KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » What Were The Monoliths In 2010?

What Were The Monoliths In 2010?
Started by: Vanillasherbet

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Vanillasherbet

What Were The Monoliths In 2010?

They’re supposed to be intelligent supercomputer machines that were created by a definitely humanoid and possibly human race that existed 1 billion years ago... a race who had reached they’re singularity by 10 fold.

A race who also had the technology to download their minds Mechanist Religion style probably similar to the monoliths... even greater than that, their minds could roam free which is stupid... because well not only is Mechanism stupid but their claim would be that they became a Vitalist lifeform, which is also stupid as this would mean that they’re in fact dead aliens or dead humans who can now communicate with the dead aliens or dead humans that died before their singularity happened.

I think the secret is that the monoliths actually were the first born alien/human race disguising themselves as the superHAL’s of their time.

As to whether they were actually human... the evidence is actually strong for this, because they never found any other intelligent humanoid race apart from humans in their entire search... which would mean that only the first born and the second born (humans) ever existed.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2010 08:33 AM
Vanillasherbet is currently offline Click here to Send Vanillasherbet a Private Message Find more posts by Vanillasherbet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Or, the question could be - what were the Monoliths in 2001: A Space Odyssey? Because they were the same ones.
I haven't read extensively what Arthur C. Clarke may have claimed elsewhere about them, but in the films they are still enigmatic.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 16th, 2010 04:28 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vanillasherbet

Yea they were different generations of Superintelligence created by a mortal race.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2010 11:22 PM
Vanillasherbet is currently offline Click here to Send Vanillasherbet a Private Message Find more posts by Vanillasherbet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: What Were The Monoliths In 2010?

The intro of 2001 sums most of it up it up with the ape-men scene.

They were made to find life, serve as observation devices and to promote evolution if the life they found was deemed worthy of attaining higher consciousness.

The Quatermass and The Pit (aka 5 Millions Years to Earth) deals with a similar concept of human evolution being due extraterrestrial forces, but not in a benign manner as the Monoliths in 2001/10. Decent 60's horror flick it is, though I have a fondness for the cheesiness of Hammer Films.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 16th, 2010 11:42 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

...and I thought they were something from IKEA's 2010 Summer Catalog. embarrasment

Old Post Dec 17th, 2010 02:45 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mardook
Easier said than done!

Has anybody read 3001, a pretty good read and probably a worthwhile sequel if they were to do it. It answers some questions about the Monoliths quite well.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2011 06:48 AM
mardook is currently offline Click here to Send mardook a Private Message Find more posts by mardook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tarand
Restricted

Account Restricted

These things looked pretty good, and some that I can learn, and I hope to learn more on it!

Old Post Apr 1st, 2011 01:08 AM
tarand is currently offline Click here to Send tarand a Private Message Find more posts by tarand Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

they sure pissed those monkeys off

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 11:17 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ubermensch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Basically they are swiss army knives. In the books they were the tools of the Alien intelligence and how it interacted with us. They were able to teach, evolve and even turn Jupiter into a sun by adding more mass so fusion could start. All these worlds are yours except etc.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2011 12:37 PM
Ubermensch is currently offline Click here to Send Ubermensch a Private Message Find more posts by Ubermensch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koenig

quote: (post)
Originally posted by mardook
Has anybody read 3001, a pretty good read and probably a worthwhile sequel if they were to do it. It answers some questions about the Monoliths quite well.

You missed a book, the third book was 2061 odyssey three.

quote:
Arthur C.Clarke's space saga contines in 2061, when an Earth vessel landing on Halley's Comet marks the beginning of another confrontation between Heywood Floyd and David Bowman - or whatever Bowman has become - a newly independent HAL and the unseen alien power that controls the destiny of Earth.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2011 08:52 PM
Koenig is currently offline Click here to Send Koenig a Private Message Find more posts by Koenig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote