KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » IMO characters are too powerful.

IMO characters are too powerful.
Started by: Uberking Robert

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Uberking Robert
Restricted

Account Restricted

IMO characters are too powerful.

I know that DC fans think Marvel sucks because it has less powerful characters, but IMO it's a plus. I mean, if Superman can move the moon whenever he wants then it's not that impressive, because it's not out of the ordinary. In Marvel feats like moving a train or battleship are actually real demonstrations of power and I believe that's best. This way those feats are actually impressive. I mean, does anybody really bother to think about how much a train weighs? Like hundreds of thousands of tons? And the characters in Marvel do DC level feats sometimes. Often enough that you know they can if they have to, yet rare enough that if you see them do it you're like "Wow! Holy moley! Thor just lifted the Midgard Serpent!!!", whereas whenever Superman moves the moon folks are like "Yeah, Superman moves the moon...again. *yawn*". Discuss.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 11:47 PM
Uberking Robert is currently offline Click here to Send Uberking Robert a Private Message Find more posts by Uberking Robert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

DC has the tendency to just jump the gun on things and make it nuts like that. Superman especially does this all the time. His power shifts up and down all the time. Apparently he can punch through the fabric of time, but Metallo is a fight for him? Makes no sense.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 11:49 PM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

IMO they aren't powerful enough. I never liked the 80s/90s idea of depowering superheroes. I prefer to see the epic clash of godlike beings.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 11:52 PM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Oh please. Thor has hammer that can sprout anti-matter. The Thunderbolts have a character that has his own micro-verse.

Marvel is full of cosmic beings with unpronouncible names. You have to do better than quoting Superman because Marvel now has a being with the "power of million exploding suns" who can do anything.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2006 11:58 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

I don't like uber-powerful characters.

That's why I never read about cosmics. smile

Best to just ignore them.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 12:53 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disappear

wasn't that "power of a million suns" or whatever the same modifier once tacked onto hal jordan?

the fact is, DC has a much higher ratio of "uber-powerful" characters in their spotlights, whereas marvel's power levels are more toned down on the whole.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 01:31 AM
Disappear is currently offline Click here to Send Disappear a Private Message Find more posts by Disappear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Re: IMO characters are too powerful.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Uberking Robert
I mean, does anybody really bother to think about how much a train weighs? Like hundreds of thousands of tons?

not until someone posted this pic and claimed that it was beyond Spider-Man's abilities:

(please log in to view the image)

after that we did some research and discovered that most modern traincars weigh around 6 tons

obviously the engine car would weigh more.... but overall it would still be significantly less than "hundreds of thousands of tons" a hundred tons might be pushing it (depending on the length and type of train.... a freight train would undoubtedly way a lot more than a passenger train)

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 04:00 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Uberking Robert
Restricted

Account Restricted

That thing Spiderman is lifting is just a subway from the looks of it. An actual train (a freight that has dozens of cars) does weigh 1,000's of tons. Spider-Man could never lift that much.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 04:46 AM
Uberking Robert is currently offline Click here to Send Uberking Robert a Private Message Find more posts by Uberking Robert Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King KAM

Originally posted by Uberking Robert
That thing Spiderman is lifting is just a subway from the looks of it. An actual train (a freight that has dozens of cars) does weigh 1,000's of tons. Spider-Man could never lift that much.
he can lift 25tons...im pretty sure that was in his range

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 05:28 AM
King KAM is currently offline Click here to Send King KAM a Private Message Find more posts by King KAM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psycho Ninja
Holy Vigilante

You think DC is too uber.......

Look Surfer, Thor, SENTRY, GENIS !!!

PSYCHO !!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 07:09 AM
Psycho Ninja is currently offline Click here to Send Psycho Ninja a Private Message Find more posts by Psycho Ninja Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fonzie
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think it's somewhat even when it comes to uberly-powerful characters on both sides....DC has Superman, CM, all the Green Lanterns, etc etc.....Marvel has the Sentry, Genis, all the Heralds, etc etc.....DC's average character is just alot stronger than Marvels.....for example....you compare DC's most popular: Superman, to Marvel's most popular: Spiderman.....that's not even a fair comparison....

Aaaaayyyyyyyeeeeee!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 07:13 AM
Fonzie is currently offline Click here to Send Fonzie a Private Message Find more posts by Fonzie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psycho Ninja
Holy Vigilante

Lets put it this....

A&W: DC
McDonalds: Marvel

A&W is more famous for its root beer float....
But it doesnt mean that McDonalds doesnt sell any root beer float.....

(I dont know if a McD in your area sells it or not, but the one near me does)

PSYCHO !!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 07:22 AM
Psycho Ninja is currently offline Click here to Send Psycho Ninja a Private Message Find more posts by Psycho Ninja Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I actually like the premise of "The adventures of god".

Uber Characters are fun, especially when they have a very, very normal weakness.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 07:23 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disappear

****. i'm getting jipped by my local mcdonalds.

why the **** does spider-man's strength keep going up? two years ago it's ten tons, then i hear it got boosted to 15, and now i'm hearing 25? what is this bullshit?

and i only curse because i know it gets censored...

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 09:13 AM
Disappear is currently offline Click here to Send Disappear a Private Message Find more posts by Disappear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sparkz

I think its more to do with DC's most popular characters are at god like status, marvels most popular characters are just above normal level status, so thats how people look at it.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 11:21 AM
Sparkz is currently offline Click here to Send Sparkz a Private Message Find more posts by Sparkz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Originally posted by Psycho Ninja

it's not really about the most powerful characters.... it's that DC's main characters are all majorly powered (except Batman):

Superman
Green Lantern(s)
Wonder Woman
Flash

even a lot of the second stringers are majorly powerful:

Captain Marvel
Captain Atom
Firestorm
Superboy

Marvel's main characters are mainly street level:

Spider-Man
Wolverine
Captain America
DareDevil

they do have the majorly powered guys:

Thor
Sentry
Surfer
Genis

but they don't have nearly as much coverage as Superman, Green Lantern & co

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 12:55 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by Scoobless
it's not really about the most powerful characters.... it's that DC's main characters are all majorly powered (except Batman):

Superman
Green Lantern(s)
Wonder Woman
Flash

Captain Marvel
Captain Atom
Firestorm
Superboy

Spider-Man
Wolverine
Captain America
DareDevil

Thor
Sentry
Surfer
Genis

But that's just what people buy. DC have comics about COPS in Gotham, who feat Batman's enemies! It's the fans that wave the spotlight around.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 02:33 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The Ion
IMO they aren't powerful enough. I never liked the 80s/90s idea of depowering superheroes. I prefer to see the epic clash of godlike beings.

Agreed .... I my opinion its still impressive every time ....

This is just another marvel fan trying to justify marvels low showings !

I would enjoy marvel more if there more definitive demonstrations of power .... marvel feats tend to be very ambiguous , i mean how much does a giant snake weigh .... how much energy is needed to punch through a dimension ? , apparently its impossible to hold two orbs of anti matter ? confused

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 03:36 PM
R.O.T. Yahman is currently offline Click here to Send R.O.T. Yahman a Private Message Find more posts by R.O.T. Yahman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Psycho Ninja

Sentry and Gennis yes !!!!!!!! the other two are very inconsistent .... Thor gets beaten up by trolls !!!!!!!!!! smile

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 03:39 PM
R.O.T. Yahman is currently offline Click here to Send R.O.T. Yahman a Private Message Find more posts by R.O.T. Yahman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scoobless

Superman
Green Lantern(s)
Wonder Woman
Flash

Captain Marvel
Captain Atom
Firestorm
Superboy

Spider-Man
Wolverine
Captain Americ.
DareDevil

Thor
Sentry
Surfer
Genis

D.C. don't really have what you all semi cosmic characters i.e. Marvels Surfer to the Cubes. Therefore their higher tier characters are seen fighting beings who are on marvels untoucahble level !!!!!!!!!!! I.e. like celestials and Galactus . IMO they shouldn't really have a chance against such characters, but they often hold up well .... This becasue they dont have as many mid Cosmic characters like Thanos and co !

Old Post Jan 14th, 2006 03:42 PM