KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Stars & Celebrities » Scotty gets Beamed up...

Scotty gets Beamed up...
Started by: Zahit

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zahit
ON A MISSION FROM GOD

James "scotty" Doohan

Beamed Up...

(please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image)

1920 - 2005

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 06:10 PM
Zahit is currently offline Click here to Send Zahit a Private Message Find more posts by Zahit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Noooooo way. Well, long live, Scotty. Last I saw of him was in "Naked Gun". I'll have to pay my respects, signature style.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 06:25 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

awww man, there was a good actor, funny too.

last i saw him was in loaded weapon.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 08:32 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joseph_Kerr

RIP James, we will miss you.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 08:33 PM
Joseph_Kerr is currently offline Click here to Send Joseph_Kerr a Private Message Find more posts by Joseph_Kerr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Noooooo way. Well, long live, Scotty. Last I saw of him was in "Naked Gun". I'll have to pay my respects, signature style.

Correction, "Nat'l Lamppons Loaded Weapon 1", as the cappucino/coffeemaker repairman.

Sig's done too..happy

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 08:43 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I just hear about it. This sucks! He was a jolly fun engineer for the enterprise. RIP James sad

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 09:07 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

classic guy

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 09:28 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Scotty gets Beamed up...

'Star Trek' Star James Doohan Dies sad
By BOB THOMAS, AP

James Doohan will always be known for his role of Scotty on 'Star Trek.'

LOS ANGELES (July 20) - James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures who responded to the command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. at his Redmond, Wash., home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

The Canadian-born Doohan was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents.

"The producers asked me which one I preferred," Doohan recalled 30 years later. "I believed the Scot voice was the most commanding. So I told them, 'If this character is going to be an engineer, you'd better make him a Scotsman."'

The series, which starred William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as the enigmatic Mr. Spock, attracted an enthusiastic following of science fiction fans, especially among teenagers and children, but not enough ratings power. NBC canceled it after three seasons.

When the series ended in 1969, Doohan found himself typecast as Montgomery Scott, the canny engineer with a burr in his voice. In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow."

"I took his advice," said Doohan, "and since then everything's been just lovely."

"Star Trek" continued in syndicated TV both in the United States and abroad, and its following grew larger and more dedicated. In his later years, Doohan attended 40 "Trekkie" gatherings around the country and lectured at colleges.

The huge success of George Lucas's "Star Wars" in 1977 prompted Paramount Pictures, which had produced "Star Trek" for TV, to plan a movie based on the series. The studio brought back the TV cast and hired a topflight director, Robert Wise. "Star Trek - The Motion Picture" was successful enough to spawn five sequels.

The powerfully built Doohan, a veteran of D-Day in Normandy, spoke frankly in 1998 about his employer, Paramount, and his TV commander:

"I started out in the series at basic minimum- plus 10 percent for my agent. That was added a little bit in the second year. When we finally got to our third year, Paramount told us we'd get second-year pay! That's how much they loved us."

He accused Shatner of hogging the camera, adding: "I like Captain Kirk, but I sure don't like Bill. He's so insecure that all he can think about is himself."

James Montgomery Doohan was born March 3, 1920, in Vancouver, B.C., youngest of four children of William Doohan, a pharmacist, veterinarian and dentist, and his wife Sarah. As he wrote in his autobiography, "Beam Me Up, Scotty," his father was a drunk who made life miserable for his wife and children.

At 19, James escaped the turmoil at home by joining the Canadian army, becoming a lieutenant in artillery. He was among the Canadian forces that landed on Juno Beach on D-Day. "The sea was rough," he recalled. "We were more afraid of drowning than the Germans."

The Canadians crossed a minefield laid for tanks; the soldiers weren't heavy enough to detonate the bombs. At 11:30 that night, he was machine-gunned, taking six hits: one that took off his middle right finger (he managed to hide the missing finger on the screen), four in his leg and one in the chest. Fortunately the chest bullet was stopped by his silver cigarette case.

After the war Doohan on a whim enrolled in a drama class in Toronto. He showed promise and won a two-year scholarship to New York's famed Neighborhood Playhouse, where fellow students included Leslie Nielsen, Tony Randall and Richard Boone.

His commanding presence and booming voice brought him work as a character actor in films and television, both in Canada and the U.S. Oddly, his only other TV series besides "Star Trek" was another space adventure, "Space Command," in 1953.

Doohan's first marriage to Judy Doohan produced four children. He had two children by his second marriage to Anita Yagel. Both marriages ended in divorce. In 1974 he married Wende Braunberger, and their children were Eric, Thomas and Sarah, who was born in 2000, when Doohan was 80.

In a 1998 interview, Doohan was asked if he ever got tired of hearing the line "Beam me up, Scotty."

"I'm not tired of it at all," he replied. "Good gracious, it's been said to me for just about 31 years. It's been said to me at 70 miles an hour across four lanes on the freeway. I hear it from just about everybody. It's been fun."

Funeral arrangements were incomplete.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Jul 21st, 2005 at 04:09 PM

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 04:05 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Sad news indeed....

So thats Bones and Scotty gone... Who's next I wonder...?

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 04:13 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

well, he did live a long and fruitful life, which is all anyone can ask for.
rest in piece mr. doohan

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 04:23 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Indeed. yes

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 04:24 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

not to mention he got his 23 year old wife pregnant at the age of 80\

HOORAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 04:40 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

He had a kid 3 years ago at 82 I believe, respect to Jimmy D

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 04:57 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

no, his youngest kid was born in 2000
he was 80

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 04:58 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Man.. thats some good going!!! Good on you Mr.Doohan...!!!!!

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 04:58 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

what kinda ticked me off was that in the past couple of years, he was pretty far gone. still his family would bring him to convention after convention, where he would mumble incoherently to the crown and basically seemed like he didnt know where the hell he was. i mean, ffs let the man keep his dignity in his last days messed that urked me heavily.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 05:01 PM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes thats not rightbig grin

I still love STTOS

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 05:05 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yeah that does seem a little wrong to me at face value.... sad
I wonder if it actually made him happy or not....

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 05:09 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

I liked Scotty and Bones.......At least they won't get nuked...

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 05:13 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by debbiejo
I liked Scotty and Bones.......At least they won't get nuked...

.......................What the f**k?...............................................

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 05:15 PM