KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Mace Windu vs Obi - Wan Kenobi

Mace Windu vs Obi - Wan Kenobi
Started by: ozz81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ozz81

Mace Windu vs Obi - Wan Kenobi

Both at their peak who wins how and why ?

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 06:43 AM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Obi Wan via war of attrition; he'd outlast Mace for sure, also if there's anybody that Mace would have absolutely nothing for Vapaad to draw from its Obi Wan lol

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 08:56 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

If its Rebels Kenobi, this could very well be a fight between peers.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 09:16 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Forschbewithu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
If its Rebels Kenobi, this could very well be a fight between peers.

I like this version better. I would also like to see rebels Kenobi vs dooku

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 04:57 AM
Click here to Send Forschbewithu a Private Message Find more posts by Forschbewithu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

I don't think Rebels Kenobi is stronger than ROTS Kenobi.

The North Remembers

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 05:20 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

Couldn’t mace just use shatter point to get the win anytime ?

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 08:10 AM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Lord Stark
I don't think Rebels Kenobi is stronger than ROTS Kenobi.

You think ROTS Kenobi could 3 shot Maul, or stand as an equal to Vader?

I highly doubt it. Not in canon at least.

Originally posted by ozz81

I dont think shatter point is quite that simple or convenient.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 09:23 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by ozz81

I dont think shatter point is quite that simple or convenient.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 09:25 AM
Psychotron

Do you really think ANH Vader is a better lightsaber duelist than ROTS Vader?

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 01:54 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Originally posted by Psychotron
There is no reason to believe that he wasn't (in canon at least).

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 02:41 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

No, but ROTS Anakin was already considerably > Dooku. So not sure that line of logic will go anywhere.

Vader was probably Clone Wars Anakin level in Sabers, but massively more impressive TK. At least in a controlled version.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 03:10 PM
Psychotron

No, but ROTS Anakin was already considerably > Dooku. So not sure that line of logic will go anywhere.

Vader was probably Clone Wars Anakin level in Sabers, but massively more impressive TK. At least in a controlled version.

ROTS Anakin being > Dooku doesn't mean Obi-Wan = Mace.

I don't argue that his Force powers didn't increase. I'm talking only about his lightsaber skills.

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
There is no reason to believe that he wasn't (in canon at least).

Aside from lack of feats to support this? Suited Vader hasn't killed anyone on Dooku's level.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 04:20 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

ROTS Anakin being > Dooku doesn't mean Obi-Wan = Mace.

I don't argue that his Force powers didn't increase. I'm talking only about his lightsaber skills.

Obi-Wan always had the skill set to rival Mace as a swordsman, he just didnt have the power in the Force.

By Rebels/ANH he apparently does, given 1) how fast he cut Maul down (Maul has briefly faced Mace in SOD and wasnt blitz or anything) and 2) The fact that he held off against Vader without being ragdolled or anything. Even in Sabers he wasnt being forced backwards the way he was against Anakin in ROTS.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 04:57 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

There is literally NO reason to suspect that Vader's lightsaber skills diminished after the Mustafar incident. Nothing in canon supports that, and IIRC Vader was listed as the #1 red lightsaber duelist in one of the guidebooks (above even Sidious lol).

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 06:21 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Obi-Wan always had the skill set to rival Mace as a swordsman, he just didnt have the power in the Force.

By Rebels/ANH he apparently does, given 1) how fast he cut Maul down (Maul has briefly faced Mace in SOD and wasnt blitz or anything) and 2) The fact that he held off against Vader without being ragdolled or anything. Even in Sabers he wasnt being forced backwards the way he was against Anakin in ROTS.

I agree 100% that Obi-Wan has the skill to beat Mace. However, I don't think he has the raw Force power. Neither Maul nor Vader tried to use the Force against him in their fights.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 06:30 PM
Darth Thor

I agree 100% that Obi-Wan has the skill to beat Mace. However, I don't think he has the raw Force power. Neither Maul nor Vader tried to use the Force against him in their fights.

I mean sure Maul never got a chance to try TK or other such attacks given how short his duel with Old Ben was, but Surely Vader would have force owned Ben if he could in such an extended fight. Vader would have loved to humiliate his former Master like that. And we saw Vader strike him down the moment Ben put his defences down, so he wasnt trying to prove hes the superior duelist or anything. He was simply going straight for the kill.

The Force isnt just TK and FL. It also enhances your speed and power in lightsaber fight.

So the speed at which Old Ben took Maul out was very telling about his level of power at this point. And again he was only being forced backwards to a small extent by Vader, which means he had the strength and power to rival him in a duel.

There is literally NO reason to suspect that Vader's lightsaber skills diminished after the Mustafar incident. Nothing in canon supports that, and IIRC Vader was listed as the #1 red lightsaber duelist in one of the guidebooks (above even Sidious lol).

His potential must have been capped. But otherwise yeah, given TCW and Rebels Maul wasnt massively diminished from his TPM self, no reason to think Vader was either.

Especially when Maul was stranded and out of practice for years prior to both his Clone Wars and Rebels comebacks. Vader on the other hand was always keeping in form.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jan 25th, 2020 at 06:46 PM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 06:42 PM
Psychotron

I mean sure Maul never got a chance to try TK or other such attacks given how short his duel with Old Ben was, but Surely Vader would have force owned Ben if he could in such an extended fight. Vader would have loved to humiliate his former Master like that. And we saw Vader strike him down the moment Ben put his defences down, so he wasnt trying to prove hes the superior duelist or anything. He was simply going straight for the kill.

The Force isnt just TK and FL. It also enhances your speed and power in lightsaber fight.

So the speed at which Old Ben took Maul out was very telling about his level of power at this point. And again he was only being forced backwards to a small extent by Vader, which means he had the strength and power to rival him in a duel.

We saw the duel between Vader and Obi-Wan and Vader never tried any Force attacks. Maybe he just wanted to out-duel him to avenge his previous loss. If we're going by your reasoning then ROTJ Luke is a peer to Vader in Force abilities because Vader didn't own him with the Force.

I'm aware.

Old Ben took out Maul quickly because he knew what Maul was going to do and how to counter it. It was pure skill. I don't disagree that ANH Ben was close to Vader as a duelist, but that doesn't mean he'd beat Mace Windu.

He's definitely not above Sidious so that's how good that source is.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 06:50 PM
Darth Thor

1)We saw the duel between Vader and Obi-Wan and Vader never tried any Force attacks. Maybe he just wanted to out-duel him to avenge his previous loss. If we're going by your reasoning then ROTJ Luke is a peer to Vader in Force abilities because Vader didn't own him with the Force.

2)Old Ben took out Maul quickly because he knew what Maul was going to do and how to counter it. It was pure skill. I don't disagree that ANH Ben was close to Vader as a duelist, but that doesn't mean he'd beat Mace Windu.

1) I already addressed this. If that was the case Vader wouldnt have struck him the second Ben lowered his defences. He was simply going for the kill.

Its like Mace Windu fighting Palpatine. Technically Sidious never used the force on him during the Saber battle. But the presumption is because he knew (or sensed) that he couldnt simply ragdoll him, and would have to await an opening.

It wasnt Vaders goal to murder Luke though. He may have been willing to, but his goal was to turn him to the dark side, by forcing him to fight. So I doubt Force choking him would help achieve that goal.

2) It was a combination of that and superior speed, speed that was beyond what Maul had come to expect from Obi-Wan:

https://youtu.be/HrkFj6iepMs

At 1:55-
and at the moment that he hits Maul so quickly, Maul realises - Oh My Goodness ive misread this.... and if he is This Good, this must be the most important guard post in the Entire Galaxy.

As for Mace Windu, we can only speculate, but if you take ROTS Obi-Wans skill, then give him a power boost in the Force, then being a peer to Windu is in the conversation. We at least know he was a peer to Vader, and Vader has ridiculous feats, and in canon seems to be considered to be close to Palpatine in power. And we also know the gap between him and Maul was greater than ever.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jan 25th, 2020 at 07:25 PM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 07:18 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

There is literally NO reason to suspect that Vader's lightsaber skills diminished after the Mustafar incident. Nothing in canon supports that
thumb up

I have yet to come across a canon source stating that Vader's skills diminished.

Most I've seen are statements that he had to develop a new lightsaber style in order to overcome the restrictions of his bulky armor -- but that just means he had to fight differently with the suit than he did without it... Certainly doesn't imply that he was a lesser swordsman or w/e.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 07:45 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

thumb upthumb up

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 07:52 PM