KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Qui Gon Jinn vs TPM Dooku

Qui Gon Jinn vs TPM Dooku
Started by: LordOfTheLight

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LordOfTheLight

Qui Gon Jinn vs TPM Dooku

The two great Jedi Masters, a former master apprebrice pair face off against each other.

All out. Morals on but fighting seriously. Fight takes place in the fields of Dantooine. Who wins?

Old Post Apr 1st, 2018 02:25 PM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Dooku had fenced Qui-Gon thousands of times, and he
knew every weakness of the Ataro form, with its ridiculous acrobatics."

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 1st, 2018 02:41 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

There's also the fact that Dooku was stated to be =/> Mace before he even left the Order... Which means he was regarded as the Order's #2 swordsman on average(with only Yoda himself being definitively superior.)

Qui-Gon... Wasn't.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 1st, 2018 at 03:13 PM

Old Post Apr 1st, 2018 03:05 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CuckedCurry

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kurk
"Dooku had fenced Qui-Gon thousands of times, and he
knew every weakness of the Ataro form, with its ridiculous acrobatics."

Old Post Apr 1st, 2018 04:17 PM
Click here to Send CuckedCurry a Private Message Find more posts by CuckedCurry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

What provoked this thread tbh

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2018 06:22 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

I wanted a glimpse as to where do people place TPM Dooku. The only thing we do know about him by the way of a direct comparison is that he is much inferior to AoTC Dooku. As is Qui Gon.

On the other hand, if we consider TPM Dooku to be below TPM Maul as you seem to do, there isn't any reason this isn't a solid fight.

According to Yoda, Qui Gon was the best initiate or apprentice he had trained in 400 years, putting him above Dooku at that stage. While this obviously does not necessarily translate to them as adults, it does indicate that they have loosely comparable potential. They also share similar hype as some of the order's most formidable masters as of TPM, as well as one of the best combatants in the order's history.

As it is, it doesn't seem like a mismatch.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2018 07:51 PM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm sure Jinn would hold his own and all, but I don't see a possible scenario where he wins.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2018 07:53 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The.D0minator
Restricted

Account Restricted

Qui-Gon gets stomped lmao.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2018 08:05 PM
Click here to Send The.D0minator a Private Message Find more posts by The.D0minator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
McP

Originally posted by LordOfTheLight
I wanted a glimpse as to where do people place TPM Dooku. The only thing we do know about him by the way of a direct comparison is that he is much inferior to AoTC Dooku. As is Qui Gon.

Much inferior to AotC? No way, during TPM he's consider as Mace's equal and can compete with Yoda. No way, he's much inferior.

On the other hand, if we consider TPM Dooku to be below TPM Maul as you seem to do, there isn't any reason this isn't a solid fight.

Why should we?

According to Yoda, Qui Gon was the best initiate or apprentice he had trained in 400 years, putting him above Dooku at that stage.

Prove That is was Yoda who said that.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2018 10:04 PM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

(Yoda didn't say that.)

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 03:37 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

quote:

Still, Qui Gon was a a formidable lightsaber duelist-the best his master has seen in 400 years of teaching-and has since fought in a variety of conflicts all over the galaxy, sometimes against odds that would have overwhelmed a lesser swordsman.

Credit: Core Rulebook

The master in question obviously being Yoda.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 06:51 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Reason 1514185 why a quote before a character is made shouldn't apply to said character. ^

Retconned though, fortunately.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Apr 2nd, 2018 at 07:06 AM

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 06:58 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

Not really. The essential readers companion does say that it could be a reference to Yoda.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 07:09 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

What's the source of the quote though? There's 15 core rulebooks.

Not sure how the "Essential Reader's Companion," which almost certainly does not mention an RPG book whatsoever, saying "that it could be a reference to Yoda." has anything to do with the quote though. Honestly, I don't even know what that means.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 07:11 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

It is the one for the Star Wars roleplaying game, released in 2000.

The Essential Readers companion addresses the quote in the TPM novel by saying that it could be a reference to Yoda. Obviously, that extends here as well given the similar nature of the quotes, as it is just Qui Gon's master that is the source of this ambiguity.

If it refers to Yoda, it isn't retconned. As it would refer to them as Initiates.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 07:15 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

What page?

I genuinely have no clue what you are talking about with this TPM novel quote and the Essential's Reader Companion.

I think we have the liberty to dismiss the quote as being outdated, unless you want to toss aside Dooku's hype in DR. Don't get too bogged down in the technicalities.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 07:18 AM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Obi-Wan in The Empire Strikes Back refers to Yoda as "the Jedi Master who taught me" and in a post-TPM source, The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi, which is a biography of Obi-Wan's entire life, he says the same thing to Luke IIRC.

Yoda refers to Dooku as his "Padawan" in Attack of the Clones and Dooku refers to Yoda as his former Master many times. Yet we know that Dooku was actually the Padawan of Thame Cerulian; he simply had private classes with Yoda.

Qui-Gon's quote obviously references Yoda, and there's no reason to assume a retcon given how historically characters have referred to Yoda as their Master even though a formal Master-Padawan relationship didn't exist. Yoda has taught every PT Jedi alive at some point in their lives, so I don't see any issue here.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 07:24 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

who tf disputing the quote refers to yoda

Sas (clearly) disputed the quote's general existence, not specifically the Yoda part.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 07:24 AM
LordOfTheLight

I am saying, the companion suggests that it is a possibility that the master in question referred to Yoda, with the quote itself making it obvious that it was Yoda. Which is what I was being questioned on.

Last edited by LordOfTheLight on Apr 2nd, 2018 at 07:35 AM

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 07:31 AM
LordOfTheLight

Plus the DR quote from Yoda's perspective, does not refer to prowess as an overall lightsaber combatant.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2018 07:33 AM