KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Review: The Day After Tomorrow

Review: The Day After Tomorrow
Started by: sith_darth_jay

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
S_D_J
Bane

The day after tomorrow

i just saw the movie half an hour ago, so here's my sypnosis:

the movie starts in alaska( or somewhere in the north pole) where a big casket of ice breaks, this events marks the begining of a new ace age.

the worlds weather changes drastically through out the world, espeacially in the northen hemisphere. europe, asia, canada and the united states are the ones that suffer the most.
in the middle of these natural desasters, is Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid) a Washington-based climatologist. he is the one that finds that global warming could trigger a catastrophic shift in the world's climate.

He's got a family. Sela Ward has his wife, Dr. Lucy Hall. Jake Gyllenhaal as their 17-year-old son, Sam, who is trapped in New York when a huge super storm sweeps across the globe, and all hell breaks loose. His son has to survive in the new york and he will try to save him.

ok, here's my review:

at the begginig of the movie, i felt as though i was watching ID4 (independence day) the structure (at least the beggining) is almost identical to ID4, the way the scenarios are presented, the plot, even the camera movements (shots) are almost identical, there's some godzila in it too(even there's a titanic moment in it :P), but then the effects kick in (which are the real star of the movie) and the movie gets kinda enjoyable. it's not like you care about the characters, you know what's gonna happen to them, but it tries o have a plot envolving them.

the FXs are just amazing, the aereal new york shots are just great, the tornados in LA are great aswell (they look a lot like X-2). you can tell when they used a blue screen or CGs, but they are done in good way, not crappy.

like i said, you don't really care about the actors, i don't believe jake gyllenhaal as 17 years old kid, i just don't buy it, he should have been a college boy instead, but you forget about that when good stuff begins, same goes for quaid or ward.

the plot it's pretty much like ID, there's even a dog that saves himself from dying.

overall: good movie, mostly a pop corn flick, great FXs and i you want to discuss the apocalictical part of it (or ven POLITICAL, cause the actual goverment can take a message from this movie, as crazy as it sounds) go ahead, i don't much about global warming or ice age but it tries to be close to reality as possible, it's a paranoia about weather changes, luckly no more aliens

i'll give a 7/10.........................or maybe an 8
no, perhaps not

one more thing: [SPOILER - highlight to read]: i love when the americans run to mexican border and try to get in ilegally, i just couldn't stop laughing my ass off when that happen, it's hilarious!

and DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT THE WHOLE MOVIE SPOILED [SPOILER - highlight to read]: nah, maybe is shouldn't tell you.........................................................

or maybe i should, jakes die stick out tongue

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post May 27th, 2004 11:54 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moonwalker741
1039-Smoothed

the movie is out....i thought it comes out on friday....??

lol its funny yesterday (wedsday)...i sed to my friend "hey! the day after tommorow comes out the day after tommorow....lol...im so lame....

Old Post May 28th, 2004 12:07 AM
moonwalker741 is currently offline Click here to Send moonwalker741 a Private Message Find more posts by moonwalker741 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beyond Image
RE SOCK the UNITY

i think you used the spoiler a tad bit too late.

Old Post May 28th, 2004 03:43 AM
Beyond Image is currently offline Click here to Send Beyond Image a Private Message Find more posts by Beyond Image Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

moonwalker> i don't live in the states, it came out yesterday here in my country

clark kent> what do you mean confused

Old Post May 28th, 2004 03:28 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

oh..i'll see this one next week or something.

Old Post May 28th, 2004 07:29 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moonwalker741
1039-Smoothed

i c...kewl.....im gonna see it on manday cuz im off from skool cuz of memorial day...i hope its good...trailers make it look intense

Old Post May 28th, 2004 07:53 PM
moonwalker741 is currently offline Click here to Send moonwalker741 a Private Message Find more posts by moonwalker741 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by Clark_Kent
i think you used the spoiler a tad bit too late.

..it's not even true, so don't worry. Loved the movie, just figured I'd add that.

Old Post May 28th, 2004 09:31 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nach

i just saw it... yea it was kindof intense, i liked it
i'd give it a 7/10

Old Post May 28th, 2004 09:53 PM
nach is currently offline Click here to Send nach a Private Message Find more posts by nach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
..it's not even true, so don't worry. Loved the movie, just figured I'd add that.

big grin yeah, it's just a joke (i you haven't seen the movie don't read my spoiler)

i think i made a mistake in my synopsis: is it in the north pole or in Antarctica where the ice breaks?

Old Post May 29th, 2004 12:31 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I liked it, it was never boring and visually stunning.

Old Post May 29th, 2004 07:34 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DenKi

Very very good film, Very shame about the ending, it was too quick and missed loads of bits out, It just Cut to when they picked them up..... dont wanna give 2 much away....

Old Post May 30th, 2004 12:52 AM
DenKi is currently offline Click here to Send DenKi a Private Message Find more posts by DenKi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LarryTheArch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: The day after tomorrow

quote:
Originally posted by sith_darth_jay
i just saw the movie half an hour ago, so here's my sypnosis:

the movie starts in alaska( or somewhere in the north pole) where a big casket of ice breaks, this events marks the begining of a new ace age.

the worlds weather changes drastically through out the world, espeacially in the northen hemisphere. europe, asia, canada and the united states are the ones that suffer the most.
in the middle of these natural desasters, is Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid) a Washington-based climatologist. he is the one that finds that global warming could trigger a catastrophic shift in the world's climate.

He's got a family. Sela Ward has his wife, Dr. Lucy Hall. Jake Gyllenhaal as their 17-year-old son, Sam, who is trapped in New York when a huge super storm sweeps across the globe, and all hell breaks loose. His son has to survive in the new york and he will try to save him.

ok, here's my review:

at the begginig of the movie, i felt as though i was watching ID4 (independence day) the structure (at least the beggining) is almost identical to ID4, the way the scenarios are presented, the plot, even the camera movements (shots) are almost identical, there's some godzila in it too(even there's a titanic moment in it :P), but then the effects kick in (which are the real star of the movie) and the movie gets kinda enjoyable. it's not like you care about the characters, you know what's gonna happen to them, but it tries o have a plot envolving them.

the FXs are just amazing, the aereal new york shots are just great, the tornados in LA are great aswell (they look a lot like X-2). you can tell when they used a blue screen or CGs, but they are done in good way, not crappy.

like i said, you don't really care about the actors, i don't believe jake gyllenhaal as 17 years old kid, i just don't buy it, he should have been a college boy instead, but you forget about that when good stuff begins, same goes for quaid or ward.

the plot it's pretty much like ID, there's even a dog that saves himself from dying.

overall: good movie, mostly a pop corn flick, great FXs and i you want to discuss the apocalictical part of it (or ven POLITICAL, cause the actual goverment can take a message from this movie, as crazy as it sounds) go ahead, i don't much about global warming or ice age but it tries to be close to reality as possible, it's a paranoia about weather changes, luckly no more aliens

i'll give a 7/10.........................or maybe an 8
no, perhaps not

one more thing: [SPOILER - highlight to read]: i love when the americans run to mexican border and try to get in ilegally, i just couldn't stop laughing my ass off when that happen, it's hilarious!

and DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT THE WHOLE MOVIE SPOILED [SPOILER - highlight to read]: nah, maybe is shouldn't tell you.........................................................

or maybe i should, jakes die stick out tongue

9/10

Old Post May 30th, 2004 01:14 AM
LarryTheArch is currently offline Click here to Send LarryTheArch a Private Message Find more posts by LarryTheArch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Cinema Addiction I know im being anoying but cool sig!

I saw it 7/10

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post May 30th, 2004 06:56 AM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

I saw this movie on friday and i tought it was really good, the mexican border thing was hillarious, the effects were incredible and i enjoyed the plot of the father trying to rescue his son, im a sucker for father/son movies since im a sinle father but the movie it made me wonder if something like that can really happen, if it does happen in our lifetime we are screwd big time! 9/10 for me!

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post May 30th, 2004 01:09 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by Stormy Day
Cinema Addiction I know im being anoying but cool sig!

Annoying? Not at all, and thank you.
big grin

Old Post May 30th, 2004 04:46 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zilverz

Just took my girlfriend to see this last night. We both enjoyed it. I think she had a thing for jake. Anyway, I think there were a few unneccisary scenes, but I did enjoy the movie

8/10

Old Post May 30th, 2004 05:08 PM
Zilverz is currently offline Click here to Send Zilverz a Private Message Find more posts by Zilverz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LarryTheArch
Restricted

Account Restricted

I saw on the news that It would take a meteor impact (A meteor the size of greenland) to disrupt our clmiate enough to do that.

Old Post May 30th, 2004 08:22 PM
LarryTheArch is currently offline Click here to Send LarryTheArch a Private Message Find more posts by LarryTheArch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Krabs55

WOW thats a big freaking metor

Old Post May 31st, 2004 12:42 AM
Krabs55 is currently offline Click here to Send Krabs55 a Private Message Find more posts by Krabs55 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Destructo
Restricted

Account Restricted

I liked the day after tomorrow. It had good special effects and intensity,
a good plot and good performances. Some parts were slow and boring though and It seemed a little bit long, but apart from that it was great. The tidal wave, twisters, hail storm and wolves scenes were the best.
7 out of 10 stars from me.

Old Post May 31st, 2004 02:00 AM
Destructo is currently offline Click here to Send Destructo a Private Message Find more posts by Destructo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Annoying? Not at all, and thank you.
big grin

big grin

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post May 31st, 2004 07:33 AM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote