KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Yoda vs. Mace Canon

Yoda vs. Mace Canon
Started by: Forschbewithu

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Forschbewithu

Yoda vs. Mace Canon

What does canon say about these two? As of rots, who takes it?

Mace is considered the champion of the order, who "seemingly" beat Sidious according to SW data bank.

The grand master of the order for likely centuries. Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures clearly states Yoda being unable to defeat Sidious in a lightsaber duel.

I'm not saying it's end all be all, but what does the new canon say about these two specifically?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 03:02 AM
Click here to Send Forschbewithu a Private Message Find more posts by Forschbewithu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darthadi

Yoda is more powerful, he wins.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 08:34 AM
Click here to Send Darthadi a Private Message Find more posts by Darthadi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

Well Mace is the superior swordsmen so.. Mace.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 09:01 AM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darthadi

Mace being better in technical skill means little when Yoda is just more powerful.

"There were many famous Jedi throughout the years. The wisest and most powerful Jedi of all was Grand Master Yoda."

Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi - The Power of the Force

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 09:56 AM
Click here to Send Darthadi a Private Message Find more posts by Darthadi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Yoda of course lol

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 10:42 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darthadi
Mace being better in technical skill means little when Yoda is just more powerful.

"There were many famous Jedi throughout the years. The wisest and most powerful Jedi of all was Grand Master Yoda."

Same basic concept with Vader/Palpatine. Vader is ranked as a better swordsman, but he'd still lose to Palpatine in an all-out battle.

That said, I would probably give Mace the nod against Yoda in sabers. Yoda takes Force and all-out, though.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 11:57 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

I'd still give Yoda the nod against Mace in sabers. Vaapad is probably not going to give him an advantage against the champion of the light like it would against Sidious.

The North Remembers

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 12:45 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

There is canon material putting Yoda and Dooku above Windu in sabers but apparently there is more recent canon material putting Windu above even Yoda..which I don't accept at all.

So I say Yoda is still the top dog.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 12:58 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by Lord Stark
I'd still give Yoda the nod against Mace in sabers. Vaapad is probably not going to give him an advantage against the champion of the light like it would against Sidious.
Vaapad doesn't seem to work that way in canon. It's basically just Juyo with no underlying "meta" ability.

But I agree that Mace > Yoda in sabers. Yoda > Mace in the others.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 01:04 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by Sheev
Vaapad doesn't seem to work that way in canon. It's basically just Juyo with no underlying "meta" ability.

But I agree that Mace > Yoda in sabers. Yoda > Mace in the others.

Mmm toss-up then. Both of them disarmed Palpatine, but Sidious also wasn't using his preferred form. I'd also argue Yoda faced a more powerful Sidious.

The North Remembers

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 01:27 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

I seriously don't think it's implying purely technical skill. Yoda > Mace just seems like ignoring the new facts. I would prefer Yoda > Mace too but just seems like bias to me.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 01:48 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darthadi

Yoda is stated to be more powerful and the new quote doeasn't contradict this. That guidebook is about lightsabers so it's very likely the quote is only about technical skill.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 02:11 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Mace was stated to be the "greatest swordsman" of the Order. Yoda was stated to be the "most powerful" of the Order. So in a saber duel, Mace should win. In an all-out setting, Yoda should win.

As mentioned above, this is really no different than Vader being placed above Palpatine in sabers.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 03:30 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

I suppose augmentation could give Yoda an edge but it seems extremely pointless to give Mace the accolade of being the finest swordsmen if he wouldn't be the best in a duel. How would you even figure that out, it's not like Jedi just casually stop using the force to augment their abilities and I don't see why you would even word it like that anyway. Do you think the author actually thought about technical skill verses all out?

There's also a quote that states Yoda's saber skills are unequaled but clearly that's outdated so I can easily see the 'most powerful' sources also being outdated. Although the Vader point is pretty good. It's pretty clear that Palpatine > Vader all out.

I can agree with your points but it would be nice if someone of the story group could clear it up. I feel like the average reader would intepret that as "Yoda is the most powerful in the force" and "Mace is the best duelist" erm

Old Post Aug 8th, 2020 07:28 PM
Sheev
The All-Sith

I think the all out would be in Yoda's favor because he could spam TK and such at Mace.

In new canon Mace has almost no noteworthy TK feats.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2020 12:50 AM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mace wrecks.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2020 12:48 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Forschbewithu

Originally posted by juggernaut74
There is canon material putting Yoda and Dooku above Windu in sabers but apparently there is more recent canon material putting Windu above even Yoda..which I don't accept at all.

So I say Yoda is still the top dog.

Interesting. Do you have quotes/sources? This is pretty much the reason why I made this thread 🙂.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2020 01:55 PM
Click here to Send Forschbewithu a Private Message Find more posts by Forschbewithu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

It was stated in the Official Star Wars Fact File #60 that Yoda was #1 and Dooku was #2.

It's hard to find scans though I know people have them they're just sitting on them.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2020 10:37 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Forschbewithu

Originally posted by juggernaut74
It was stated in the Official Star Wars Fact File #60 that Yoda was #1 and Dooku was #2.

It's hard to find scans though I know people have them they're just sitting on them.

Is that still considered canon? When I Google it the date is from 2003. Am I looking at something else?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2020 11:13 PM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

There is two volumes the one I mentioned was from the 2nd volume published in 2015.

So I think those are canon.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2020 11:25 PM