KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Maul and Savage vs. ROTJ Luke

Maul and Savage vs. ROTJ Luke
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Maul and Savage vs. ROTJ Luke

Maul and Savage as they were against Sidious.

ROTJ Luke

Canon versions plz.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 07:53 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Luke > Vader > Maul&Savage

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 08:20 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Considering Vader was obviously pretty old by the time of ROTJ, do you think he'd slowed down at all where lightsaber combat is concerned?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 01:12 AM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

Vader>Luke>Maul&Savage

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 10:23 AM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

So are you guys of the opinion that Luke is ~ = Vader in an all out and not just in Sabers?

Because it seemed in front of Palpatine, Luke was as useless as Maul and Savage were. I personally Think Vader should be closer to Palpatine level than that.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 02:18 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

juggernaut74 is online now!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Considering Vader was obviously pretty old by the time of ROTJ, do you think he'd slowed down at all where lightsaber combat is concerned?
Vader wasn't that old he was 45 or so around that time. Windu was over 50 when he beat Sidious and Dooku was like 83 when he beat Kenobi.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 02:34 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

Amped Luke > Maul & Savage*

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 02:59 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

No. Like juggernaut said: Vader was only like 45 at the time of his death.

Younger than Kenobi when he 3-pieced Maul.
Younger than Mace when he fought(and arguably bested) Palpatine.
Younger than Palpatine when he fought Yoda.
Younger than Dooku when he was making sport of Jedi during TCW.
etc.

Originally posted by Darth Thor
So are you guys of the opinion that Luke is ~ = Vader in an all out and not just in Sabers?

Because it seemed in front of Palpatine, Luke was as useless as Maul and Savage were. I personally Think Vader should be closer to Palpatine level than that.
Hard to say, as we know next to nothing about RotJ-era Luke in canon.

That said, when Luke 'confronted' Palpatine he was saberless and may not have even known that Palpatine could use FL(otherwise he probably wouldn't have recklessly discarded his saber like that.) However, in the RotJ novelization, Luke used tutaminis to briefly block Palpatine's lightning... So there's that I guess. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 26th, 2020 at 03:50 PM

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 03:28 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Galan007

Hard to say, as we know next to nothing about RotJ-era Luke in canon.

That said, when Luke 'confronted' Palpatine he was saberless and may not have even known that Palpatine could use FL(otherwise he probably wouldn't have recklessly discarded his saber like that.) However, in the RotJ novelization, Luke used tutaminis to briefly block Palpatine's lightning... So there's that I guess. /shrug

Yeah point being, aside from his Saber fight against Vader, we dont really have much reason to believe that his force powers like TK rivalled Vaders at this point in time.

I know he didnt have his Saber against Palpatine. Im just comparing how he handled it to how Maul handled it, and dont see much difference, in that both were utterly useless against Palpatine without their Sabers.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 04:16 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ I mean, prior to ESB(and with no formal Jedi training), Luke shook a Star Destroyer with a single TK attack. So by the time of RotJ, it's conceivable that he could have been around Vader's level in the TK department, imo(especially if you take the recollections of him ripping Star Destroyers out of the sky during the battle of Jakku at face value.) /shrug

Tbf we don't know how a saberless Vader would have compared either, as he never openly defied Palpatine until the end.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 26th, 2020 at 04:54 PM

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 04:50 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah its conceivable. He has the raw power/potential, no denying that. Really depends on his mastery level though. Like with that level of TK the rancor really shouldnt have been an issue to him (wasnt to Vader when he faced one in the early Canon Vader comics).

It is hard pegging Vader next to Palps. I mean going by feats, his TK is so monstrous, I see no reason why he wouldnt be a near equal to Palpatine in the Force. But on the other hand its not like he was ragdolling Ahsoka in their fight.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 05:10 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

^ I mean, prior to ESB(and with no formal Jedi training), Luke shook a Star Destroyer with a single TK attack. So by the time of RotJ, it's conceivable that he could have been around Vader's level in the TK department, imo(especially if you take the recollections of him ripping Star Destroyers out of the sky during the battle of Jakku at face value.) /shrug

Tbf we don't know how a saberless Vader would have compared either, as he never openly defied Palpatine until the end.
Battle of Jakku was after ROTJ though. confused

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 05:11 PM
Darth Thor

Luke shook an STD by accident pre-ESB.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 05:12 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Yeah its conceivable. He has the raw power/potential, no denying that. Really depends on his mastery level though. Like with that level of TK the rancor really shouldnt have been an issue to him (wasnt to Vader when he faced one in the early Canon Vader comics).

It is hard pegging Vader next to Palps. I mean going by feats, his TK is so monstrous, I see no reason why he wouldnt be a near equal to Palpatine in the Force. But on the other hand its not like he was ragdolling Ahsoka in their fight.
Yeah, I think the intent was that Luke was still immensely powerful by the time of RotJ, even though his training still wasn't really complete... Hopefully the current comic series(by Soule) will flesh out his abilities during that period a bit more, as it is bridging the gap between ESB and RotJ.

The rancor scene never made sense to me, as Luke didn't even try to use the Force at all there... Maybe he was feigning weakness in front of Jabba for some reason? Don't know.

I think if they went TK to TK, Vader would make Palpatine struggle for sure. Thing is, Palpatine isn't limited solely to TK, like Vader is.

Well obviously, lol. stick out tongue

But RotJ and the battle of Jakku only took place about 1 year apart(a little less, actually.) While Luke may have been a bit more powerful during the latter, the difference was likely marginal, as that was before he started obsessing over bolstering his knowledge/power and scouring the galaxy for all the Force-related artifacts, relics, texts, etc. that he could find.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 26th, 2020 at 05:54 PM

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 05:31 PM
Darth Thor

But RotJ and the battle of Jakku only took place about 1 year apart(a little less, actually.)

Oh damn!

But given thats still only 5 years after he began training, I would think it would qualify as his early years, where his powers were still rapidly growing.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 05:54 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Oh I'm sure battle of Jakku Luke > RotJ Luke to some extent, but I personally don't think his power would have increased much at all during those months.

As mentioned, Luke's focus during this period was ending the Imperial establishment that remained after Endor(culminating with the battle of Jakku.) He didn't begin hardcore training/knowledge-seeking until after the battle of Jakku -- and that's when his power would have undoubtedly skyrocketed.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 26th, 2020 at 06:31 PM

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 06:12 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Didn't realize the Battle of Jaku took place so close to ROTJ. embarrasment

That was confirmed in the Aftermath novels I'm guessing (haven't read them)??

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 12:17 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Confirmed in Aftermath, along with multiple guidebooks.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 01:22 AM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Thanks galanthumb up

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 02:32 PM
Rebel95

Nah. Vader's power was greatest at the time of RotJ. He only lost to Luke because he was conflicted and Luke was amped by his rage. That being said, Luke was still able to fight equally with him even before his rage amp.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 10:41 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote