KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Mutant Collars

Mutant Collars
Started by: Rick/Genis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Blight
Less than Newbie

Mutant Collars

I have been recently rewatching the 90's television series of "X-Men" and came across an episode that hadn't gotten me to thinking until recently.

It was an episode where Gambit, Storm and Jubilee go to Genosha and have collars placed on them that inhibit their Mutant Abilities.

Don't some mutants only have a purely physical mutant ability, like Angel? So what would happen if you put it on him? Would his wings rot off?

Not to mention someone like wolverine who is OBVIOUSLY too old for his own good. Once you stunt his mutant abilities will he turn into a shriveled old man? Or Apocalypse... would he just die immediately? I could understand wolverine surviving... but yeah... hmm.

And What does Mystique REALLY look like? Is that blue really her? Because in the cartoon it must be.. but the cartoon isn't canon.

Hmmm...

-_-

Old Post May 2nd, 2006 05:45 PM
Blight is currently offline Click here to Send Blight a Private Message Find more posts by Blight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rick/Genis
It was an episode where Gambit, Storm and Jubilee go to Genosha and have collars placed on them that inhibit their Mutant Abilities.

I always wondered why the X-People never tried to develop that technology themselves to help out people like Rogue and Cyclops.... they could build in an "on/off" switch into it ... maybe redesign it into a wristwatch style doohicky and voila Rogue would be able to live a normal life with the ability to touch others and Cyclops wouldn't always have to wear shades

I'm sure it would also be a lifesaver for various other mutants

Do you even KMC???

Old Post May 2nd, 2006 06:12 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Citizen V.

Originally posted by Scoobless
I always wondered why the X-People never tried to develop that technology themselves to help out people like Rogue and Cyclops.... they could build in an "on/off" switch into it ... maybe redesign it into a wristwatch style doohicky and voila Rogue would be able to live a normal life with the ability to touch others and Cyclops wouldn't always have to wear shades

You fool! without the shades Scott is nothing! nothing!!!!!!!!! mad mad mad

Old Post May 2nd, 2006 06:16 PM
Citizen V. is currently offline Click here to Send Citizen V. a Private Message Find more posts by Citizen V. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spideys Sister
Official Spidey Fangirl

Maybe it's a genetic supressior collar. Maybe it only works for the geneticly enhanced mutants.

Old Post May 2nd, 2006 09:20 PM
Spideys Sister is currently offline Click here to Send Spideys Sister a Private Message Find more posts by Spideys Sister Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Pmub

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 07:48 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

what? confused

Old Post Jul 27th, 2006 11:47 AM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules
The doctor

Wolverine has had his healing factor taken away twice and he still looked the same

Old Post Jul 27th, 2006 12:30 PM
steverules is currently offline Click here to Send steverules a Private Message Find more posts by steverules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aton_ra
Money on my mind

Originally posted by Mr.V
You fool! without the shades Scott is nothing! nothing!!!!!!!!! mad mad mad

Your right with it he's a dork and Emma's boytoy (because she's the only one he can have sex with, without his glasses).

Old Post Jul 27th, 2006 01:12 PM
aton_ra is currently offline Click here to Send aton_ra a Private Message Find more posts by aton_ra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Originally posted by aton_ra
Your right with it he's a dork and Emma's boytoy (because she's the only one he can have sex with, without his glasses).
Right... sad

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Jul 27th, 2006 02:21 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

wow

i had honestly never even thought of that but ya.... WTF?

seems so obvious now...

Old Post Jul 27th, 2006 02:40 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheKahn
The Dude abides

I think it is because if they did that it would take away the "tragedy/curse" nature of some character's mutation. A significant part of Rogue's and Cyke's personality centers around how they cope with their mutant powers and the isolation it has caused them. Also negative mutations help the readers connect to some degree with certain characters and makes them more sympathetic, imo.

Overall, I think its just an editorial choice made by Marvel because as you pointed out the technology certainly has been established to exist in the X-Men universe and it would be relatively easy for certain characters to adapt it to the X-Men's needs (Forge, Beast, Reed Richards, Tony Stark, etc).

Carl - "No, the real point is: I don't give a damn."

Carl - "This line, here? Line of Death. You cross it, and your freedoms no longer exist. Um-kay? Have a good day."

Old Post Jul 27th, 2006 02:58 PM
TheKahn is currently offline Click here to Send TheKahn a Private Message Find more posts by TheKahn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheMercurial
Unmythical mortal

Re: Mutant Collars

Originally posted by Rick/Genis
I have been recently rewatching the 90's television series of "X-Men" and came across an episode that hadn't gotten me to thinking until recently.

Don't some mutants only have a purely physical mutant ability, like Angel? So what would happen if you put it on him? Would his wings rot off?

Not to mention someone like wolverine who is OBVIOUSLY too old for his own good. Once you stunt his mutant abilities will he turn into a shriveled old man? Or Apocalypse... would he just die immediately? I could understand wolverine surviving... but yeah... hmm.

And What does Mystique REALLY look like? Is that blue really her? Because in the cartoon it must be.. but the cartoon isn't canon.

Hmmm...

Prof. X removes the idea from their minds whenever they think of it, because if they supressed their own mutant abilities, it could display that not all the X-men are happy being mutants and would strengthen the idea that mutants are unnatural.
That crazy Chuck.........

"Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Old Post Jul 27th, 2006 03:45 PM
TheMercurial is currently offline Click here to Send TheMercurial a Private Message Find more posts by TheMercurial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blight
Less than Newbie

that actually makes sense.... what a dick!

-_-

Old Post Jul 27th, 2006 04:57 PM
Blight is currently offline Click here to Send Blight a Private Message Find more posts by Blight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote