KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » He-Man Returns to the Big Screen

He-Man Returns to the Big Screen
Started by: Adam_PoE

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Adam_PoE

He-Man Returns to the Big Screen

quote:
"He-Man Returns to the Big Screen–Joel Silver Teams With Warner Bros. for the Adaptation" Michael Fleming

Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver are working with Mattel to turn "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" into a live-action film.
Justin Marks is set to write the script. Silver will produce.

Deal, which is contingent on Mattel formally approving an outline for the project, is another example of Hollywood overhauling a 1980s-era pop-culture touchstone in the hopes of seeding a tentpole pic. The sale comes just a few weeks before the July preem of DreamWorks' Michael Bay-directed "Transformers," which began as an '80s animated series and toy line.

He-Man was born as a Mattel action figure, and the toymaker created an animated series in hopes of selling dolls. The series became a cult favorite, but the brand was hardly helped by its first bigscreen incarnation, the 1987 "Masters of the Universe" that starred Dolph Lundgren as the title character and Frank Langella as his nemesis Skeletor.

The toymaker, which now licenses "He-Man" for high-end merchandise sold to hardcore collectors, has been wary of going Hollywood again. An attempt by Fox 2000 to make another movie, this time with director John Woo, ended in futility as the toymaker didn't spark to the screen plans.

For Mattel, the stakes are potentially high as success could mean an entire relaunch of a toy line.

The franchise has been reimagined by the producer and the writers and pitched to Mattel as a classic good vs. evil battle, using the kind of visual effects strategy employed in "300." A warrior is touted as the last hope of a magical land called Eternia, which is being ravaged by the evil Skeletor.

Many of the characters in the Middle Earth-like universe will be informed by the mythology created in the four different cartoon series done since the 1980s.

The story was hatched by Marks and Neil Ellice, the latter of whom will co-produce. Silver Pictures, which is turning the Japanese animated series "Speed Racer" into a live-action film to be directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski, sparked to the potential. Silver Pictures exec Navid McIlhargey brought it in and will be involved in a producing capacity.

The viability of the "He-Man" universe is evidenced by the traffic that has occurred since rumors of a screen resurrection hit the Internet. Contrary to Web rumor, the lead role has not yet been cast.

WMA-repped Marks is writing a number of scripts, including "One Free Murder," for producer Kevin Misher. But he's found a niche reimagining branded properties. He's turning the animated series "Voltron" into a live-action film for producer Mark Gordon; he's developing a screen version of the vidgame "Street Fighter" for Hyde Park; and he's scripting a feature for Warners based on DC Comics character the Green Arrow.

Old Post May 26th, 2007 06:44 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Should be interesting but no way am I watching it.The tv show was lame and so the movie will suck!jm

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 26th, 2007 04:12 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hancock1

Nah.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2007 09:12 PM
Hancock1 is currently offline Click here to Send Hancock1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hancock1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
modslayor
Restricted

Account Restricted

jim carey should be he-man lol

Old Post Jun 15th, 2007 02:04 AM
modslayor is currently offline Click here to Send modslayor a Private Message Find more posts by modslayor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I have no idea who is playing He- Man. There were only a handfull of good episodes. I hope they get some sort of bodybuilder type.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 15th, 2007 10:10 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dave_97
Party Dave

Dolph Lundgren

Lazers_go_pew_pew_pew

Old Post Jun 16th, 2007 09:27 PM
Dave_97 is currently offline Click here to Send Dave_97 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave_97 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hancock1

laughing

Old Post Jun 17th, 2007 12:28 PM
Hancock1 is currently offline Click here to Send Hancock1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hancock1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

I'm sure that any body builder can play He-Man. Of course, he has to have ripped abs. Some body builders are bulky and don't really have a ripped midsection. Take this from someone with a chiseled 8 pack, big grin : abs makes a body builder look a lot better.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2007 10:59 PM
Black Yoshi is currently offline Click here to Send Black Yoshi a Private Message Find more posts by Black Yoshi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dave_97
Party Dave

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Yoshi Fanatic
I'm sure that any body builder can play He-Man. Of course, he has to have ripped abs. Some body builders are bulky and don't really have a ripped midsection. Take this from someone with a chiseled 8 pack, big grin : abs makes a body builder look a lot better.
Originally posted by dave_kodak
Dolph Lundgren

Lazers_go_pew_pew_pew

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 03:01 AM
Dave_97 is currently offline Click here to Send Dave_97 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave_97 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Who's Dolph Lundgren? Would you mind posting a good picture of him?

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 07:11 AM
Black Yoshi is currently offline Click here to Send Black Yoshi a Private Message Find more posts by Black Yoshi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 07:34 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Oh, okay. He would make a great He-Man. I wonder if he would WANT to portray He-Man...

Last edited by Black Yoshi on Jun 19th, 2007 at 07:47 AM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 07:42 AM
Count Makashi
Count Dookus number 1 fan

Jack Black, would fit the role perfectly.

General G made this sig, but i am going to keep annoying him.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 07:42 PM
Count Makashi is currently offline Click here to Send Count Makashi a Private Message Find more posts by Count Makashi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Count Makashi
Jack Black, would fit the role perfectly.

I didn't realize He-Man was going to be a comedy.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 10:09 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

I hope it isn't a comedy. It needs to be packed with action.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 10:54 PM
Dave_97
Party Dave

He WAS He-man, thats why i said it.

In the first Live Action movie of Heman he was Heman.

Lazers_go_pew_pew_pew

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 10:54 PM
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Oh. Well, if he already played He-Man in a live action movie, then I doubt that he would portray He-Man again. I'm pretty sure that a younger, yet muscular actor should portray He-Man.

Last edited by Black Yoshi on Jun 19th, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 11:10 PM
Dave_97
Party Dave

Lazers_go_pew_pew_pew

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 11:12 PM
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Cool. Now all we need is for someone who looks like him to portray He-Man. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Black Yoshi on Jun 20th, 2007 at 07:05 AM

Old Post Jun 20th, 2007 07:00 AM
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

I heard Brad Pitt was cast to play He-Man

Old Post Jul 8th, 2007 09:08 AM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote