KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Did Wonder Woman Do the Right Thing By Killing Maxwell Lord?

Did Wonder Woman Do the Right Thing By Killing Maxwell Lord?
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Did Wonder Woman Do the Right Thing By Killing Maxwell Lord?

There's an ENORMOUS outrage/debate about Wonder Woman killing Maxwell Lord.

What's your opinion?

Old Post Sep 13th, 2005 10:35 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

damn you.... i was just starting to read the OMAC storyline when i came to have a look on here and saw your thread title......

DAMN YOU!

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 12:23 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

EEEEEEKKK! Sorry. embarrasment

Quick oblivate yourself!

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 12:36 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

Was it the right thing? Depends upon your level of morality. Some people are black and white, I think it's all grey. I'm interested to see how it pans out.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 01:04 AM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
8bitChris
?Esoteric?

I think it's just what people should get used to. There is going to be a lot more of it.

DC is trying to be more gritty now. Apparently gritty means having rape, and dead B list characters. And if there is rape and death in comic storylines, then they have to be good! According to the way critics evaluate things nowadays anyway.

Good ol' Super Hero stories just don't cut it anymore.

Doop Lives...

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 01:44 AM
8bitChris is currently offline Click here to Send 8bitChris a Private Message Find more posts by 8bitChris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

Once in awhile, something like that happening is interesting. So often we see the characters make empty threats, "I'll kill you for what you've done!" To have a situation that was truly inescapable, and to have Wonder Woman snap his neck, that was sweet. That was a great moment, that should have repercussions for years. If it starts happening every five minutes, then DC's going to be even more boring than before. A conscious effort to be something or to change eventually ends up delivering less than stellar products.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 03:05 AM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

Why would there be outrage about it? It was what had to be done. And it wasn't some arbitrary thing like "Man, this guy's annoying as hell *SNAP", he told her the ONLY way to stop him was to kill him, and he was (i believe) tied up in her lasso, so it was the truth. She did what needed to be done, and that's a good thing.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 03:24 AM
Khellendros is currently offline Click here to Send Khellendros a Private Message Find more posts by Khellendros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Pretty much agree that all she did was what was necessary. I don't see why there's such outrage. Reminds me of the "Is Galactus evil for consuming worlds." argument.

I read an article in defense of WW's actions on IGN:
"Mindwipe Not an Option
The most sound argument against Wonder Woman's actions is that, given time, the JLA would have found a way to contain Max. But Double-W is well-versed in the League's "way" with villains who know the secret identities of heroes. As Wonder Woman has clearly stated, it's more honorable to kill your enemy than turn them into a mindless buffoon.

A Warrior's Way
Wonder Woman hails from a land of warrior women. Though she may spend her days among American citizens, she is still a Themysciran. Her culture does not share the outside world's morality system. That's not to say they are not without mercy, but at an early age Wonder Woman was taught not to hesitate in battle. She took the only action acceptable to her, one most other heroes would have shied from.

Batman Began
Wonder Woman had just a split-second to make her decision. In that one, brief moment the events of the past few hours must have been a major factor leading to her snapping Max's neck.

Though not in control of himself, Superman nearly killed Batman, leaving the Dark Knight broken, burned and half-dead. He also systematically took down the entire JLA and delivered Wonder Woman to Max Lord. It turns out that Max was correct -- Superman's power is too great. Uncontrolled, he could take out Earth's greatest line of defense. Batman was shattered by Superman and had to be stopped before he did more damage.

Kill Max or Kill Superman
As Max asserted, if knocked unconscious, he would at some point regain control of Superman and set this entire devious plan into motion once more. In that immediate moment, only two options were available: Kill Superman or kill Maxwell Lord. Because of Superman's power level and Max's obsession with destroying the world's superheroes, the battle against the Man of Steel would have been endless. The heroes would need to continually battle Superman until he was not just defeated, but destroyed. Even if stopped, he would come at them, again and again, like any villain. He would never be stopped.

Let's face it, if you have to kill someone and your choice is the greatest hero in the universe or an evil, murdering bastard, which would you choose?

The Truth Doesn't Lie
Max Lord attempted to control Wonder Woman's mind, but failed, because she is gifted with seeing the truth. When her lasso is around an individual, they cannot lie. With Max wrapped in the ethereal rope of her lasso, the head of Checkmate could not fib. When asked by Wonder Woman how to free Superman from his control, Max answered plainly, "Kill me."

This isn't the same as Batman deducing there's only one way to stop a criminal or Superman "feeling" the right thing to do. This is truth laid bare. Without the ability to lie, Maxwell Lord told Wonder Woman exactly what she had to do. There were no other options. Even Max knew that."

Imo if anyone should be held responsible... it's Batman.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 03:49 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Batman is COMPLETELY to blame...and the bastard acts like it's not his fault.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 04:13 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

She did the right thing. definately. Although i still think that max lord started out doing the right thing but went too far mind-controling superman

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 09:01 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
olympian

"Batman is COMPLETELY to blame...and the bastard acts like it's not his fault."

How i would had laugh my ass off if Booster had fried him.

Booster being one of my fav DCU characters? Heck i`d dance a jig.

Superman on the other hand needs to stop babysitting Bats. Tool.

About Diana i think the whole discusing was "it could have been found another way" like k.o Max, and clean his mind, trap him into some dimension etc.

While that might be - true - and a heroes way its to always find the better way, ethically speaking..she followed the warriors path. She was fighting someone who could (had) kill (ed) her and so she sent all to Hades. Villain dead= no more problems.

Doesnt seem that much out of character for me. Looks more like pll bashing the DC editorial " lets destroy the Giffen JLa era " more like it.

Last edited by olympian on Sep 14th, 2005 at 09:36 AM

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 09:32 AM
olympian is currently offline Click here to Send olympian a Private Message Find more posts by olympian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

It had to be done... i don't know if that sounds rather cold, but imo it was a neccessary action... save the life of one man? or let superman run amok killing hundreds of thousands...

Easy choice imo...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 09:36 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Phantom Zone ? What happened to that ? smile

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 12:44 PM
R.O.T. Yahman is currently offline Click here to Send R.O.T. Yahman a Private Message Find more posts by R.O.T. Yahman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manjaro
No-No Place-licky McNicky

DC should use her as the requisite clean up crew. let her kill all the bad guys, cuz if you cherck the ratio she only stopped killing ppl when she joined the league, but when she was adventuring on her own, especially in mystcal realms she would massacre hordes of demons at a time , even a few earthern @ssholes as felt her rage,but supes boy scouty ness rubbed off on her i guess

*SECRET NO-NO PLACE* Licking FTW Baby!!!!!!rock rock

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 01:03 PM
manjaro is currently offline Click here to Send manjaro a Private Message Find more posts by manjaro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by yahman
Phantom Zone ? What happened to that ? smile

he turned it into a paradise didnt he? and besides, she'd have had to kill superman to get lord to the phantom zone...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 03:50 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

How is it Batman's fault?
Lord's been working on this since he founded the new JLA in 1991.
He had several runs as the villain of the story, his plans always got stopped, but it never led back to him.. meanwhile he was the generally the funder and spokesman for the JLA.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 03:58 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mainstream
lighting the way

Originally posted by Juntai
He had several runs as the villain of the story, his plans always got stopped, but it never led back to him.. meanwhile he was the generally the funder and spokesman for the JLA.

it's never Batman fault...remember that.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 03:59 PM
Mainstream is currently offline Click here to Send Mainstream a Private Message Find more posts by Mainstream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manjaro

Originally posted by Juntai

ah yes that is so true, especially since he could make ppl forget with his mind powers(not to the extent of an advanced telepath, but he would suggest to ppl to forget his involvement) but the whole plan including the OMAC all "officially" started when bruce was just exhonerated for murder, and his girlfriend/bodyguard was recruited by checkmate right at the end of Fugitive series. in fact i wouldnt put it pass them to have it so that it was they,checkmate, who hired cassie's dad to frame him.

Also, if you read Superman: for tommorrow when Zod put a smack down on him(tho supes won in the end) those guys in the shadows who commissioned that mercenary to make the preist into a super soldier that was checkmate too, and you can see how it led into events now when they said that they were going in another direction.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 04:13 PM
manjaro is currently offline Click here to Send manjaro a Private Message Find more posts by manjaro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manjaro

i believe it is bruce's fault. not only should he have learned his lesson from the tower of babel incident, even if he was still paranoid, this is a guy with unlimited resources, he could have had something or his contingency devices stashed at other locations than to be so bold as to create a satellite. that pretentious bastard!!

Old Post Sep 14th, 2005 04:15 PM