KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Why Does Everyone Hate/Dislike/Loathe the DC Universe

Why Does Everyone Hate/Dislike/Loathe the DC Universe
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Miffed Why Does Everyone Hate/Dislike/Loathe the DC Universe

It seems there's a very large portion of KMC members who are very inknowledgeable of DC comics and seems to hate DC comics with a passion. Why? Discuss.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 09:40 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stormfront13

i read them, but I dont like DC all that much because they overpower their cvharacters way to much imo

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 10:15 PM
stormfront13 is currently offline Click here to Send stormfront13 a Private Message Find more posts by stormfront13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

I have very few Dc comics. I don't dislike them, in fact one of my favourite storyline's is a DC one (Batman Hush) However, I generally prefer Marvel because of the Characters eg. Spidey, Deadpool etc and because of the storylines eg. Ultimates the skrull alien invasion storyline and Daredevil Guardian Devil.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 10:43 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

I never understood why DC is considered overpowered. Compared to Marvel I'd say they're underpowered. For example, Superman is considered overpowered by haters everywhere but people like Thor and Silver Surfer aren't?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 10:48 PM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ultimate Ion
I never understood why DC is considered overpowered. Compared to Marvel I'd say they're underpowered. For example, Superman is considered overpowered by haters everywhere but people like Thor and Silver Surfer aren't?

I really do believe that D.C. characters are on the whole a bit more powerful than Marvel characters. But Marvel is definately catching up !!!!!!!!!!!

I dont tghink anyone hates D.C. i just think that Marvel is far more popular on this forum.

With exception of the Mutants i dont like the way the powers are distrubuted . (Not with street level characters) Lots ave too many abilities. Like Thors hammer; what exactly Can't it do ???????? Cosmic being can re arrange matter and so on, yet their battles mainly consist of colourful energy blasts. smile

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 10:59 PM
R.O.T. Yahman is currently offline Click here to Send R.O.T. Yahman a Private Message Find more posts by R.O.T. Yahman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think its because many people are young at KMC and find DC plots difficult generally when compared to 616.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 11:02 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Re: Why Does Everyone Hate/Dislike/Loathe the DC Universe

Originally posted by Draco69
It seems there's a very large portion of KMC members who are very inknowledgeable of DC comics and seems to hate DC comics with a passion. Why? Discuss.

I love DC, and think the writing is better.

Marvel has the "cool character" factor.

I think overall that they are a tie.

But if marvel keeps up the secondary mutations...

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 11:02 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manjaro
No-No Place-licky McNicky

nobdy hates dc. who says that? its only a few fringe ppl who's hatin'cuz they know DC is uber powrful. also DC has always had darker, better, twisting and more thought provoking plot lines. other than "wow! we live in the same city has gods, aliens, cyborgs and genticaly enhanced beings but we're hated cuz we're mutants(sob) must.....get... them... to...love...us...by...selflessly...saving...thier...worthless...lives....and getting...no....gratitude.....in return...AaHHHH!!!!!"

or...."geee. i have a hot supermodel/actress wife at home, but instead of bouncing that ass every chance i get, i run off at the sound of the faintest siren becuase...saving...lives....is...more...important....than....working....on...my...mariiage....Aaahhaa!!!"

*SECRET NO-NO PLACE* Licking FTW Baby!!!!!!rock rock

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 11:10 PM
manjaro is currently offline Click here to Send manjaro a Private Message Find more posts by manjaro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

I guess if each universe is based on total bench press then yeah, DC is overpowered.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 11:12 PM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Originally posted by manjaro
nobdy hates dc. who says that? its only a few fringe ppl who's hatin'cuz they know DC is uber powrful. also DC has always had darker, better, twisting and more thought provoking plot lines. other than "wow! we live in the same city has gods, aliens, cyborgs and genticaly enhanced beings but we're hated cuz we're mutants(sob) must.....get... them... to...love...us...by...selflessly...saving...thier...worthless...lives....and getting...no....gratitude.....in return...AaHHHH!!!!!"

or...."geee. i have a hot supermodel/actress wife at home, but instead of bouncing that ass every chance i get, i run off at the sound of the faintest siren becuase...saving...lives....is...more...important....than....working....on...my...mariiage....Aaahhaa!!!"
lol

" bouncing that ass"

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 11:21 PM
Tha C-Master is currently offline Click here to Send Tha C-Master a Private Message Find more posts by Tha C-Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally posted by Whirlysplatt
I think its because many people are young at KMC and find DC plots difficult generally when compared to 616.

I like DC but this is the best plot they did.......

http://www.superdickery.com/dick/112.html

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2005 11:33 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

lol

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 12:08 AM
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Well, it may be because people like Marvel more (overall) but that doesn't mean they loathe DC. I sure don't. I read Batman, Superman and GL comics. I do like Marvel better however.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 01:27 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Whirlysplatt

Actually, quite the opposite.

D.C is the Disney of comics, they have the ultra happy goody goody heroes who always saves the day.
Wonder Woman is perfect with no weaknesses, Superman is always happy go lucky ready to save the world, perfect looks, perfect parents, perfect power. It's too kiddy. Too unrealistic.

There are hardly ever any type of conflicting (well, definitely none pre crisis).
Galactus is a prime example, he was one of, if not the first character who was a villain, but not really.
Yes he killed everyone with no remorse, but he didn't have a choice, he wasn't evil because he was above such terms.
D.C didn't have this, in D.C everything was cut and dry, black and white.
Only until recently did D.C realize no one relates to perfect heroes.
Most people outgrow D.C after they turn 15.

Spiderman is the average joe, Wolverine is totally conflicted and wasn't at first a superhero at all. Ironman was a alcoholic. Strange was too, plus he has to refuse to help non magic problems.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 01:54 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

X-Men are the generic outcasts, you can replace "mutant" with what ever oppressed group you are. Watch X2 again, and during the discussion with Mr and Mrs. Drake replace the word "mutant" with anything, like gay. Try it out and see what I mean.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 02:12 AM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Yep. Mutant back then was equated to race. NOW it's equated to homosexuality.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 02:21 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Originally posted by long pig
Actually, quite the opposite.

D.C is the Disney of comics, they have the ultra happy goody goody heroes who always saves the day.
Wonder Woman is perfect with no weaknesses, Superman is always happy go lucky ready to save the world, perfect looks, perfect parents, perfect power. It's too kiddy. Too unrealistic.

There are hardly ever any type of conflicting (well, definitely none pre crisis).
Galactus is a prime example, he was one of, if not the first character who was a villain, but not really.
Yes he killed everyone with no remorse, but he didn't have a choice, he wasn't evil because he was above such terms.
D.C didn't have this, in D.C everything was cut and dry, black and white.
Only until recently did D.C realize no one relates to perfect heroes.
Most people outgrow D.C after they turn 15.

Spiderman is the average joe, Wolverine is totally conflicted and wasn't at first a superhero at all. Ironman was a alcoholic. Strange was too, plus he has to refuse to help non magic problems.

Good post!!

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 02:57 AM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

What REALLY annoys me is that many posters in the VERSUS forum create "Let's see a DC hero(s) get the crap pounded out of him by a hopelessly outmatched foe"

For god's sake when you pit beings like Set or the Eternals against someone like Superman you KNOW something is incredibly biased.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 03:20 AM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

no doubt about it, draco. the other thing that confuses me - there were about 4 posts saying DC is overpowered, yet the majority of the threads created (that use characters that are approximately even in power levels) have the MARVEL character defeating the DC character.

what people fail to understand about the characters in dc is that they are iconic, a part of our culture and history. that can be both good and bad. the good thing is they are the originals. those who hold to tradition and a sense of . . . nostalgia, will forever love batman, wonderwoman, superman, aquaman. the BAD thing though is that because they were created first, others that followed were able to take the general idea of the characters and in SOME WAYS (in SOME eyes), make them better. marvel did this by granting their characters a 'never-before-achieved-up-til-that-time' level of 'humanity'. they saw what dc offered - god-like heroes, nearly infallible and unbeatable -- so they took things in a different direction. but had dc not paved the way for the medium, marvel may never have been what it is - IF it would have been at all.

seeing the success marvel was having with their 'human characters', dc was forced to change. but there was/is the problem - because their heroes ARE icons, how do they alter the characters WITHOUT fundamentally altering them?? they've struggled with it for decades now. have they fixed the problem and found a happy medium? i'm not sure. the quality of both story AND art has increased in the comic industry - it had to or it might not have survived. i've always enjoyed both, but they ARE distinct. i agree with long that marvel is more . . . complex, perhaps a bit more reflective of our world and its foibles/ perhaps that in itself is enough to explain why it is preferred - it is more easily related to. dc often tends to be a bit . . . simpler (though i think they have been muddying the waters more in the alst few years). but even if you DON'T enjoy dc, you should at least have respect for their history and acknowledge the PIVOTAL role characters like wonderwoman and superman played in the history of comics and beyond that, in popular culture itself.

end essay.

smile

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 03:40 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tha C-Master
Zitz! Rash! Pimple!

Originally posted by Draco69
What REALLY annoys me is that many posters in the VERSUS forum create "Let's see a DC hero(s) get the crap pounded out of him by a hopelessly outmatched foe"

For god's sake when you pit beings like Set or the Eternals against someone like Superman you KNOW something is incredibly biased.
Understood completely, I hate biased "spite threads" or whatever they're called, where its like.

"insert character you hate here" threads.

Thats why the threads in comic versus suck mostly...

Stompin' Time!!!
Props to SK wink

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2005 03:49 AM