KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Vader (RotJ) vs. Count Dooku (RotS) - sabers only

Darth Vader (RotJ) vs. Count Dooku (RotS) - sabers only
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Darth Vader (RotJ) vs. Count Dooku (RotS) - sabers only

Legends

Old Post Jan 19th, 2018 12:14 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naugrim
Restricted

Account Restricted

Vader.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2018 12:59 AM
Click here to Send Naugrim a Private Message Find more posts by Naugrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Canon: Dooku
Legends: Vader

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 19th, 2018 01:04 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lazybones

Dooku. Vader was a shadow of his former self as of ANH, and I'm not convinced that he grew enough in terms of skill between ANH-RotJ to beat Dooku. Because logically, how would he have done so? Not a lot of opportunity to practice in that era, or to pick up any knowledge that he didn't have already.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2018 01:04 AM
Click here to Send lazybones a Private Message Find more posts by lazybones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Dooku imho.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 02:54 PM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Yeah, Dooku takes sabers only in a bloodbath, imho.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 02:55 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

thumb up

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 02:56 PM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sirion_Of_Doom
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lazybones
Dooku. Vader was a shadow of his former self as of ANH, and I'm not convinced that he grew enough in terms of skill between ANH-RotJ to beat Dooku. Because logically, how would he have done so? Not a lot of opportunity to practice in that era, or to pick up any knowledge that he didn't have already.

But the exact same source that claims that Vader was a shadow of his former self in ANH also describes how much skill he had gained by ESB?

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 03:04 PM
Click here to Send Sirion_Of_Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Sirion_Of_Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Vader in both

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 05:09 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lazybones

Originally posted by Sirion_Of_Doom
But the exact same source that claims that Vader was a shadow of his former self in ANH also describes how much skill he had gained by ESB?
Yes, I'm aware of that. But frankly, I don't see how Vader could have gained so much skill in such a short space of time. After all, there wasn't exactly much in the way of competition during that period, and I doubt he could have picked up anything in terms of knowledge that he hadn't already learnt in the decades prior. It just doesn't make much sense, really.

But even if we do assume he improved vastly between ANH and ESB, I doubt that would be enough to go from vastly sub-RotS Kenobi to Dooku+. And there's only 1 year between ESB and RotJ. It'd be a brutal fight for sure, but I'd still give it to Dooku. When it comes to lightsaber dueling, he has the better resume.

Last edited by lazybones on Jan 21st, 2018 at 05:38 PM

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 05:23 PM
Click here to Send lazybones a Private Message Find more posts by lazybones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sirion_Of_Doom
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, I'm aware of that.

Then don't ignore it... It's canonlegends and its content is legitimate.

But frankly, I don't see how Vader could have gained so much skill in such a short space of time.

By practicing with his lightsaber, probably. And three years passed, right? That's a good amount of time.

After all, there wasn't exactly much in the way of competition during that period, and I doubt he could have picked up anything in terms of knowledge that he hadn't already learnt in the decades prior. It just doesn't make much sense, really.

Fighting ''competition'' isn't the only way to improve. Maul, for example, primarily practiced on his own, and the same was probably true for most Banite Sith.

But even if we do assume he improved vastly between ANH and ESB,

It's a fact, and not really a questionable one at that. No assumptions needed.

I doubt that would be enough to go from vastly sub-RotS Kenobi to Dooku+. And there's only 1 year between ESB and RotJ. It'd be a brutal fight for sure, but I'd still give it to Dooku. When it comes to lightsaber dueling, he has the better resume.

See, this is a much more fair assessment. I'm inclined to agree.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 06:58 PM
Click here to Send Sirion_Of_Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Sirion_Of_Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

thumb up was about to mention Maul as an example myself actually.

Also Mace and co. before TPM. Hardly any real competition apart from sparring partners.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 07:22 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

Could go either way tbh. Would be an epic duel

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 11:37 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote