KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Scientific Accuracy?

Scientific Accuracy?
Started by: Dataflux

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dataflux

Scientifica;lly Accurate?

Must all science fiction movies be scientifically accurate at all times? Or is some inaccuracy forgiven as long as it looks good on screen?

The most recent movie I'm thinking of is Indianna Jones IV. There were plenty of scientific mistakes in it that did put me off of the film, such as the magnetic properties of the object they were looking for in the warehouse when he threw that gunpowder in the air and it drifted towards the source of the magnetism.

And the most blatant was the survival of a nuclear blast. He simply should not have survived under any circumstances.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2008 12:05 AM
Dataflux is currently offline Click here to Send Dataflux a Private Message Find more posts by Dataflux Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Rules can be bent to deliver great movies.

As far as the Crystal Skull, I think the magnetic properties are well enough explained later in the movie when you find that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: aliens are behind it.

And some other things were just comedic effect, such as the fridge. With the nuclear bomb testing, it also gave us a blatant sense of what period it is so we know that Spielberg isn't bullshitting us, telling us that it's a year after Last Crusade.

And he obviously wouldn't have survived the waterfalls. However, I laughed very loud when I saw Indy hugging his hat at the last waterfall. It was the kind of Indy humor we all know and love.

Another obvious example is Star Wars. Since there is no air in space, you shouldn't hear anything. But X-Wings fighting the Death Star would have been boring as hell if we didn't hear the laser shots.

However, in 2001: ASO, we couldn't hear when someone was drifting into space. That was more scientifically accurate and it only worked in this because of the suspense.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2008 12:39 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

That's the difference between hard and soft sci-fi

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 08:41 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't care frankly if films don't get everything right and I don't waste my time worrying about such things in FICTIONAL FILMS, if I want scientific accuracy then I will watch a documentary or go to Uni to do a degree in whatever area...

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 04:24 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Most sci-fi movies are either metaphorical or purely fantastical. The metaphorical one's are usually the type that take the more realistic approach. As long as the presentation provokes meaningful thought nothing else really matters. If accuracy were the main concern it wouldn't be science fiction.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 11:57 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

If it's stuff not in our universe (star wars) then it doesn't have to be accurate, cause you can separate yourself from reality but any space movie needs sound in it otherwise it is boring.
This is not really scifi i guess but superman returns really bugged me when the shuttle was on top of the plane and it's boosters engaged man those bolts must of been strong, but what is worse as soon as they hit mach 1 the plane would of been ripped to pieces.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2008 07:01 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

star wars is in our universe. its just far away and long ago... thats how c3po and r2d2 get into Raiders of the Lost ark....

Old Post Nov 8th, 2008 01:40 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I never worry about whether a movie is scientifically accurate

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 8th, 2008 11:10 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lycanthrope
"Vita Detestabilis"

You never know, what is accuracy, they made a movie about going to the moon in the 1920's it wasn't accurate but we did go to the moon 50 years later so you can suspend disbelief for a chance of it being reality.

"To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!" - Khan (reciting Melville)

Old Post Nov 9th, 2008 01:45 AM
Lycanthrope is currently offline Click here to Send Lycanthrope a Private Message Find more posts by Lycanthrope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Going to the moon was still possible according to the laws of physics known in the 20s

Just because it hadn't been done yet didn't mean it was impossible

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Nov 11th, 2008 08:05 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dataflux
Must all science fiction movies be scientifically accurate at all times?
No.

...is some inaccuracy forgiven as long as it looks good on screen?
Yes.

And the most blatant was the survival of a nuclear blast. He simply should not have survived under any circumstances.
Thou shalt not violate suspension of disbelief.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2008 08:17 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lycanthrope
"Vita Detestabilis"

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Going to the moon was still possible according to the laws of physics known in the 20s

Are you sure they had the concept of escape velocity in the 1920's and the distance calculated to the Moon? WOW . Enlighten me please how could they know that?

"To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!" - Khan (reciting Melville)

Old Post Nov 12th, 2008 10:30 PM
Lycanthrope is currently offline Click here to Send Lycanthrope a Private Message Find more posts by Lycanthrope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Sir Isaac Newton's theories of gravity

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Nov 14th, 2008 03:09 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

If it does bother you when something is inaccurate, does it make you feel better if there is some sort of pseudoscientific explanation tacked on? Prime example: Quantum Physics. No one (or at least very few laypeople) actually understands the theories, so they can be used to rationalize almost anything.

As someone that actually tries to keep up with the most recent ridiculous high end physics developments this really bugs me. Case in point: The Heroes season finale had someone move really really fast and go back in time. Later, they moved really really fast and went forward in time. General Relativity makes no provision (that I'm aware of) for the acceleration of time. It is one thing to go backwards, but another thing entirely to go in the opposite direction.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2008 09:08 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K-Dog

And people can control the weather or turn into steel if they have a few DNA mutations too (or shoot plasma out of their eyes that can blow a hole in a mountain).

Last edited by K-Dog on Dec 29th, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 12:33 AM
K-Dog is currently offline Click here to Send K-Dog a Private Message Find more posts by K-Dog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by K-Dog
And people can control the weather or turn into steel if they have a few DNA mutations too (or shoot plasma out of their eyes that can blow a hole in a mountain).

That part is merely suspension of disbelief- I have no problem that it is magical- I'm not watching NOVA or the discovery channel. I just want a show/movie to remain internally consistent.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 04:37 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Wolfie
Rules can be bent to deliver great movies.

As far as the Crystal Skull, I think the magnetic properties are well enough explained later in the movie when you find that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: aliens are behind it.

And some other things were just comedic effect, such as the fridge. With the nuclear bomb testing, it also gave us a blatant sense of what period it is so we know that Spielberg isn't bullshitting us, telling us that it's a year after Last Crusade.

And he obviously wouldn't have survived the waterfalls. However, I laughed very loud when I saw Indy hugging his hat at the last waterfall. It was the kind of Indy humor we all know and love.

Another obvious example is Star Wars. Since there is no air in space, you shouldn't hear anything. But X-Wings fighting the Death Star would have been boring as hell if we didn't hear the laser shots.

However, in 2001: ASO, we couldn't hear when someone was drifting into space. That was more scientifically accurate and it only worked in this because of the suspense.

Suspension of disbelief

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 10:05 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
meep-meep
What are you angry about?

Its called science FICTION, right? If you're looking for rules rent a documentary...
Besides the whole reason we have what we today is because of people thinking outside the general perception of reality...and then making it a reality. Just my opinion

Old Post Apr 13th, 2009 02:00 PM
meep-meep is currently offline Click here to Send meep-meep a Private Message Find more posts by meep-meep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote