KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Vader vs Tenebrous

Darth Vader vs Tenebrous
Started by: twotter

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Darth Vader vs Tenebrous

I feel like this hasn't been done before.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:43 PM
Click here to Send twotter a Private Message Find more posts by twotter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

Never thought of this.
RotJ or Knightfall?

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:45 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Return OTJ

“We defeated the wrong enemy” - General George S. Patton, Berlin 1945

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:46 PM
Click here to Send twotter a Private Message Find more posts by twotter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Tenebrous, tbh.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:46 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MythLord
Tenebrous, tbh.

.. Controversial

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:48 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Re: Darth Vader vs Tenebrous

Originally posted by twotter
I feel like this hasn't been done before.

It's probably been done about a thousand times, Ziggy.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:51 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Darth Vader vs Tenebrous

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
It's probably been done about a thousand times, Ziggy.

Let's do it 1001, thoughts?

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:52 PM
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

Tenebrous wins holisticaly.

"On the edge of sanity"

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 08:02 PM
Click here to Send TenebrousWay a Private Message Find more posts by TenebrousWay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thesithmaster
Dark Lord of the Sith

Tenebrous snaps his neck.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 08:12 PM
Click here to Send thesithmaster a Private Message Find more posts by thesithmaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChocolateMuesli

I see Tene winning narrowly.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 08:14 PM
Click here to Send ChocolateMuesli a Private Message Find more posts by ChocolateMuesli Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by TenebrousWay
Tenebrous wins holistically.

So because Tenebrous is better than Bane and some unknown sith in between, he's better than the broken potential of the Chosen One?

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 08:15 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

It never ceases to amaze how little you need to actually know about a character to know how powerful they are.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 08:20 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

kek

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 09:12 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

So because Tenebrous is better than Bane and some unknown sith in between, he's better than the broken potential of the Chosen One?

Likely.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 09:14 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Likely.

Not really likely though is it.

Vader has far more going for him in the quote wars facility, a feats argument, of course would be a joke for Teneb. That would be true if I pitted him against Tott Donetta. But as the biggest authorial intent proponent here yourself, I suppose you'll gladly accept the idea of Vader being 80% post ANH Sidious. Does that not count as enough to be holistically above Tenebrous?

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 09:22 PM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Vader, LMAO.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 09:25 PM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

But as the biggest authorial intent proponent here yourself,

Since when has that been a thing?

quote:
I suppose you'll gladly accept the idea of Vader being 80% post ANH Sidious. Does that not count as enough to be holistically above Tenebrous?

Not necessarily, since we don't have any other characters to use as a reference on that scale other than full potential Anakin, whose power isn't clearly defined. What does "80%" mean, exactly? Where would your average Jedi Master fall? 10%? 20%? 40%? We don't really know.

George did say that Vader was more comparable to Maul or Dooku than to Palpatine after being maimed, though, so it's likely that he considers a 20% difference to be pretty substantial.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 10:28 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lazybones

Hm, interesting. Vader has more raw power, but Tenebrous has greater esoteric knowledge and a superior mastery of the force. In lighsaber combat, it's hard to tell precisely how Tenebrous would perform with a blade. But several more decades of practice, along with not having to redesign his lightsaber form halfway through his life like Vader did, should at least put Tenebrous in the same ballpark as Vader. And while Vader has more feats in the dueling department, I don't recall any duelists that he has defeated that would really be outside of a late-Banite Master's paygrade. Particularly one whose speciality is lightsaber dueling.

All in all, I'd give it Tenebrous, but Vader could probably win a few rounds.

Last edited by lazybones on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 11:35 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 11:30 PM
Click here to Send lazybones a Private Message Find more posts by lazybones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NewGuy01
[B]Since when has that been a thing?

Regarding your stance and authorial intent?

The standing is made pretty clear. You believe what the author has in mind during the conception of a text is the correct and absolute interpretation of an event, and that a separation between the intent of the writer and what's written on paper doesn't exist. I don't necessarily agree, and while my opinion is supported by some modern literary criticism, notably in Wimstatt and Beardsley's "The Intentional Fallacy" and Barthes' Death of the Author essay, we can get into that argument another time.

You are a fan of word of god theory, and if every other Star Wars writer was an arch angel, or a prophet of God, Lucas is the Father almighty.

quote:
Not necessarily, since we don't have any other characters to use as a reference on that scale other than full potential Anakin, whose power isn't clearly defined.

Actually... yes he is.

The Hypothetical Anakin is meant to be 200% of Palpatine. That's a pretty clear and precise definition, even moreso than the Gillard tiers. The only nebulous factor is which version of Palaptine is being referred to. ROTS Sidious or beyond? Either way, Teneb doesn't really compare.

quote:
What does "80%" mean, exactly?

80% means 80%. You understand basic math right? If I bench 100Kg for 1 rep and you can do 80% of that, how much are you benching? Think of the same but with Telekinesis.

quote:
Where would your average Jedi Master fall? 10%? 20%? 40%? We don't really know.

I can't tell you either, but somehow, on that same note, you're fairly certain that Vader was eventually passed in between the ranks of bane and Tenebrous, based on...? not much really. In the case of accolade wars, the best we can say is that neither receive scaling from the other. As Vader is certainly not in the line of banite's predating Tene, and the latter might be close 80% to ROTJ Sidious, although i wouldn't hold my breath on such a stance. Other than that, we have feats for both, which Vader is pretty laughably winning in any comparison.

quote:
George did say that Vader was more comparable to Maul or Dooku than to Palpatine after being maimed

I mean, I would hope that 19 bby Vader, at his most physiologically compromised point, with a broken body, is more comparable to those two than Sidious. We'd have a true spite thread on our hands then if the opposite were true. But are you going to tell me that he didn't improve from that point upwards until ROTJ, his most powerful point? Because that would be the case if this statement were to have any relevance in this thread.

quote:
though, so it's likely that he considers a 20% difference to be pretty substantial.

So now you're speculating the intent behind the authorial intent. Did you have the conversation with Lucas himself on this topic? because that's the only way we're getting a straight answer on the matter of Lucas' thoughts. But 20% is what he said, and that what we have to go from. And as an exact percentage, the difference isn't substantial.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 11:37 PM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Tenebrous has zero going for him here, yeah.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 11:45 PM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote