KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Where Can I Go To Publish A Comic Book??????????????

Where Can I Go To Publish A Comic Book??????????????
Started by: The Prophecy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Prophecy
The One Above all

Question Where Can I Go To Publish A Comic Book??????????????

Just Wondering cause I have this incredible comic book idea????

Old Post Oct 10th, 2006 11:15 PM
The Prophecy is currently offline Click here to Send The Prophecy a Private Message Find more posts by The Prophecy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

join the club no expression

first you have to write the comic, then you have to do tons of editing and whatnot.

Then you have to pitch your script to a company.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2006 11:16 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Prophecy
The One Above all

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Grimm22
join the club no expression

first you have to write the comic, then you have to do tons of editing and whatnot.

Then you have to pitch your script to a company.

what about the character and everything else

Old Post Oct 10th, 2006 11:28 PM
The Prophecy is currently offline Click here to Send The Prophecy a Private Message Find more posts by The Prophecy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UniOmni
Outrageously Dickish

Or you can go the hard route and try to create your own comic company.

You'd have control, and wouldn't have to watch your character be thrown to politics and popularity contests.

Do you live in the New England area??

Old Post Oct 10th, 2006 11:33 PM
UniOmni is currently offline Click here to Send UniOmni a Private Message Find more posts by UniOmni Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

If you're asking on a discussion board with 15 questions marks after your question, chances are you're not going to get your comic anywhere near published, and are just one among many (see: thousands) of others with "great" ideas for comics, with not enough talent and/or inside connections to get into the business.

Sorry to be harsh, but I'm just trying to be honest with you.

Regardless, I hope you prove me wrong, and good luck.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2006 11:39 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by The Prophecy

It's not going to happen. Sorry.

Go find a real job. It'll help. smile

Old Post Oct 10th, 2006 11:41 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grinning Goku

Originally posted by H. S. 6
It's not going to happen. Sorry.

Go find a real job. It'll help. smile

Reality bites don't it?

PSN handle: B_B_Kang

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 02:04 AM
Grinning Goku is currently offline Click here to Send Grinning Goku a Private Message Find more posts by Grinning Goku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marvelprince
Illuminati Founder

Ouch guys. Way to kill someones dream. I'm all about being realistic but telling someone they won't make it is way past harsh.

Anyway, Grimm basically got it right about beaking in. WHat I would suggest would be to try to get into Image. They allow you to retain the rights to your work, and if you manage to get in there and establish a popular enough following you can try to break into one of the big two companies.

Be prepared for lots of work though, tons of rewrites, etc. Contrary to popular belief writing comics is not an easy thing

Sig by The Pittman

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 02:39 AM
marvelprince is currently offline Click here to Send marvelprince a Private Message Find more posts by marvelprince Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thedude1948

Work your way up through Hollywood as a writer, and when you start writing for a hit prime-time TV show, then you can pitch your idea to a comic book company. hope this helps....... smile

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 02:42 AM
thedude1948 is currently offline Click here to Send thedude1948 a Private Message Find more posts by thedude1948 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Just because you have a good idea, dosent mean squat no expression

You have to have the writing talent to back it up

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 02:46 AM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

This new guy, PlasticMan411, reported WhatIf and me for this:

Batman versus Superman thread.

Originally posted by What If...
erm

This board is getting more idiots daily.
Originally posted by Badabing
I couldn't agree more. sad
quote:

PlasticMan411 wrote on Oct 10th, 2006 11:22 PM:
I'm sorry Badabing but i had to report yours and what if's.... post to the moderater please do not use that kind of talk AGAIN. both when what if... Called me an idiot and when you agreed with her so i had to report you both.

blink eek! laughing

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 04:42 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

well, as most people have said, its pretty much impossible to do what you are thinking. I'm sure everyone on this board has several ideas that would really make good comics.

However, what marvel or DC or even Image need isnt just an idea. You need to show them that you have talent either as a writer or as an artist. And you have to expect that you wont get to make anything about your own hero under their company for many years, until you have built up enough of a reputation for them to take that kind of a chance.

You can always self publish, but that isnt easy at all, and unless you are doing something groundbreaking it will be a money sink. If all you have is a concept for a book, this is NOT the road to go down.

There is a specific style and structure to the writing and drawing of a comic, learn that, put togeather a portfolio and just get your name out there. Set up a website, do conventions, whatever, it is just fubdamentally important that you offer something tangable to the company it is you want to publish your book.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 05:34 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Re: Where Can I Go To Publish A Comic Book??????????????

Originally posted by The Prophecy
What's the idea, if you don't mind telling?

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 01:15 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Like many before me, let me join the chorus of reality bytes: selling a comic or a comic character to an established company is a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, long shot. That doesn't mean don't try...hey, ya never know. But be prepared. In the meantime, don't quit your day job.

There are books in stores and articles online (I would think) about how to pitch/sell/prep for comic publication. It is a genre with a very specific format for properly submitting material. Familiarize yourself with it. It will increase your chances (ie, you can knock off 2 or 3 "very's" from above).

In the meantime, have a blast, enjoy your creation. Indulge yourself. Even if you never make it bigtime, you can still post/publish online and enjoy -- certainly benefit from -- the comments of readers. I've come across plenty of internet-only famous artists who seem to have a respectable fanbase.

Above all else, just keep this in mind:
It is better to try and fail than fail to try.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 04:33 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Prophecy
The One Above all

Re: Re: Where Can I Go To Publish A Comic Book??????????????

Originally posted by Darth Martin
What's the idea, if you don't mind telling?

It's that whole Angel/demon thing I'm working on I just started and just needed some advice on what I should do how should I do it. Also What to avoid and things like that. The thread is this forum.I would give you more info but I have nothing right now like I said I'm just a beginner.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 11:14 PM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by marvelprince
Ouch guys. Way to kill someones dream. I'm all about being realistic but telling someone they won't make it is way past harsh.

Anyway, Grimm basically got it right about beaking in. WHat I would suggest would be to try to get into Image. They allow you to retain the rights to your work, and if you manage to get in there and establish a popular enough following you can try to break into one of the big two companies.

Be prepared for lots of work though, tons of rewrites, etc. Contrary to popular belief writing comics is not an easy thing

It's the truth. One look at his spelling and grammar is all you really need to see.

No need giving him false hopes. I daresay, in the end, that could be even more "harsh" than what I've said. erm

Old Post Oct 12th, 2006 12:19 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brutacus

Best way to start is to get a education that involve's art or something with drawing stuff, I mean let's be real today you need a education before people take you serious.

And with that education you will allway's have something to fall back on.
Because let's be real how many young people don't share a dream like you have, I bett millions yet how many will make it, not sure but not a lot.

But like I said get good diploma, and maybe you're lucky, and get a shot.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2006 12:53 AM
Brutacus is currently offline Click here to Send Brutacus a Private Message Find more posts by Brutacus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marvelprince
Illuminati Founder

Originally posted by H. S. 6
It's the truth. One look at his spelling and grammar is all you really need to see.

No need giving him false hopes. I daresay, in the end, that could be even more "harsh" than what I've said. erm

I highly doubt everyone writes the same way they would write a story. I know I don't. I'm not giving false hopes to anyone, but I'm not gonna tell him that it won't happen. Not sure exactly why you're out to kill this guy's dream though

Sig by The Pittman

Old Post Oct 12th, 2006 03:19 AM
marvelprince is currently offline Click here to Send marvelprince a Private Message Find more posts by marvelprince Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by marvelprince
I highly doubt everyone writes the same way they would write a story. I know I don't. I'm not giving false hopes to anyone, but I'm not gonna tell him that it won't happen. Not sure exactly why you're out to kill this guy's dream though

I'm not "out to kill this guy's dream." Perhaps I'm more of a realist than you, but I see no point in telling him anything other than what I feel, and, more likely than not, the truth.

On a side note, you can judge someone's writing skills pretty accurately by the way they type/write/communicate online and in posts. wink

Old Post Oct 12th, 2006 07:10 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

I dont know...i write like a complete dumb ass on here , yet I want to be an author.

Compare my posts on KMC to this fan-fic i recently wrote...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3195174/1/

Old Post Oct 12th, 2006 07:37 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote