KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Review: The Princess Bride

Review: The Princess Bride
Started by: Mr Zero

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

The Princess Bride

"Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

"It doesn't sound too bad. I'll try and stay awake."

Adapted from his book of the same name Bill Goldman gives us all of the above and more. For such a promising list of delights to come the film opens on a mundane setting. A young boy is sick in bed and his visiting grandfather brings him a gift. The kid can barely hide his disappointment on discovering that it's a book - the old man manages to display no disappointment at his grandsons ingratitude and resolves to read to him.

"When I was your age, television was called books"

That’s the opening scene, and although nowhere near "the action" already the bones of TPB are visible: For all it's swash and buckle - this is a film about relationships and it's themes of family, friendship, honour and love stitch the piece together under everything that follows. And Oh what follows… The book the grandfather reads is "The Princess bride" (S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale ™ of True Love and High Adventure) which is where the movie now fades into.

The Princess Bride - Buttercup (Robin Wright) is a pleasant friendly girl - but haughty and aloof to Westley (Cary Elwes) the stable boy she has known all her life who indulges her every whim. Naturally they work out that they are madly in love with each other and after pledging everlasting faithfulness Westley rides off to seek his fortune so they can be wed. Aw.

Remember the ""not the run-of-the-mill fairy tale warning"? 10 Minutes later Westley is dead, Buttercup is not only engaged to the local evil prince but has also been kidnapped by a Giant & a master swordsman at the behest of a criminal mastermind. To make matters worse they are being tracked by the most ruthless pirate that ever sailed a sea. To lay out any more of the absurd plot here would be a great disservice to the majesty that is S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale ™ - however it needs to be said that the story is the greatest adventure ever told, it's funnier than any other film ever made, the action (especially the swordfights) is breathtaking and the revenge the most satisfying you will ever see. As to the romance I should warn you, this film does contain kissing.

Princess Bride is justifiably on many peoples top 5 movies list. If you have not seen it you have a rare enchanting tread ahead & If you have seen it you could always read the book it's faithfully based on, the "good bits version" translation - by William Goldman.

Attachment: together.jpg
This has been downloaded 146 time(s).

Old Post Sep 19th, 2004 09:24 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yep, great movie. Reading this review makes me want to watch it today.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2004 08:02 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D-Double
.. and some junk

Man, I used to be addicted to this movie. I loved everything about it. Especially the dialog. As a kid, I was so impressed with Carey Elwes that for Halloween I was the "Man in Black". Everybody kept asking me "Are you Zorro?". The story is amazing, enhanced by the strange and creative locations:
-The pit of dispair
-The cliffs of insanity
-The fire swamp
-Miracle Max's shack

But what caught me off guard was that this movie is hilarious. I still chuckle when I think about witty banter.
-
"Fesick, are there rocks ahead?"
"If there are, we'll all be dead"
"Stop rhyming, now. I mean it!"
"Anybody want a peanut?"
-
"Get rid of him. Your way."
"Sure...uh...What's my way, again?"
"He's going to be coming over that hill soon. Grab one of these big rocks and hide somewhere. When his head is in sight, HIT IT WITH THE ROCK!"
"My way's not very sportsman like."
-
One of my top 20. And that's saying something cuz I've seen alot of movies. wink

Oh Sweat!

Old Post Sep 27th, 2004 01:49 PM
D-Double is currently offline Click here to Send D-Double a Private Message Find more posts by D-Double Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by D-Double
for Halloween I was the "Man in Black". Everybody kept asking me "Are you Zorro?".

I intend to dress as the dread pirate roberts this very halloween!

Old Post Sep 28th, 2004 09:43 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Urgh! horrible, horrible movie! we had to watch it for english at school, my class got so bored that people were either drawing, talking, sleeping, or throwing things at each other.
I wouldn't watch this movie if I was paid to! sick

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 04:30 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

my sister adored this movie and for a long time I didn't give it a chance because I was haunted by the like of 'the never ending story"

so one day she brought the movie over and said "your going to watch this" and I've loved it ever since.

this movie is defiantly a treasure for every one

quote:
Urgh! horrible, horrible movie! we had to watch it for english at school, my class got so bored that people were either drawing, talking, sleeping, or throwing things at each other.
I wouldn't watch this movie if I was paid to!

INCONCEIVABLE!
[~Vizzini ] smile

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 06:19 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
D-Double
.. and some junk

^"You keepa saying thata word. I do not think it means whatchu think it means." big grin

Oh Sweat!

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 08:14 AM
D-Double is currently offline Click here to Send D-Double a Private Message Find more posts by D-Double Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

its a good flick this Princess Bride

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 08:42 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

quote:
Originally posted by BadKitty

so one day she brought the movie over and said "your going to watch this" and I've loved it ever since.

If I had a sister and she said that to me I would make her eat those words.

quote:
Orginally posted by BadKitty

INCONCEIVABLE!

It's just us kids of today are into MTV and such good movies as Spider-Man 2.

A couple of days ago I asked my older brother to take me down to the video shop and he mentioned The Princess Bride then asked "you wanna watch it?"

My reply was "Sure, I'll go kill myself for bringing this up."

Though I loved The Never Ending Story and other old movies..........age has nothing to do with the movie, I just thought it sucked!

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 10:29 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
angelsflame265
la la la lalaaaa

this is a grand old movie smile

Offical Country Music Lover of Ravenclaw

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 05:06 PM
angelsflame265 is currently offline Click here to Send angelsflame265 a Private Message Find more posts by angelsflame265 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Stop it! stop it! STOP IT!

*covers ears with hands and rocks back and fowards*

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 03:57 AM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by BlackC@t
Stop it! stop it! STOP IT!

*covers ears with hands and rocks back and fowards*

you didnt like the film but cant give any reasons beyond "it sucked".

very sophisticated review there - perhaps you might want to dumb it down a notch for our less intelligent readers?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 04:01 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

still one of the best comedies ive ever seen, ive got the sudden urge to find it and see if it s on dvd

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 04:21 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by pr1983
see if it s on dvd

Get the special edition - its got LOADS of great stuff on there...

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 05:17 AM
BadKitty
cockeyed

quote:
If I had a sister and she said that to me I would make her eat those words.

It's just us kids of today are into MTV and such good movies as Spider-Man 2.

A couple of days ago I asked my older brother to take me down to the video shop and he mentioned The Princess Bride then asked "you wanna watch it?"

My reply was "Sure, I'll go kill myself for bringing this up."

Though I loved The Never Ending Story and other old movies..........age has nothing to do with the movie, I just thought it sucked!
BC your posts confuse me quite a bit yanno..

you say age has nothing to do with it,but yet you had a rant about kids today (where did that come from?)

and you say the movie sucked but you couldn't possibly know that because if you in fact paid attention to the movie you would have known I was quoting it and there for you needed not to reply to what I said.

besides that....your wrong. stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 08:25 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

we had to watch it as well for english and ohhh man none of us watched it. it was so boring and stupid and dumb and pointless.........so pointless

Made by the wonderful Barker .. Thanks Darling

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 08:45 AM
spidergrl is currently offline Click here to Send spidergrl a Private Message Find more posts by spidergrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

wow! what are the odds that 2 people would have watched this movie for English?! thats amazing!

perhaps thats something they do all over New Zealand smile

Last edited by BadKitty on Sep 30th, 2004 at 09:16 AM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 09:11 AM
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

shifty if only you knew!

Come on Bk stick out tongue
I mean't the age of the movie.

Besides! I watched it like a year ago!

Now come on, you had your opinion and I had mine, a mod especially should know to respect that! stick out tongue

Also, everybody knows that the best movie of the 80's was 'A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors' stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 10:40 AM
BadKitty
cockeyed

quote:
shifty if only you knew!
if you only knew what I think I know what you knew

quote:
Now come on, you had your opinion and I had mine, a mod especially should know to respect that! stick out tongue

BC you know well enough by now I don't know squat...I'll prove it...

I hated 'A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors' stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 10:55 AM
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

BlackC@t confused wacko

Old Post Sep 30th, 2004 11:35 AM