KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Okay, who DOESN'T have a magic weakness?

Okay, who DOESN'T have a magic weakness?
Started by: Khellendros

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

Okay, who DOESN'T have a magic weakness?

This was inspired by the thread asking waht Silver Surfer's weakness is. Are there any characters, other than actual mag/wizard/witch types who have a resistance to magic? Majestic comes to mind, he's resisted a decent variety of spells. I beliwve Thor is too. Anyone else out there who's just really hard to effect with magic? Those with magical weapons/armor count, just no spellcasters.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 06:38 AM
Khellendros is currently offline Click here to Send Khellendros a Private Message Find more posts by Khellendros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Piedmon
Saiyajin Quaterback

Juggernaut, or at least classic Juggernaut, I'm pretty sure...

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 06:44 AM
Piedmon is currently offline Click here to Send Piedmon a Private Message Find more posts by Piedmon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Piedmon
Juggernaut, or at least classic Juggernaut, I'm pretty sure...

Really? I thought magic hurt him, he just got better so fast it didn't make a difference in the long run.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 07:03 AM
Khellendros is currently offline Click here to Send Khellendros a Private Message Find more posts by Khellendros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm guessing to have immunity or resistance to magic, you'd have to be magically charmed yourself.

So finding a non magical being who is resistant will be hard.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 07:04 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

Originally posted by long pig
I'm guessing to have immunity or resistance to magic, you'd have to be magically charmed yourself.

So finding a non magical being who is resistant will be hard.

Like I said, magical enhancements and armor are fine, just no true spellcasters

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 07:23 AM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Wonder Woman. Dr. Fate. Green Lantern.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 05:38 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smaxxer

Is Surfer weak against magic ? I could be wrong, but I thought he wasn't. He has just no special protection against it. But it's certainly no "special weakness".

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 05:41 PM
Smaxxer is currently offline Click here to Send Smaxxer a Private Message Find more posts by Smaxxer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

Originally posted by Smaxxer
Is Surfer weak against magic ? I could be wrong, but I thought he wasn't. He has just no special protection against it. But it's certainly no "special weakness".
That's generally true for any character that has a "weakness" to magic.

It's not really a "weakness" per se just, as you said, no special protection against it.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 05:53 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Creshosk
That's generally true for any character that has a "weakness" to magic.

It's not really a "weakness" per se just, as you said, no special protection against it.

This is true smile

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 06:02 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

Originally posted by Draco69
Wonder Woman. Dr. Fate. Green Lantern.

Thanks, though I personally would file Dr. Fate under "spellcaster".

Originally posted by Smaxxer

For the puposes of this thread, magical weakness is defined as anyone who is about as susceptible to magic as a normal completely powerless human.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 06:08 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

What is so special about magic? One would think that it is the most powerful type of force in the MU.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2005 11:33 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

Originally posted by Mindship
What is so special about magic? One would think that it is the most powerful type of force in the MU.

Well, not so much that as spellcasters are just walking plot devices. Pulling a new spell out of their ass whenever the need arises.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2005 06:16 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Strange has never used a spell that wasn't in the Book of Vishanti since it came out in the early 70's.

It's not a plot device, it's just insanely versatile.

The only time he got new spells was when he learned black magic, and he doesn't use that anymore.

Supa-Mayne!

Last edited by long pig on Oct 4th, 2005 at 06:48 AM

Old Post Oct 4th, 2005 06:46 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

My guess is, other types of forces (eg power cosmic) are in some fashion, "science/physics-based," and we understand that, understand and acknowledge (however distantly) laws/limits of science/physics.

Magic, on the other hand (as far as we know) is total fantasy, with no basis in the material world. Therefore, we can run with it, so to speak. It allows a much fuller use of the imagination, no-holds barred, free reign. It's like the difference between science fiction and fantasy; you can get away with a hell of a lot more with the latter.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2005 03:43 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

My guess is, other types of forces (eg power cosmic) are in some fashion, "science/physics-based," and we understand that, understand and acknowledge (however distantly) laws/limits of science/physics.

Magic, on the other hand (as far as we know) is total fantasy, with no basis in the material world. Therefore, we can run with it, so to speak. It allows a much fuller use of the imagination, no-holds barred, free reign. It's like the difference between science fiction and fantasy; you can get away with a hell of a lot more with the latter.

That's the problem with society if you ask me. Everything has to be logical and rational or it can't be 'real'. Being rational and objective isn't always the best way to go.

Magic isn't total fantasy and it does have a basis in this world. Why else do we refer to an iddylic time as 'magical'.

Magic is part of our lives, even if we aren't always aware of it.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 01:13 PM
chilled monkey is currently offline Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

What is so special about magic?

What isn't?

Magic is "the inner nature of the beings that make up the universe- the spiritual part of all things that is cosmic and eternal."

Seems pretty special to me.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 01:16 PM
chilled monkey is currently offline Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snoopdogg
Big Pimpin

Does anybody read Superman/Shazam First Thunder?

It does not driectly say but by reading the comic I get the notion that Captain Marvel is immune to magical attacks.

While they were fighting these two magical beasts one of the shot Superman with a energy attack and it covered Superman in a crystal like substance. The other one shot CM and CM just shrugged it off.

It even surprised Superman that he could take that attack.

"I am not afraid of the dark the dark's afraid of me"

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 11:32 PM
snoopdogg is currently offline Click here to Send snoopdogg a Private Message Find more posts by snoopdogg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

^ Youre right.

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 11:47 PM
jrodslam is currently offline Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

Originally posted by snoopdogg
Does anybody read Superman/Shazam First Thunder?

It does not driectly say but by reading the comic I get the notion that Captain Marvel is immune to magical attacks.

While they were fighting these two magical beasts one of the shot Superman with a energy attack and it covered Superman in a crystal like substance. The other one shot CM and CM just shrugged it off.

It even surprised Superman that he could take that attack.

Yeah, I saw that too. I wonder if there are any other examples of Captain Marvel showing a high resistacne to magic...

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 04:38 AM
Scoobless
sselboocS

Iron Man has shown to hold up well against magical force blasts.... doubt he'd have much resistance against spells though

(please log in to view the image)
(please log in to view the image)

he downs the Giant then takes a full Mjolnir type blast from Loki

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 05:18 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote