KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Can Someone recomend some non Marvel/D.C. trades !!!!!!

Can Someone recomend some non Marvel/D.C. trades !!!!!!
Started by: R.O.T. Yahman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Can Someone recomend some non Marvel/D.C. trades !!!!!!

HAs anyone read the following, if so are they worth departing with booze money over ? Can you recomend Issue numbers and trade titles, aswell as staing where it is possible to purchase them from ?

Allan Moore's Watchman serries
V for Vendetta
The Authority
The Wildcats
Majestic
The invisibles
Preacher
Lucifer
Spawn

Cheers guys !!!!!!!!!

Old Post Jan 24th, 2006 08:38 PM
R.O.T. Yahman is currently offline Click here to Send R.O.T. Yahman a Private Message Find more posts by R.O.T. Yahman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Cheers for nothing stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 02:12 PM
R.O.T. Yahman is currently offline Click here to Send R.O.T. Yahman a Private Message Find more posts by R.O.T. Yahman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

FYI, Vertigo is part of DC, so many of the titles you list are actually DC trades. I haven't read most of the ones on the list, but I understand that Watchmen and V for Vendetta are classics of the genre. I'd probably read Planetary rather than The Authority, if you want to try out Warren Ellis; they're both by him. Many people consider Preacher to be a classic, but I do not; Garth Ennis seems convinced that if he just manages to be offensive enough, his works will magically become funny, but Mr. Reality doesn't seem to agree with him. Get Hitman trades (published by DC, but Preacher is a Vertigo book anyway, so... *shrug*) instead if you want to try him out, or look for back issues of The Demon (Ennis' run, not the awful Blood of the Demon thing). I like Lucifer a lot; it's a sort of sequal to Neil Gaiman's Vertigo series The Sandman, but you don't need a whole lot of background information. Most of the titles on your list are famous, so I should think that you could find them in comic stores. Heck, you can find some of them in Waldenbooks. (Edit: Maybe? I see you live in the UK; I don't know what the comic situation is like over there.)

If you want something that is not merely not published by Marvel and DC, but is completely unlike anything they publish, then you should try reading Tintin or Asterax(sp?) the Gaul, two classic French comics. Good luck finding them in comic stores, though; Amazon is your friend.

Last edited by Gregory on Jan 25th, 2006 at 02:40 PM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 02:35 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manjaro
No-No Place-licky McNicky

if youve never read the authority make sure you read stormwatch first(ellis at his best) it will give a an indepth overview of the entire mythos(not that you would be lost if you started authoirt #1 or anything)

*SECRET NO-NO PLACE* Licking FTW Baby!!!!!!rock rock

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 09:48 PM
manjaro is currently offline Click here to Send manjaro a Private Message Find more posts by manjaro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

quote: (post)
Originally posted by manjaro
if youve never read the authority make sure you read stormwatch first(ellis at his best) it will give a an indepth overview of the entire mythos(not that you would be lost if you started authoirt #1 or anything)

Nah, i've never read Stormwatch but i've read most of the Authority and none of it's hard to understand

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 10:01 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Has anyone read Morisson's the Invisibles ? smile

Old Post Jan 26th, 2006 12:39 AM
Next Venom_girl
Scream

I'd recommend Witchblade, Darkness, and Sin City.

Girls Kick Butt!Respect Venom|Respect Black Canary|Respect Namor|Respect Hellsing|The Official Symbiote Thread&Picture Thread

Old Post Jan 26th, 2006 12:41 AM
Next Venom_girl is currently offline Click here to Send Next Venom_girl a Private Message Find more posts by Next Venom_girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Next Venom_girl
I'd recommend Witchblade, Darkness, and Sin City.

I've never heard of Darkness

Wichblade is hot !!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post Jan 26th, 2006 12:54 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

The top three (Watchmen, V, and Authority) are all solid choices. You'll be collecting the most with Authority though...the other two are limited runs. And Stormwatch isn't really a requisite (it helps and is cool, but certainly isn't needed).

Also Sandman....which is technically in the DC universe, but you'd never know it (aside from a cameo from Martian Manhunter early on). Comic books as art...and graphic novel writing at its best.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2006 01:14 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

I reckon Hitman (a DC title though you wouldn;t know it except for the odd appearance of Batman and the Demon Etrigan/ Jason Blood) is very cool. I've read the 1st 1 and, yeah, way cool!

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Jan 28th, 2006 02:24 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

The Red Star.
One of the best comics you'll find anywhere.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Jan 28th, 2006 02:28 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Knightfall93
I reckon Hitman (a DC title though you wouldn;t know it except for the odd appearance of Batman and the Demon Etrigan/ Jason Blood) is very cool. I've read the 1st 1 and, yeah, way cool!

And Lobo...right?

Anyways, also DC but great anyways: Hellblazer.

And the other stuff by Alan Moore is supposed to be pretty good too (League of Extraordinary Gentleman, From Hell)

Personally I only read V for Vendetta and Watchmen.....I believe there is a new V for Vendetta collection thanks to the upcoming movie though.

Last edited by Bardock42 on Jan 28th, 2006 at 02:47 PM

Old Post Jan 28th, 2006 02:44 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

quote:
League of Extraordinary Gentleman

Read the first, skip the sequal.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2006 02:51 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Juntai
The Red Star.
One of the best comics you'll find anywhere.

What is it about ? smile

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2006 01:29 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2006 01:35 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Looks good .... cheers mate ! smile

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2006 01:42 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
Looks good .... cheers mate ! smile
Also, off of that site, I ordered the Assassin issues [which they apperently stopped making after issue 0 and 1,] and they sent them to me autographed.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2006 02:34 PM
R.O.T. Yahman
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Juntai
Also, off of that site, I ordered the Assassin issues [which they apperently stopped making after issue 0 and 1,] and they sent them to me autographed.

cool

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2006 02:36 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

"Rising Stars" excellent 20 something issue miniseries, with a few spinoffs, and prequals

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2006 10:09 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

anyothers, Im interested as well....

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Feb 5th, 2006 03:40 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote