flip a coin frankly.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 06:46 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

Even if we dismiss the lousy showings of the stromtroopers, the clones should be, in general, physically and mentally superior and more fit to warfare than the average trooper.

"On the edge of sanity"

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 07:05 PM
Click here to Send TenebrousWay a Private Message Find more posts by TenebrousWay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathslash
Pyromaniacal Humanitarian

Stormtroopers have crappy armor, terrible aim, and sub par tactical ability. Clone troopers are trained from birth in how to fight, how to plan an attack, are a tightly knit army of brothers that always look out for each other, and regularly face an unstopping tide of steel and blasters that usually outnumbers them ten to one.

This is a massive mismatch.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 09:07 PM
Click here to Send deathslash a Private Message Find more posts by deathslash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Clone troopers. All the apologetics for stormies in the world doesn't change the superiority of the clones.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jun 24th, 2017 11:33 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

I love how genuinely inept everyone on this forum is on anything Star Wars related that isn't to do with force users.

Though I guess a lot of them are inept when it comes to that too

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 12:03 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Selenial
I love how genuinely inept everyone on this forum is on anything Star Wars related that isn't to do with force users.

Hey now..

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 12:20 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Selenial

Inept?

Zenwolf has provided some pretty solid arguments for stormtroopers being underrated in the past, but as far as I can tell the superiority of clone troopers is established in the lore regardless of whether or not stormtroopers are elite or absolute shit

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 12:21 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Never really saw any huge disparity between them frankly, any advantage is kinda negilable hence why I feel this is more a coin toss.

That and all the variables with it being 100 vs 100

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jun 25th, 2017 at 12:28 AM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 12:25 AM
Vorpal Ruin
Jedi Master

Aren't a lot of Stormtroopers clone troopers?

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 12:45 AM
Click here to Send Vorpal Ruin a Private Message Find more posts by Vorpal Ruin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

Not sure, if Palpatine had thought the Stormtroopers would be significantly less effective than the Clones, I doubt he would have phased them out in the way that he did. He would have continued cloning them, despite the Clone Rebellion on Kamino. So their skill levels should be at least comparable. And given the time span from the Republic's peak in the Clone War, to the Empire's peak in the OT, the technology would have undergone a decent jump. So it's a case of whether or not we think the Clones' superior training (however small or large that gap might be) is enough to beat out the Stormtrooper's tech advantage. Personally, I feel the Imps are only marginally below the Clones in terms of combat skill, and that their tech advantage should be enough to make up the difference. So I'll side with the Stormtroopers for a majority, but I can just as easily see an argument for the Clones.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 01:52 AM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by darthbane77
Not sure, if Palpatine had thought the Stormtroopers would be significantly less effective than the Clones, I doubt he would have phased them out in the way that he did. He would have continued cloning them, despite the Clone Rebellion on Kamino. So their skill levels should be at least comparable.

Not really tbh, it's not unreasonable to suggest that Palpatine would trade off the efficiency of each individual trooper for a staggeringly greater number of them. A Kaminoan Clone takes ten years to produce and train, whereas a clown grown in a Spaarti cloning cylinder (as many of the stormtroopers were) takes only around a year, and training an enlisted recruit takes only two years.

If the GAR and Imperial Army were at war, the Imperial Army would have a staggering number advantage... however this is specifically 100 on 100, even numbers, whereas Palpatine was not opting for an army of less efficient soldiers that was the same size as the one he had before.

And given the time span from the Republic's peak in the Clone War, to the Empire's peak in the OT, the technology would have undergone a decent jump. So it's a case of whether or not we think the Clones' superior training (however small or large that gap might be) is enough to beat out the Stormtrooper's tech advantage. Personally, I feel the Imps are only marginally below the Clones in terms of combat skill, and that their tech advantage should be enough to make up the difference. So I'll side with the Stormtroopers for a majority, but I can just as easily see an argument for the Clones.

The clone troopers of the GAR were trained from birth to do nothing but be soldiers and grew up with their comrades, whereas imperial storm trooper training for recruits is only two years, and the clones grown in spaarti cylinders were grown to maturity in only a year and only given flash-training... I think the people in this thread are seriously underplaying the difference in the length and quality of the training the clone troopers of the Republic and the Stormtroopers of the Empire underwent... that's not even to mention the considerably greater combat experience your average clone trooper would have in comparison with your average stormtrooper given the clone army was fighting a full-scale war against an army that had them considerably outnumbered whereas the Empire was fighting a war against a Rebel Alliance they significantly outnumbered who usually resorted to guerrilla tactics against the Empire.

If there were vehicles and artillery involved, I could see your point about the differences in technology, however this fight is 100 vs 100 standard equipment no vehicles, and as far as their armor goes, stormtrooper armor is more of a tradeoff than an advancement over clone trooper armor, with clone trooper armor being able to withstand more direct damage but stormtrooper armor being better suited for the environment (in fact I'd go so far as to say Clone troopers have the advantage here, since unless this fight takes place in some seriously hazardous terrain, being able to withstand damage is far more important than coping with environmental hazards), and as far as I can tell their standard armaments are quite similar though the stormtrooper's E-11 seems a bit more advanced than the clone trooper's DC-15S.

All in all, the technology difference wouldn't be all that prevalent in this fight given there are no vehicles and artillery or special units and that these soldiers are equipped with standard weaponry, of which the armor is a tradeoff and the stormtroopers' blasters are superior, however either way generally if you shoot someone they stay down, so I'd say the underplayed difference in training here is more than enough to outweigh the storm troopers having better blasters.

Last edited by Emperordmb on Jun 25th, 2017 at 02:45 AM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 02:41 AM
deathslash

Not sure, if Palpatine had thought the Stormtroopers would be significantly less effective than the Clones, I doubt he would have phased them out in the way that he did. He would have continued cloning them, despite the Clone Rebellion on Kamino. So their skill levels should be at least comparable. And given the time span from the Republic's peak in the Clone War, to the Empire's peak in the OT, the technology would have undergone a decent jump. So it's a case of whether or not we think the Clones' superior training (however small or large that gap might be) is enough to beat out the Stormtrooper's tech advantage. Personally, I feel the Imps are only marginally below the Clones in terms of combat skill, and that their tech advantage should be enough to make up the difference. So I'll side with the Stormtroopers for a majority, but I can just as easily see an argument for the Clones.
Do stormtroopers have anything on clones technology? I know that their armor is undeniably garbage and the vast majority of them couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, so how is this going in favor of the stormtroopers?

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 02:44 AM
Click here to Send deathslash a Private Message Find more posts by deathslash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

I was actually not aware of a lot of that. Interesting. Then again, my area of expertise is definitely not the Clone War/Empire eras. I'll have to look into it some more.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 02:45 AM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Never really saw any huge disparity between them frankly, any advantage is kinda negilable hence why I feel this is more a coin toss.

That and all the variables with it being 100 vs 100

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 03:00 AM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

a lifetime of training vs 2 years of training and clones grown in a year seems like a disparity.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 03:08 AM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Emperordmb
a lifetime of training vs 2 years of training and clones grown in a year seems like a disparity.

There's only so much training before it becomes redundant, a lifetime is not needed. It's not like the clones weren't still getting killed no matter how much training they had.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 03:12 AM
deathslash

Originally posted by Zenwolf
There's only so much training before it becomes redundant, a lifetime is not needed. It's not like the clones weren't still getting killed no matter how much training they had.
that was usually because they were out numbered 10-1. Just look at the feats of random clones for instance: Hevy soloed a few squads worth of droids before achieving his primary mission of blowing up the base that he was in (this happened after he downed a few commando droids btw), the clones on umbara took out a legitimate Jedi Master in the form of General Krell, Cut (a clone that wanted nothing to do with the war) soloed multiple commando droids on his own. All that without even bringing up the clone commandos.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 04:48 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Clones, no question.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jun 25th, 2017 05:42 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote