KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Gethzerion runs the gauntlet

Gethzerion runs the gauntlet
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Gethzerion runs the gauntlet

Full rest blah blah, Force attacks only

Trash: Darth Xedriss
1. Obi Wan
2. Darth Maul
3. Vaylin
4. Dooku
5. Darth Tenebrous (no MM)
6. Darth Plagueis (no MM)
7. RotS Sidious
8. RotJ Sidious

EDIT:

Round 1: on Dathomir
Round 2: neutral setting

Last edited by The Ellimist on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 02:14 PM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:12 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

On Dathomir? Like Talzin, Gethzerion likely has little power in a neutral setting.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:13 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

Round 1: falls at 6.
Round 2: falls at 1.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:57 PM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Eh Palpatine feared Gethzerion even off-Dathomir.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:17 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

Obi-Wan should be higher than Maul, to be fair.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:20 PM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

Her Dathomir Lightning showing is something Starkiller could probably replicate.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:26 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Eh Palpatine feared Gethzerion even off-Dathomir.

I imagine Sidious feared Talzin running about too.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 03:54 PM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:49 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

-

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 04:21 PM
Underachiever59

Originally posted by Geistalt
Her Dathomir Lightning showing is something Starkiller could probably replicate.

Did she even use lightning in the book? I know Wookieepedia refers to her attack against Luke as lightning, but I don't recall The Courtship of Princess Leia ever actually mention her using Force Lightning, and the way it's described how she took out Luke, it sounded more like a Nightsister spell of some kind. Luke wasn't cooked, shocked, ect. He was given a brain aneurism. Sure doesn't seem "lightning-y" to me.

Anywho, for the actual topic on-hand. Sidious was afraid of Gethzerion escaping Dathomir. So afraid that he dedicated considerable resources to completely blockade the planet. Why blockade an entire planet when you could just send your enforcer, Vader, down there to kill the threat? Because that threat might be powerful enough to kill Vader. (And unlike in most of the cases where Palpatine tries to kill Vader, there wouldn't even be a chance of getting a better replacement out of Vader's loss.) The way Courtship of Princess Leia reads, it legitimately seems as though Gethzerion is a Sidious-level foe. I think in Round 1, she'd make it at least to Plagueis, possibly even beating him. And with how well we know Talzin was able to hold up against Sidious in Son of Dathomir, I think Gethzerion has a serious chance of threatening RotS Sidious. Don't think she takes RotJ Sidious, but it'd still be close.

(For the record, I'm comparing Gethzerion to Talzin here specifically because Sidious seemingly felt even more threatened by Gethzerion than he did by Talzin. He didn't try to blockade Dathomir when Talzin was in charge, and instead had Dooku send Grievous to try and take her down. When Gethzerion was in charge, he refused to let even a single ship land on the planet for fear that Gethzerion would escape and wreck havoc upon his rule of the galaxy.)

Off Dathomir, she's definitely going to be weaker. However, Talzin, while away from Dathomir, was able to put up a fight against Mace Windu for a short while, and the power of her lightning didn't seem all that diminished. Talzin was also able to perform some impressive feats of Nightsister sorcery while off Dathomir, being able to fade into and manifest from mist, summon a blade of energy capable of matching a lightsaber, ect. I'd say off Dathomir, Gethzerion might make it to Dooku before meeting her match, if the amount of power she loses is comparable to what happened to Talzin.

Honestly, I really want to see a match between Talzin and Gethzerion. Sure, Gethzerion doesn't have many feats, but they were both powerful and respected leaders of Nightsister clans, and they were both perceived as threats to Sidious himself.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 06:11 AM
Click here to Send Underachiever59 a Private Message Find more posts by Underachiever59 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Underachiever59

Originally posted by Underachiever59
Did she even use lightning in the book? I know Wookieepedia refers to her attack against Luke as lightning, but I don't recall The Courtship of Princess Leia ever actually mention her using Force Lightning, and the way it's described how she took out Luke, it sounded more like a Nightsister spell of some kind. Luke wasn't cooked, shocked, ect. He was given a brain aneurism. Sure doesn't seem "lightning-y" to me.

