KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Seriously though....is there ANYBODY out there that can still debate?

Seriously though....is there ANYBODY out there that can still debate?
Started by: Dark Urizen

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
~The Wickerman~
The Evanghelist

Seriously though....is there ANYBODY out there that can still debate?

I don't mean debate as in three positives and three negatives, or anything technical, i mean a discussion heated as it may be concerning two or more characters in the comic book vs. forum. The only thing i would like to see is logic instead of rabid fanboy-ishness.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f77/t385214.html

There you go. A living testimony to how things work in the comic book vs. forum nowadays.
Can people really be so in love with their favorite characters that they:

1. Cannot accept proof.
2. Accuse you of lying even though you presented said proof in considerable amounts
3. Have no better argument for their hero than "he just kicks his ass"
4. Have the IQ of an amoeba that just had a seizure

???????????????

Seriously though, the place was like this a while ago, but to a much lesser degree. Now it seems to be all around. Some of you may see me "online" in the comic book vs. forum, but i only post in a select few threads because frankly the rest disgust me to no end. And there are actually some interesting battle concepts out there, but it's just not worth the hassle trying to convince people.

Why is it not worth the hassle? Because people act like IMBECILES. Not all, mind you, i don't mean to generalize, but the ones i'm refering to.
Let me put it this way:

If i got into a debate right now with Juntai or GS or Long Pig, or Darkcrawler, or others like them, and i said "it's not worth the hassle", then it would be CLEAR that it's only a cop-out, because those people are capable of carrying well-thought out discussions and they're capable of making threads last, and making them INTERESTING.
With guys like this one in the thread i linked to, it's (as i said in another thread) like trying to convince a 3 year old that his goldfish is dead, even though his underdeveloped brain won't accept it and he'll just stare at it for hours saying "Come on fishy, you're just resting" and won't believe you.

I am incredibly frustrated right now, if for nothing else, at least for being ACCUSED of bringing false proof onto the table, and outright lying, when i have done no such thing. And furthermore, being accused by some......some.........for God's sake, there really isn't even any comparison or adjective that would even come close to describing the level at which the people i'm talking about are at.

Can this be changed? Can something be done about it? I sincerely doubt it.

Excuse me for this rant, but i simply HAD to get it out of my system.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 10:50 PM
~The Wickerman~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~The Wickerman~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~The Wickerman~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucid Lui
Air Laki Laki

It happens everywhere. Forums go through cycles. This is a cycle of crap. Eventually there'll be a surge in thought out, interesting and great debates. Then there'll be a surge of complete crap or mediocre debates.

Just got to hope there's a few hidden gems mixed in with all the re-hashes and crap.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Verily.
| www.lucidlui.com | Aquaman Respect Thread |

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 11:26 PM
Lucid Lui is currently offline Click here to Send Lucid Lui a Private Message Find more posts by Lucid Lui Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

yup.... you just get sick of the constant fanboy comments.... then when a decent thread with a decent and semi-original concept does come up, Golem and co create so many spam threads that it gets pushed straight to the second page and is forgotten about

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 11:39 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Seriously though....is there ANYBODY out there that can still debate?

sad
quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dark Urizen
I don't mean debate as in three positives and three negatives, or anything technical, i mean a discussion heated as it may be concerning two or more characters in the comic book vs. forum. The only thing i would like to see is logic instead of rabid fanboy-ishness.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f77/t385214.html

There you go. A living testimony to how things work in the comic book vs. forum nowadays.
Can people really be so in love with their favorite characters that they:

1. Cannot accept proof.
2. Accuse you of lying even though you presented said proof in considerable amounts
3. Have no better argument for their hero than "he just kicks his ass"
4. Have the IQ of an amoeba that just had a seizure

???????????????

Seriously though, the place was like this a while ago, but to a much lesser degree. Now it seems to be all around. Some of you may see me "online" in the comic book vs. forum, but i only post in a select few threads because frankly the rest disgust me to no end. And there are actually some interesting battle concepts out there, but it's just not worth the hassle trying to convince people.

Why is it not worth the hassle? Because people act like IMBECILES. Not all, mind you, i don't mean to generalize, but the ones i'm refering to.
Let me put it this way:

If i got into a debate right now with Juntai or GS or Long Pig, or Darkcrawler, or others like them, and i said "it's not worth the hassle", then it would be CLEAR that it's only a cop-out, because those people are capable of carrying well-thought out discussions and they're capable of making threads last, and making them INTERESTING.
With guys like this one in the thread i linked to, it's (as i said in another thread) like trying to convince a 3 year old that his goldfish is dead, even though his underdeveloped brain won't accept it and he'll just stare at it for hours saying "Come on fishy, you're just resting" and won't believe you.

I am incredibly frustrated right now, if for nothing else, at least for being ACCUSED of bringing false proof onto the table, and outright lying, when i have done no such thing. And furthermore, being accused by some......some.........for God's sake, there really isn't even any comparison or adjective that would even come close to describing the level at which the people i'm talking about are at.

Can this be changed? Can something be done about it? I sincerely doubt it.

Excuse me for this rant, but i simply HAD to get it out of my system.

The place is beyond repair .... Just prevent them from ****ing up this place !

Certain members who have already been mentioned, shouldn't be aloud to create threads on this part of the forum, IMO !

A bit elitist i know, sad sad

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 11:43 PM
R.O.T. Yahman is currently offline Click here to Send R.O.T. Yahman a Private Message Find more posts by R.O.T. Yahman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Seriously though....is there ANYBODY out there that can still debate?

Originally posted by Fishy 500
sad

The place is beyond repair .... Just prevent them from ****ing up this place !

Certain members who have already been mentioned, shouldn't be aloud to create threads on this part of the forum, IMO !

A bit elitist i know, sad sad

I think the answer is being selective, I was accused of bringing false evidence to the table today when I quoted Verbatum from the handbook no smile

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 11:52 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Any member who has been here long enough can point to at least 2-3 GREAT debates they've been in...and a lot of mindless ones. This site is great for comic info and occasionally good debates, but it's an unfortunate truth that one can't expect great battle-debates terribly often.

Just treasure the important stuff you get out of it...and ignore the rest. And fight the fanboy-ism if you must, but everyone succumbs to despair every now and then, so don't feel too bad.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2006 11:59 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Any member who has been here long enough can point to at least 2-3 GREAT debates they've been in...and a lot of mindless ones. This site is great for comic info and occasionally good debates, but it's an unfortunate truth that one can't expect great battle-debates terribly often.

Just treasure the important stuff you get out of it...and ignore the rest. And fight the fanboy-ism if you must, but everyone succumbs to despair every now and then, so don't feel too bad.

and in truth most of us have an element of fanboy in us.....

Is it a bird?

Is it a plane?

No it's Whirlysplat (Up, Up and away!)

smile

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 12:07 AM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

^^ Right. We're all fanboys. It's how we decide to defer to logic (most of the time) that separates us from the worse-case scenarios.

I was guilty early in my KMC career too. And I'm still overly forgiving to Spidey (among others) when I debate for him....hehe.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 12:13 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Not so much in the comic threads but more in the general forum, I've noticed this trend: you go through the effort of presenting an intelligent point of view (well, at least I think I'm being intelligent embarrasment ), then expecting a reasonably intelligent response...and I get nothing. The posts that follow read as if I had posted nothing at all (h'mm, did I just set myself up...?)

In all fairness, I think the following has to be taken into consideration, and I mean no offense by the following, but the fact is, we have a fairly wide age range here in the forum (most being under 20), and people are generally gonna "debate" with what they can grasp and on a level commensurate with their general (physical and/or mental) age and with people of like age/interests.

I know that sometimes the stuff I post can be very technical/wordy/cerebral, and if no one responds to it the way I would like, I don't necessarily see it as their being rude or stupid. Perhaps at times debates would ensue if I, personally, used plain English more.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 12:14 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
olympian

Now, now. None of you can complain. I havent been around for some time. miffed devil

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 12:15 AM
olympian is currently offline Click here to Send olympian a Private Message Find more posts by olympian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

^^ Right. We're all fanboys. It's how we decide to defer to logic (most of the time) that separates us from the worse-case scenarios.

I was guilty early in my KMC career too. And I'm still overly forgiving to Spidey (among others) when I debate for him....hehe.

I just can't help it when it's big blue, He beats everyone in my book he is SUPERman to me not superMAN.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 12:15 AM
Scoobless
sselboocS

but that's ok as Spidey can't actually ever lose though.... yes

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 12:16 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Mindship
In all fairness, I think the following has to be taken into consideration, and I mean no offense by the following, but the fact is, we have a fairly wide age range here in the forum (most being under 20), and people are generally gonna "debate" with what they can grasp and on a level commensurate with their general (physical and/or mental) age and with people of like age/interests.

I know that sometimes the stuff I post can be very technical/wordy/cerebral, and if no one responds to it the way I would like, I don't necessarily see it as their being rude or stupid. Perhaps at times debates would ensue if I, personally, used plain English more.

Agreed. Sometimes I feel intellectually over my head (usually not in comics but in other forums that are a bit deeper), sometimes I feel as though I'm talking with peers. And other times I feel like I'm babysitting *coughvsforumcough* but there's a wide range.

quote:
but that's ok as Spidey can't actually ever lose though....

Damn straight! Finally, someone who understands. smile

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 12:22 AM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Agreed. Sometimes I feel intellectually over my head (usually not in comics but in other forums that are a bit deeper), sometimes I feel as though I'm talking with peers. And other times I feel like I'm babysitting *coughvsforumcough* but there's a wide range.

Some older individuals can be difficult at times angel

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 12:24 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

^^ Indeed.

Speaking of good debating...

Not sure how long you've been around DU, but they're starting a new tourney over in the vs. forum. There's always great debates in those matches....and they rarely get into fanboyism and shouting matches (though sometimes the early rounds succumb to that occasionally). Ever since I was in a tourney almost a year ago they've been my favorite part of the vs. forum...and help us remember how to actually debate and counter-debate points made by an opposition.

-DM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 12:32 AM
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

^^ Indeed.

Speaking of good debating...

Not sure how long you've been around DU, but they're starting a new tourney over in the vs. forum. There's always great debates in those matches....and they rarely get into fanboyism and shouting matches (though sometimes the early rounds succumb to that occasionally). Ever since I was in a tourney almost a year ago they've been my favorite part of the vs. forum...and help us remember how to actually debate and counter-debate points made by an opposition.

-DM

DU was Wickerman Digi, He's been around some time!

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 12:35 AM
Magee

It's funny I been around here for a few years now and tbh it wasn't until the vs forum was made that all these "fanboys" started popping up. I choose to believe that most of them put on an act as I cant see how someone could actually be that dimwitted. The trend was really started by one member imo, a certain user who's love for wolverine was beyond reason, after him it just seemed like some sort of popular trend blink

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 02:48 AM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

"SNIKT"

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 02:51 AM
demigawd
Board Scientist

That's why I usually spend my time on the cosmic threads. You can't be an immature fanboy and survive on those, so they usually stay out of those threads.

Then again, they're sometimes prone to being taken over by ridiculous bickering wars between Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumbass...we know who they are. big grin

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 05:15 AM
demigawd is currently offline Click here to Send demigawd a Private Message Find more posts by demigawd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Yeah, the vs. forums in general are the most loathed by the Mod community. There's good stuff in them, but about 50% of our problems come from the 3 vs. forums out of a total of...well, I don't know the exact number, but it's lots more than 3.

I stand by the assertion that there's plenty to be gained from them (for one, I understand power levels in comics infinitely better than when I first got here which makes them easier to read) but they naturally lead to more mean-spirited debates than other forums, which can obviously escalate into other problems.

{Edit} Good point demi. There's probably some sort of fanboy curve that's horribly skewed toward street level. LOL

Old Post Jan 6th, 2006 05:18 AM