KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Harry Potter Fiction » The Crypt of Great Fortune

How Would You Rate The Crypt of Great Fortune?
This poll is closed.
You Have a Natural Writing Talent. Your Story Rocks eek! 6 66.67%
Your Story is enjoyable, But hindered a bit with a few Flaws smile 2 22.22%
Your story Needs more than a bit of work erm 0 0%
Never Write another story again...................Ever : | 1 11.11%
Total: 9 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Crypt of Great Fortune
Started by: Barker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

The Crypt of Great Fortune

This Is only the second Fanfic I've done, so yes it will contain errors.(To anyone wondering, I've Merely got Writers Block for The Sorcerer's Return, and will get back to it. First off, I do not own any of the characters of Mrs. Rowlings, I am merely using them for my entertainment. This Story takes place in about 1970, The time James Potter and the Marauders were at Hogwarts. This will be my shot at a Pre-Harry Hogwarts, or James Backstory, exept it will not be from James's point of view. (A quick sorry to Sartan, My Beata Reader, for not waiting for him to approve before going on with this project.)

From the top of Grantrick Hill, Devon Winterton had a breathtaking view of the surrounding area. To the east lay the village, and beyond that, the Ocean. On the other sides, however, a blanket of green was all that could be seen. A forest. Devon had been in that forest on numerous occasions, of course, but he had stuck the winding road which cut through it. His Aunt’s house was on the other side of the island. The town, luckily, was for more interesting than a collection of foliage. While Grantrick (The town’s Name) was considered one town, it’s two sections could not be any more different. A deep valley separated Lesser Grantrick from it’s Brother, Greater Grantrick. They land they lay on were eerily the same. That, was were the similarities ended.

While in Greater Grantrick, you could expect to find shops a plenty, Pleasant Family outings, and A Sense of General Cleanliness. Spotless cars lined the Straight rows of quality Houses in the Neighborhoods. Neatly trimmed lawns of Green grass were the norm. Lesser Grantrick, however, was an entirely different world. The only shops you would find in this Area consisted of Dope and Raunchy Magazines. The young women who stood on the street corners did nothing to help the dire look of the place. You almost never saw any Families about, more often you heard Yelps of pain coming within the Dingy Shacks. Weeds had sprouted among all of the yards; It seemed the People of Lesser Grantrick simply didn’t care about their perception. The barren Parks supplied by the Mayor years before lay empty. One might go as far as to call them Barren. The festivals usually found in Greater Grantrick were unceremoniously absent, Unless you counted the Swap meets which were held on Saturdays. Cars too, were absent. You more often saw Aging bicycles, or for the Poorest citizen, Merely Walking.

Turning his gaze towards the Ocean, Devon Smirked. A ship was just pulling into the harbor. Perhaps it was his father’s boat, the Echo III. He watched as a dozen sailors Came from within the vessel, and tied the ship to the dock. They began Unloading it’s contents. Quickly losing interest in the Working Sea-Men, he began to retreat to his house, sneaking a glance at the Neighborhoods of Greater Grantrick in the process. Everything looked normal, except for one oddity. Devon clearly saw a Brown shaped against the Green Lawn of a House. Someone must have been neglecting their yard, He thought. And Unless he was mistaken, he also saw a Smaller, Brighter Spot near the Brown one. Perhaps a group of Mushrooms had sprouted overnight. He again lost interest, and turned fully around, walking steadily toward his towering house.

Alex Barker Lay on his freshly mown lawn, looking up at the clouds above his house. His white dog lay next to him, on his back. Stroking his mutt, he sighed. Alex was lonely. After the school year, it seem that all his friends had left him, either for family vacations, or camps in the mountains. Luckily, however, he had his dog to keep him company. He had had the dog for over a year, but they had only really bonded in the last few weeks. Losing interest in the clouds, he stood up and started towards his house. “C’mon Hurley”, He said., before disappearing into the building.

His first thought upon entering his home, was that something was wrong. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, although he had that queer feeling, where one felt as if they were being watched. The hair on the back of his neck stood as he heard the sound of footsteps. It was his sister.

“Hey Alex”, She said cheerfully. Alex responded with a Hi, and they began a conversation.
“Mom’s out, and Dad’s out working, so we’re here alone”, She announced.
“Right”, Alex Replied.
“I was thinking, that since we have nothing better to do, that we could go out fishing, then come home for dinner” She said.

Alex fought a smirk. It was common knowledge in the Barker house, that Clare hated fishing, from the unbearable waiting, to the disgusting stench. It was obviously pity, as his mother had told the whole house how his friends had all left him. She feels sorry for me, Alex thought. Surprising himself, he didn’t feel annoyed, but grateful.

“Ok”, Alex Replied, and they began making plans to leave that hour.

While it was certainly fun, it was not what you would call productive. Clare had squealed with disgust when Alex had brought up his first catch, and after that, it erupted into more of a swim trip than anything. When they arrived home hours later, dripping wet and shivering, Alex again had that funny feeling of being watched. Shaking it off, he helped his sister prepare dinner.(Spagetti) His parents arrived home at half past 9, and he was in bed by 10.

When he woke the next morning, the first thing he saw was his calender. Red slashes were scattered on it, counting down the days untill Michael would come home from Space Came.(The Recent Cold War had launched the Space Race, and Michael was nothing short of obsessed) It was the Twenty-Fourth of July, one month untill his birthday, as he was reminded almost daily by his mother. He would be turning 11, 4 years younger than Clare, who had celebrated her Fourteenth Birthday Earlier in the year, on Saint Patrick’s Day. Yawning, he left the warmth of his bed and went downstairs into the Kitchen. He was shocked to see a stranger there. The man was wearing a Long Black cloak, which went with his Dark pants, Thin Eyes, and Thick goatee magnificently.

Slightly embarrassed about being in his pajamas, he sat down. He was equally as shocked to see his Parents at home. According to the clock in his room,(Which he had checked before coming down), it was close to Eleven. He had slept a long time. His Parents looked grim, while Clare looked mildly interested. The stranger spoke.

“Hello, Alex”, he said. His accent was hard to place.
“Er, Hi”, the Confused boy replied.
“I’ll get straight to the point”, The Man said,”My name, is Mr. Maxwell. I have some very interesting news for you”.
He reached into his coat and pulled out what seemed to be a letter. It was yellowish, and had Green writing written on it. Scowling, Alex took it. Who was this man, and why did he have to hand deliver this letter? The Post would have been much easier. The address took him by surprise.

Mr. A. Barker
The Room by the Stairs
24 Taussing Street
Grantrick
Isle of Sayre

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Sep 12th, 2005 03:00 AM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker

.....or not no expression

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 07:15 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

hey, i did not know you posted it...of couse you probably already told me but i forgot...well of course you are going to hear this from me...THIS IS GOOD...

WHAT SOMEONE SAID THAT IS THE WORST STORY EVER??? THEY DON'T KNOW A GOOD WRITTER WHEN THEY SEE ONE!!!

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 10:17 PM
xEsaulx is currently offline Click here to Send xEsaulx a Private Message Find more posts by xEsaulx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Midnight109

This is BRILLIANT !!!

Who in their right minds would vote for you never to wirte another story?

Previously Hermione202 and Midnight_Miss

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 11:53 PM
Midnight109 is currently offline Click here to Send Midnight109 a Private Message Find more posts by Midnight109 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

Someone with very small intelegence that's who.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2005 10:54 PM
xEsaulx is currently offline Click here to Send xEsaulx a Private Message Find more posts by xEsaulx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
danagrint1
Rupert's Wife

very good!

Old Post Oct 14th, 2005 12:05 AM
danagrint1 is currently offline Click here to Send danagrint1 a Private Message Find more posts by danagrint1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker

Ah...........Screw It. I'll contine this when I'm done with The Sorcerers Return. That way, I'll have some written ahead, and I won't have major shortages of Posts.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2005 05:23 AM