KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Foreign Cinema » French movie late '90s award winner: can't remember the title!

French movie late '90s award winner: can't remember the title!
Started by: ninka b. less

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ninka b. less

French movie late '90s award winner: can't remember the title!

I'm trying to remember the title of a French movie which stars a young girl who is barely eking out an existence in the mean and bleak streets of France. The movie opens up with her being forcibly removed from her job. Desperation is the undercurrent in the movie. She walks the streets looking for a job. She lives with her mother, a drunk, in a trailer. They seem to be part of the forgotten class, living on the fringe of society. There are two powerful images in the movie: one is of her removing her muddy rubber boots before she enters her trailer. It is a gesture so true to her character, to her ferocity to keep her home clean, that when I saw it, it made me weep.

The other is of her whispering her name (which may be the title of the movie) before she goes to sleep. She utters it again and again as if to ward off the darkness that is falling all around her.

The ending is dark and sad and perfect.

I would be grateful for your better recall, your inventoried memories.

Thanks.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2008 10:43 PM
ninka b. less is currently offline Click here to Send ninka b. less a Private Message Find more posts by ninka b. less Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote