KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Frank Miller's 300

Frank Miller's 300
Started by: SnakeEyes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Frank Miller's 300

I just started to read 300 (by Frank Miller) last night and I think it's great. Has anyone else read this? It's about the 300 Spartans who fended off the Persians while defending Greece. They're also making a movie about it.

Discuss.

smokin'

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 05:56 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Comic or novel or what?

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 05:58 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

It's a graphic novel.

It's sort of a weird shape, too. It's height is the same as a normal graphic novel, but it's twice as wide.

Oh and it's hardcover as well.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 06:04 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Weird... 'll loook into it...

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 07:00 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
olympian

One of the best novels ive ever read. Best artwork Miller ever did together with sin city also.

I higly recommend it.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2006 07:48 PM
olympian is currently offline Click here to Send olympian a Private Message Find more posts by olympian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K Von Doom
Second fiddle

I read it when they first released it in regular comic size. Pretty good stuff.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2006 12:17 AM
K Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send K Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by K Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucid Lui
Air Laki Laki

Yeah, i read it in regular size aswell. Really loved the art.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Verily.
| www.lucidlui.com | Aquaman Respect Thread |

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2006 12:23 AM
Lucid Lui is currently offline Click here to Send Lucid Lui a Private Message Find more posts by Lucid Lui Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Just finished it today. I thought it was pretty awesome. Didn't like Xerxes, though! Anyone else read it?

Old Post Apr 4th, 2006 01:18 AM
Thunderstrike
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'd like to sometime. Can you give a plot synopsis and scans, SnakeEyes?

My sigs. | Slade Explained| Respect Beta Ray |Respect Thor | Sheer idiocy

Old Post Apr 4th, 2006 01:19 AM
Thunderstrike is currently offline Click here to Send Thunderstrike a Private Message Find more posts by Thunderstrike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

Battle of Thermopoli! Thats a bad ass fight no matter what book I read about it in or hear about it just insane.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2006 02:20 AM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Thunderstrike
I'd like to sometime. Can you give a plot synopsis and scans, SnakeEyes?

"300 is a graphic novel, written and illustrated by Frank Miller with painted colors by Lynn Varley. It depicts the Battle of Thermopylae and the events leading up to it from the perspective of Leonidas, king of Sparta. The comic was particularly inspired by the 1962 film The 300 Spartans, a movie that Miller watched as a young boy.

Every page of the comic was illustrated as a double-page spread. When the series was collected into hardcover form, the individual pages were twice as wide as a normal comic. Miller's art style for this project was not too dissimilar from that of his Sin City work, although the addition of color is an obvious difference."

Sorry, I can't provide scans... I have no scanner.

Attachment: 300_comic.jpg
This has been downloaded 64 time(s).

Old Post Apr 4th, 2006 02:43 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

If you enjoyed 300 - and who wouldn't - a companion piece to read is the novel Gates Of Fire, by Steven Pressfield. It has a bit wider focus, of the history before and after the Battle of Thermopylae. It was going to be a competing film project, but 300 has won the race to shoot and be released first.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Apr 4th, 2006 03:28 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

I actually started reading Gates of Fire before I read 300, but 300 took me only a couple days to read, as opposed to Gates of Fire. I'm about halfway through the book though and it's really good.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2006 04:36 AM
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

BUMP

Old Post Apr 6th, 2006 05:27 AM
Etrigan
?

Heard about it. Not read, but it sounds pretty good. Lynn Varley and Frank Miller make a good team, as DKR proved.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2006 02:06 PM
Etrigan is currently offline Click here to Send Etrigan a Private Message Find more posts by Etrigan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

I'm not sure if a movie is such a good idea, though.

The graphic novel was pretty cool, but it didn't have nearly enough substance to create a film....

Old Post Apr 20th, 2006 11:49 PM
Soleran
Fast As Time

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I actually started reading Gates of Fire before I read 300, but 300 took me only a couple days to read, as opposed to Gates of Fire. I'm about halfway through the book though and it's really good.

Gates of Fire is the book I read several years ago its a great book! Spartans were insane when they trained every single part of the military. In my opinion you won't be disappointed with the Book Gates of Fire, I enjoyed it.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2006 02:11 AM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote