KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Pound for pound

Pound for pound
Started by: Scoobless

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scoobless
sselboocS

Pound for pound

Someone mentioned in another thread that Thor may be the strongest Hero on Marvel Earth pound for pound as the Hulk weighs more than twice as much as he does

So..... out of only hero's born on Marvel Earth, who is, pound for pound, the strongest... not Including Hulk (due to the whole impossible "unlimited strength" garbage)

I'd like to submit Ant-Man and Yellow Jacket for consideration:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Scoobless
Ant Man can reduce his height from 6ft to around half an inch (1.2 cm....ish) while keeping his 6ft strength level

http://www.marveldirectory.com/indi.../a/antmanii.htm

Now Ant Man (and Yellow Jacket) are fairly fit and strong guys who exercise regularly... let's say Hank Pym can press 250lbs in the gym

As he's reducing his height by a factor of 150 his mass will be reduced by an even greater factor (as he's light enough to fly on an ant's back)

"suppose we scale up an ant by a factor of 1000. This increases the ant's length from 1/8 inch to about 10.5 feet It increases the strength of the ant's legs by a factor of 1000 squared, or 1 million. This sounds very reassuring until we look at the ant's increase in mass and weight.Each segment of the ant's body is roughly similar to a sphere whose weight is proportional to its volume given by the equation:
V = (4/3)pr3

With constant density, the weight therefore increases with the cube of the scaling factor. Hence, weight increases by a factor of 1000 cubed, or 1 billion."

http://intuitor.com/moviephysics/mpmain.html

now scaling down would make the inverse of this true (i think) ... So Lang's mass would reduce by a factor of 150 cubed, or 3,375,000... taking him from 190lbs to 0.0000563 lbs

At this weight and his 250lbs pressing strength i believe this puts him at the top of the pound for pound strength category as he would be capable of lifting 4,440,497.336 times his own body weight

If he were capable of that feat at his 6ft stature he would be lifting 843,694,493.84 lbs, or 421,005.236 tons (taking one ton to be 2004 lbs)

Do you even KMC???

Old Post May 4th, 2006 10:17 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putar
Battle Juggerpope!

holy hemroids batman! That is alot!

Old Post May 4th, 2006 10:23 PM
Putar is currently offline Click here to Send Putar a Private Message Find more posts by Putar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

I thought Antman still keeps his weight as well, since I remember reading an issue where he was the size of an ant he jumped on a guys shoulder knocking him out.

Old Post May 4th, 2006 10:25 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

But he flys around on top of insects.... and even his daughter could carry him around

Do you even KMC???

Old Post May 4th, 2006 10:27 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
littleredhat

Has anyone ever explained exactly what "the proportioate strength of a spider" means?

In math?

Old Post May 5th, 2006 12:00 AM
littleredhat is currently offline Click here to Send littleredhat a Private Message Find more posts by littleredhat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Originally posted by littleredhat
Has anyone ever explained exactly what "the proportioate strength of a spider" means?

In math?

Hmmm..... hadn't really thought about it.... i'll do it later

Do you even KMC???

Old Post May 5th, 2006 12:17 AM
Scoobless
sselboocS

"a spider can produce a total force of about 0.025 Newtons, which means it could carry 173 times its own body weight"

http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/8/4/9/1

(please log in to view the image)

According to his bio, Spider-Man weighs 170lbs

170 x 173 = 29,410lbs .... roughly 15 tons

Do you even KMC???

Old Post May 5th, 2006 12:38 AM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

"a spider can produce a total force of about 0.025 Newtons, which means it could carry 173 times its own body weight"

Niiice.

Old Post May 5th, 2006 12:40 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr.Biscuits

Wow!!!!!! Scoob you're pretty smart............stick out tongue

Old Post May 5th, 2006 12:55 AM
Mr.Biscuits is currently offline Click here to Send Mr.Biscuits a Private Message Find more posts by Mr.Biscuits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Hmm, what can carry more a ant or a spider?

Old Post May 5th, 2006 12:57 AM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

But he flys around on top of insects.... and even his daughter could carry him around

I was right, he did knock out a security guard by jumping on him. So he most likely can control his weight.

Old Post May 5th, 2006 01:12 AM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

If we are talking about earth heroes, not any gods comic characters bullsh*t or anything, then I'll go with the one, the only, Superman. The guy weighs 230 or there abouts, and holds f*ckin' BLACK HOLES in the palms of his hands. Happy Dance

Old Post May 5th, 2006 01:20 AM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disappear

how old was that issue, mung?

Old Post May 5th, 2006 04:24 AM
Disappear is currently offline Click here to Send Disappear a Private Message Find more posts by Disappear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by batdude123
If we are talking about earth heroes, not any gods comic characters bullsh*t or anything, then I'll go with the one, the only, Superman. The guy weighs 230 or there abouts, and holds f*ckin' BLACK HOLES in the palms of his hands. Happy Dance

let me direct you to the opening statements

quote:
So..... out of only hero's born on Marvel Earth, who is, pound for pound, the strongest... not Including Hulk (due to the whole impossible "unlimited strength" garbage)

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post May 5th, 2006 05:44 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Originally posted by Disappear
how old was that issue, mung?

Couple years it was with Ant Man II. When I get home from work I will try to get the issue number.

Old Post May 5th, 2006 10:58 AM
King KAM

i gotta go with majestic

Old Post May 5th, 2006 11:19 AM
King KAM is currently offline Click here to Send King KAM a Private Message Find more posts by King KAM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Hyperion

Old Post May 5th, 2006 11:27 AM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King KAM

Originally posted by grey fox
Hyperion
i think majestic can outlift hyperion.....

Old Post May 5th, 2006 11:41 AM
King KAM is currently offline Click here to Send King KAM a Private Message Find more posts by King KAM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by King KAM
i think majestic can outlift hyperion.....
Majestic isn't a Marvel Earth character. Unless you're thinking of a different Majestic.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post May 5th, 2006 12:26 PM
Juntai is online now! Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
littleredhat

Thanks for the Spider-man info. Its good to see a characters strength actually make sense. big grin

Old Post May 5th, 2006 03:48 PM
littleredhat is currently offline Click here to Send littleredhat a Private Message Find more posts by littleredhat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote