KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Name the last truly original superpowered character.

Name the last truly original superpowered character.
Started by: long pig

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Name the last truly original superpowered character.

I can't think of a single superpowered person in the last 30 years with a superpower or a story that hasn't been done before. Name the last truly original character you can remember.

The only one that comes to my mind is Wolverine....seriously. I don't remember anyone having unbreakable bones and built in knives that cut through anything before him.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 07:38 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Daredevil- A blind guy who's other five senses, and a special 6th one are all that he has to rely on, along with his solid sense of justice

Venom- Alien symbiote that copies the powers of the wearers, is vulnerable to sonics and fire, and evolves to become a twisted anti-hero

And Ghostrider, who just seems blatantly unique to me. Or, at least, he was at the time. The flaming skull thing might no longer be original

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 07:51 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I can agree with two of those, and both are over 30 friggin' years old! And that's sad.

Venom isn't original at all...whatsoever. There was a twighlight zone eppsiode in the 60's about symbiotic clothes who take over people when they wore them and give them lots of power but make them sort of evil. They'd also get addicted to it. Sooo, no. Venom ain't original, but the other two are very much so original I believe.

Ok, in the past 15 years, who is the most original?

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 07:58 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beta Ray Howard
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by long pig
[BVenom isn't original at all...whatsoever. There was a twighlight zone eppsiode in the 60's about symbiotic clothes who take over people when they wore them and give them lots of power but make them sort of evil. They'd also get addicted to it. Sooo, no. Venom ain't original, but the other two are very much so original I believe.
[/B]

Symbiosis isn't. Character is.

The Watchmen fall into that category. So does V for Vendetta. Also, the concept of Thanos.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 08:18 AM
Beta Ray Howard is currently offline Click here to Send Beta Ray Howard a Private Message Find more posts by Beta Ray Howard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Howard_Jones
Symbiosis isn't. Character is.

The Watchmen fall into that category. So does V for Vendetta. Also, the concept of Thanos.

Venom was a symbiotic suit, so was that one.

Venom's suit boosts your strength, so did that one.

Venom's suit was addictive, so was that one.

Venom's suit made you evil, so did that one.

Venom's suit was black, so was that one.
Venom is just Spiderman with a bad attitude.

I don't think Thanos' powerset is orginal. strong/smart/durable/powerful blasts are about 60 years old.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 08:23 AM
Beta Ray Howard
Restricted

Account Restricted

Venom was a symbiotic suit, so was that one.

Venom's suit boosts your strength, so did that one.

Venom's suit was addictive, so was that one.

Venom's suit made you evil, so did that one.

Venom's suit was black, so was that one.
Venom is just Spiderman with a bad attitude.

I don't think Thanos' powerset is orginal. strong/smart/durable/powerful blasts are about 60 years old.

I said the character, not the power.

Put down the doobie.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 08:42 AM
Beta Ray Howard is currently offline Click here to Send Beta Ray Howard a Private Message Find more posts by Beta Ray Howard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Howard_Jones
I said the character, not the power.

Put down the doobie.

That's what the thread is about. It's about super human's with original superpowers.
Since Venom is only 1/3 original, he's not truly original, so yeah.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 08:48 AM
Beta Ray Howard
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's what the thread is about. It's about super human's with original superpowers.
Since Venom is only 1/3 original, he's not truly original, so yeah.

Considering Superman had about 75% of the original powers out there, you won't find many.

To find an orignal hero, you can't just look at the powerset. You gotta look at the character behind it.

However, here's some mostly originals:

Namor
Human Torch (silver age)
Mr. Fantastic
Invisible Woman
Captain America

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 08:58 AM
Moses Morrison
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jack Hawksmoore

I LOVE ME SOME ME Professor X respect thread

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 08:59 AM
Moses Morrison is currently offline Click here to Send Moses Morrison a Private Message Find more posts by Moses Morrison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Professor X? (how old is he?)
Squirrel Girl! (yes I win!)

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 09:02 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Originally posted by bigbran
Professor X? (how old is he?)
Squirrel Girl! (yes I win!)
End of 1963. But I don't know how original I consider telepathy to be.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 09:07 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
End of 1963. But I don't know how original I consider telepathy to be.
A bald man in a wheelchair that teaches people?

Stan Lee.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 09:41 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

His character was somewhat inspired by MLK Jr. erm

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 09:54 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Cloak and Dagger.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 10:08 AM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AcousticDoc

slap stick. I don't remember seeing a comic book chracter with cartoon powers before him.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 11:38 AM
AcousticDoc is currently offline Click here to Send AcousticDoc a Private Message Find more posts by AcousticDoc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Superman...

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 11:39 AM
S-Ranger

Would Genis count?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 11:55 AM
S-Ranger is currently offline Click here to Send S-Ranger a Private Message Find more posts by S-Ranger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beta Ray Howard
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by S-Ranger
Would Genis count?

No, but his dad might

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 12:36 PM
Rhinoceros
PM me for nudes ;)

Stacy X - Even though no one liked her.

"Don't you know who I am? He must not know who I am! I'm The Ju.. Eh, Rhino! B*tch!"

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 01:00 PM
Rhinoceros is currently offline Click here to Send Rhinoceros a Private Message Find more posts by Rhinoceros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DDurand

Difficult to say.

I don't think Thanos and Captain America are originals.

Thanos is just an "i am always true and i'm bad" with invulnerability and beams.
He is created in... 1973. More than 30 years. And it's an homage to Darkseid.

Captain America is too old (1940, first publication in march 1941). And it's a rip-of of a character named... Shield (by Joe Simon ?).

I go with Galactus (ar, no : 1966)...

Damn... Squirrel Girl ?
Well, it's a loosely furry/catgirl toon-like character. Maybe Squirrel Girl (Hey ! Mister Master ! I put her just after God/TOAA !).

I go with the Psychic dislexia institute : All the characters are affected by a psychic dislexia. As the Bunny : He project negative emotions, "causing anyone near you to want to kick the bejeezu out of you".

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 03:32 PM
DDurand is currently offline Click here to Send DDurand a Private Message Find more posts by DDurand Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote