KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Vader vs Anakin (Disney Canon)

Vader vs Anakin (Disney Canon)
Started by: banana3

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
banana3

Vader vs Anakin (Disney Canon)

who wins?

Old Post Jan 6th, 2018 09:33 PM
Click here to Send banana3 a Private Message Find more posts by banana3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lazybones

Eh, it's tricky. Vader has been stated to be above Anakin in Canon on more than one occasion, I think. On the other hand, however, I believe SW.com says that Sidious knew suited Vader would be weaker. All in all, I'd probably give it to Anakin on account of greater agility, speed and force reserves, coupled with considerably better lightsaber skill than Ahsoka had (who gave Vader a good fight). But it's a lot less clear cut than it would be if these were the Legends incarnations of these characters.

Last edited by lazybones on Jan 6th, 2018 at 09:43 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2018 09:41 PM
Click here to Send lazybones a Private Message Find more posts by lazybones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Internal monologues in Canon books were stated by Pablo Hidalgo to be non-canon, so Vader's musing that he's more powerful than Anakin is tossed.

That brings us to looking at feats, which shows Anakin wins easily.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 6th, 2018 09:44 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
banana3

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Internal monologues in Canon books were stated by Pablo Hidalgo to be non-canon, so Vader's musing that he's more powerful than Anakin is tossed.

That brings us to looking at feats, which shows Anakin wins easily.
These aren't monologues: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/yOA5b
https://m.imgur.com/HwKzAry

or do they still count?

Old Post Jan 6th, 2018 10:55 PM
Click here to Send banana3 a Private Message Find more posts by banana3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samappo

What how did Ashoka give Vader a good fight? She was barely holding Vader off.

The Sith are not placid stars but singularities. Rather than burn with muted purpose, we warp space and time to twist the galaxy to our own design. - Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 6th, 2018 10:56 PM
Click here to Send samappo a Private Message Find more posts by samappo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pessimystic
Restricted

Account Restricted

Struggling so much that she almost decapitated him thumb up

Vader was just swinging his saber around like an idiot, it was a truly terrible fight scene.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 01:14 AM
Click here to Send Pessimystic a Private Message Find more posts by Pessimystic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

I get the feeling that Vader, having experienced first hand how to get taken apart as his younger self, would be able to manipulate the duel like Obiwan had and dismember his younger self after a good fight.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 01:26 AM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samappo

Originally posted by Pessimystic
Struggling so much that she almost decapitated him thumb up

You're referring to when she took advantage of Vader being distracted ... which was after the duel took place where Vader forced her to the edge of the temple then force pushed her off... talk about blatant ignorance of context. smile

Originally posted by Pessimystic
Vader was just swinging his saber around like an idiot, it was a truly terrible fight scene.
[/b]

It actually makes sense. Vader is relatively new to his suit and armor, and his attacks are deliberate, strong and sweeping two handed attacks, much like ... you know, what Djem So is. In the later part of the duel, we find Vader actually refining his approach, it appears as though he's deftly overpowering her.

The Sith are not placid stars but singularities. Rather than burn with muted purpose, we warp space and time to twist the galaxy to our own design. - Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 01:32 AM
Click here to Send samappo a Private Message Find more posts by samappo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pessimystic
Restricted

Account Restricted

Someone being distracted isn't an excuse anymore. He should've sensed her, or at the very least heard her coming and reacted.

This is Vader's prime, stop excusing his patheticness. Oh yes please, explain to me what Djem So is as if I didn't already know. Vader is far more clunky and 'grounded' than any other form five practitioner we've seen so don't try and tell me it's straight from the textbook.

So Vader has magically become more refined in a matter of minutes? Wow, overpowering Ahsoka Tano who'd been fighting inquisitors and Darth Maul (possibly/likely on a dark side nexus) for the past half hour.

Last edited by Pessimystic on Jan 7th, 2018 at 03:43 AM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 03:35 AM
Click here to Send Pessimystic a Private Message Find more posts by Pessimystic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Anakin wins. I've said for years the suit unquestionably decreased his mobility. It's funny how many posters have argued with me for years that Darth Vader in the suit was greater only to have the obvious blow up in their silly faces. Vader at his best was in rots prior to the suit. Vindication feels fantastic, fanboys.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 03:03 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Originally posted by samappo
What how did Ashoka give Vader a good fight? She was barely holding Vader off.
Are you under some impression that Vader was cakewalking to victory, or that being on the defensive and giving a good fight against someone is mutually exclusive?

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 08:35 AM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I mean I don't really know what else they could've done to make it seem like a fight without making Ahsoka look like his rough equal.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:05 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

thumb up

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:08 AM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samappo

Originally posted by |King Joker|
Are you under some impression that Vader was cakewalking to victory, or that being on the defensive and giving a good fight against someone is mutually exclusive?

I didn't imply cakewalk. Regardless of Ahsoka's clear use of Ataru, she appears to be so preoccupied with defending Vader's hits that we don't see her jumping around to get past Vader's guard. We also find her facial expressions and the way her arms react when Vader's strong attacks overpower her defenses as a negative for her. Also in that bout, Vader wins. He pushes her off the edge of the temple.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:25 AM
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

I didn't imply cakewalk.
Sure, but you implied that Ahsoka didn't give Vader a good fight, which in turn implies that Vader wasn't having much difficulty. The essence of what you seemed to be saying was that Vader was beating Ahsoka relatively easily, which the word 'cakewalk' encaptures, in my opinion. But fair enough, I guess.

Regardless of Ahsoka's clear use of Ataru, she appears to be so preoccupied with defending Vader's hits that we don't see her jumping around to get past Vader's guard. We also find her facial expressions and the way her arms react when Vader's strong attacks overpower her defenses as a negative for her.
I don't think you're really proving what you think you're proving. Ahsoka being put on the defensive, and as a result, being strained, does not preclude the idea that she was putting up a more than respectable defense against one of the most prolific and brutally effective duelists in canon. Ahsoka lasted a good amount of time and in the process put up a steady defense that visibly required Vader to output a vigorous offensive to wear down and landed a physical strike to the head and a Force push. But I have a question for you: What exactly would Ahsoka Tano have had to do in order for you to believe that she acquitted herself well against Darth Vader?

Also in that bout, Vader wins. He pushes her off the edge of the temple.
I'm aware? What do you think I'm arguing?

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 10:00 AM
Pessimystic
Restricted

Account Restricted

Are people seriously still arguing about this? Ahsoka was a legitimate challenge for a Prime nexus-amped Vader, despite fighting Inquisitors and Maul for a decent period of time beforehand.

Last edited by Pessimystic on Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:38 AM

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 10:34 AM
Pessimystic
Restricted

Account Restricted

He pushes her off the edge of the temple.

Sorry, but since when does pushing your opponent away equal victory?

She comes back unharmed and lands a hit.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 10:35 AM