Anywho, for the actual topic on-hand. Sidious was afraid of Gethzerion escaping Dathomir. So afraid that he dedicated considerable resources to completely blockade the planet. Why blockade an entire planet when you could just send your enforcer, Vader, down there to kill the threat? Because that threat might be powerful enough to kill Vader. (And unlike in most of the cases where Palpatine tries to kill Vader, there wouldn't even be a chance of getting a better replacement out of Vader's loss.) The way Courtship of Princess Leia reads, it legitimately seems as though Gethzerion is a Sidious-level foe. I think in Round 1, she'd make it at least to Plagueis, possibly even beating him. And with how well we know Talzin was able to hold up against Sidious in Son of Dathomir, I think Gethzerion has a serious chance of threatening RotS Sidious. Don't think she takes RotJ Sidious, but it'd still be close.

(For the record, I'm comparing Gethzerion to Talzin here specifically because Sidious seemingly felt even more threatened by Gethzerion than he did by Talzin. He didn't try to blockade Dathomir when Talzin was in charge, and instead had Dooku send Grievous to try and take her down. When Gethzerion was in charge, he refused to let even a single ship land on the planet for fear that Gethzerion would escape and wreck havoc upon his rule of the galaxy.)

Off Dathomir, she's definitely going to be weaker. However, Talzin, while away from Dathomir, was able to put up a fight against Mace Windu for a short while, and the power of her lightning didn't seem all that diminished. Talzin was also able to perform some impressive feats of Nightsister sorcery while off Dathomir, being able to fade into and manifest from mist, summon a blade of energy capable of matching a lightsaber, ect. I'd say off Dathomir, Gethzerion might make it to Dooku before meeting her match, if the amount of power she loses is comparable to what happened to Talzin.

Honestly, I really want to see a match between Talzin and Gethzerion. Sure, Gethzerion doesn't have many feats, but they were both powerful and respected leaders of Nightsister clans, and they were both perceived as threats to Sidious himself.

Found the scene where Gethzerion attacks Luke. Doesn't appear to be Force lightning at all.

quote:
She pointed a finger at Luke, and before Luke even recognized her evil intent, a ripple of Force slammed into him. White lights exploded behind his eyes, and the right side of his face felt as if it had been smashed by a hammer. His left arm and right leg crumpled under their unbearable weight, and he dropped to the ground on one knee, stunned. All the noise and blaster fire and screams of pain died away, became a distant roaring. Gethzerion pointed at him again, twitched her finger, and his eyes lost focus. He felt the hammer blow to his left temple, dropped to his side and rolled over to his back, gasping. Luke stared up at the sky, watching streams of rocks hurtling above him--some propelled by the Force, others hurled by rancors.

Time seemed to slow. His head throbbed, pounding to the same rhythm as the beating of his heart. His face had gone cold, numb, and Luke realized distantly that Gethzerion's spell had ripped open blood vessels in his brain, and he was about to die, one among hundreds of fatalities on this battlefield.

So this is how it would have been, if Vader had tried to kill me. Who had Luke been kidding? Teneniel had been right, Luke was no warrior. Ben, Luke thought. I failed you. I've failed you all. And suddenly there was a wave of pain, and Luke tried to remember who he'd just been talking to, tried to think of a name, someone he could call for help, but his mind was numb, empty, like the vast deserts of Tatooine lying naked beneath the suns.

Luke explicitly refers to what Gethzerion did as a "spell," so it was neither TK nor Force Lightning. She later does the same trick against General Melvar and over a hundred stormtroopers. Han witnesses Gethzerion make 'a raking motion with her index finger' and suddenly Melvar clitches his temple before staggering forward and dying. Over a hundred stormtroopers around them all die in a similar staggering motion. So clearly, Gethzerion was using Nightsister magic to give people brain aneurysms, not throwing around Force lightning in the book. There is a different Nightsister who was described using lightning in The Courtship of Princess Leia, but it wasn't Gethzerion.

Also worth noting (irrelevant to this thread as it is) that the line where Luke refers to "if Vader had tried to kill [him]" comes after Luke was dealt a serious brain injury, and his mind is dying. So it's an inappropriate line to be used for scaling and saying whether or not RotJ Vader was greater than RotJ Luke, since Luke was an unreliable narrator at the time he thought the line (dying from a bleeding brain and all).

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 06:33 AM
Click here to Send Underachiever59 a Private Message Find more posts by Underachiever59 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Yeah plenty of sources including Vader himself say Luke>=Vader by ROTJ. Cronal says he is stronger than him 6 months after ROTJ.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 07:00 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Which ones?

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 05:05 PM
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
On Dathomir? Like Talzin, Gethzerion likely has little power in a neutral setting.

Talzin still managed to match Mace for sometime off of Dathomir.

The North Remembers

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 07:08 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote