KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Palpatine's Force Storm and Darth Nihilus' Power

Palpatine's Force Storm and Darth Nihilus' Power
Started by: snoke123

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
snoke123

Palpatine's Force Storm and Darth Nihilus' Power

In my mind, the two most devastating abilities Dark Side users have ever produced.

But, which overall, do you think is preferable?

Palpatine’s Force Storm

"Using this knowledge, I can unleash the dark side energies that are all around us, even to shatter the fabric of space itself. In this way, I have created storms."
Sidious

Here, Palpatine employs the Storm to create a hyperspace wormhole from Byss that travels to Luke on Coruscant. Using this, Palpatine transports Luke to one of his ships.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...mpXor/Storm.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...Xor/Storm2.jpg

He would later use the technique to destroy starships and was finally killed by losing control of it due to Luke and Leia covering him in the light side of the Force and preventing him from accessing the rage necessary to control the Storm.

Palpatine himself admits he can not completely control these awesome powers but canonically, he never lost control except from the direct intervention of Luke Skywalker himself somehow shielding him from the Dark Side.

Advantages of this technique are obviously distance. Lightyears can separate you and your foe and you can still destroy them. Also it comes with versatility as you can either move a target or annihilate it.

Nihilus’ Technique

“It is a technique that is almost as old as the Sith themselves... it is a means of severing connections between life, the Force, and feeding upon the death it causes.It cannot be taught... it can only be gained through instinct, through experiencing its effects, first-hand.{Quietly}Yes. And he fed upon its destruction - it will sustain him, for a time.Because it is not something that can ever truly be controlled... and it leaves nothing to conquer in its wake.And it rules him, not the other way around. It has its own will, its own instincts.”

This is the only canon world Nihilus destroyed; the planet of Katarr.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...r/Nihilus-1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...or/Nihilus2.jpg

We are told there were at elast two Jedi Masters upon the planet by I believe Kavar. We know at the time of KOTOR II, there was less than 100 Jedi still alive. And Nihilus did not kill all of them on Katarr, I don’t think. So, we don’t have a real figure on how many Nihilus killed. Just the Jedi and Miraluka colony.

Like the Force Storm, this power can not be controlled. Nihilus is little more than a cancer in the Force because of it. But this techniqu eis obviously quick-acting with mass devastation. “When my lord spoke, all life on Katarr died.”

But in the end, it comes down tot his I feel:

Nihilus’ awesome power requires one thing to work: life/The Force. This power is worthless against anything non-living.

Palpatine’s Force Storm is indiscriminate and will wipe out anything. It has no special requirements about the target.

Thus, if Palpatine and Nihilus were left alone and cornered by a fleet of starships controlled by AI and they only had their most powerful move, then Nihilus is SOL. He can’t drain which doesn’t exist. Palpatine’s Force Storm, however, will wipe out those ships no sweat.

That’s my thoughts and I want to see what everyone else thinks.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2018 01:08 PM
Click here to Send snoke123 a Private Message Find more posts by snoke123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Naga Sadow star busting>>>

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Aug 5th, 2018 06:04 PM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Merchant
Naga Sadow star busting>>>

Can't do that without his ship

Old Post Aug 5th, 2018 07:13 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Nihilus abilities aren't even remotely as impressive as people make them out to be. It's a result of his condition and has very little to do with his personal power.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2018 07:46 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

yes nihilus's ability to drain entire planets are impressive, plaptine's can destroy multiple planets. nihilus can only destroy one at a time.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2018 04:59 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

he also drains the planet, not destroys it.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2018 05:00 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote