KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Comic book covers...

Comic book covers...
Started by: Lucid Lui

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lucid Lui
Air Laki Laki

Comic book covers...

Modern day covers vs. Golden/Silver Age covers... ?

Do you prefer the more straight forward, less-related-to-the-inside-story splash covers we mainly get these days, or the more Golden/Silver Age style over the top, extaggerating-the-inside-plot covers?

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Verily.
| www.lucidlui.com | Aquaman Respect Thread |

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 09:20 PM
Lucid Lui is currently offline Click here to Send Lucid Lui a Private Message Find more posts by Lucid Lui Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Modern day covers vs. Golden/Silver Age covers... ?

Do you prefer the more straight forward, less-related-to-the-inside-story splash covers we mainly get these days, or the more Golden/Silver Age style over the top, extaggerating-the-inside-plot covers?

For Hilarity - Golden/Silver Age

For Bad-ass - Modern

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 09:24 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

I would like a mixture

I would like covers that are less-related-to-the-inside-story with over the top style, that extaggerates-the-inside-plot yes laughing

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 09:52 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I don't like 60% of the cover being dead space just for the title (i.e. every CW tie-in).

But modern for me.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 09:54 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Meh ... I like whatever looks good ... plus I don't spend a lot of time looking at the cover of the book.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 10:28 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathstroke
Slayer

I think as long as the image on the cover invokes some kind of emotion or has some lasting impact on me it doesn't matter if it's gold/silver age or modern. There are great iconic covers from every era.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 10:45 PM
Deathstroke is currently offline Click here to Send Deathstroke a Private Message Find more posts by Deathstroke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Modern all the way, for me.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 10:54 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Strangely...I maybe the only one to say that I'd prefer the Golden/Silver age covers. The reason is history and simplicity. It captures the images of the characters in great peril. You can see the expression of the good guy and grinning evilness of the bad guy. Many covers these days seem to focus on more extravagant images rather than acutally capture a summary of the story in the comic.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 11:39 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Whirly
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fears path, and only I will remain."
-Paul Atreides

Surely the quote on your sig is the Bene Gesserit or Orange Catholic Bible and not Paul if I remember rightly.

I left on my own terms, as I always should have smile rock
If I ever want to return I will, keep the faith my friends, sometimes i'll look in.

herd behavior is a comical thing.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 11:42 PM
Whirly is currently offline Click here to Send Whirly a Private Message Find more posts by Whirly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by By Crom!
Surely the quote on your sig is the Bene Gesserit or Orange Catholic Bible and not Paul.

In the book yes..in the film it's Paul.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 11:42 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Whirly
Restricted

Account Restricted

In the book yes..in the film it's Paul.

Oh, O.K. that's probably true, by the way if you haven't already don't bother with the prequels they are awful, Franks son should have left well alone.

If I ever want to return I will, keep the faith my friends, sometimes i'll look in.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 11:44 PM
Whirly is currently offline Click here to Send Whirly a Private Message Find more posts by Whirly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I'm currently reading this book

Which is okay so far...

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 11:47 PM
Whirly
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm currently reading this book

Which is okay so far...

I read to the end of the Butlerian Jihad that was enough for me. sad I agree about his boys books not having the same kick. The original is always going to be the best. I know you're a mod here, but I know an excellent set of forums dedicated to Sci Fi books, films, movies and TV shows. It's one you sometimes reference in your front banner page news if you're interested, I obviously won't paste it's url here. it's also a bigboard. It's got lower traffic and generally is a bit more mature, you might like it.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 11:53 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Interesting....pm me a link and might take a peep. smile

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2007 11:57 PM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

70's era comic covers all the way!

The art was better, the artist's egos were smaller. To me, those were the greatest covers ever.

Look at thor #250-350. Detective comics in the 70's. Fantastic Four in the 70's. SPIDERMAN in the 70's. Even some of the Superman comics. Brilliant, almost every single one of them.

80's-90's, well....they suck badly. Today's comics are more like actual hardcover book covers than comics, so....I don't like them.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Jan 25th, 2007 05:21 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Strangely...I maybe the only one to say that I'd prefer the Golden/Silver age covers. The reason is history and simplicity. It captures the images of the characters in great peril. You can see the expression of the good guy and grinning evilness of the bad guy. Many covers these days seem to focus on more extravagant images rather than acutally capture a summary of the story in the comic.

I must agree with you.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Jan 25th, 2007 05:22 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Modern hands down, alot of newer comics are worth buying based on the cover art alone. I would say Golden/Silver age are comic covers done by comic artists while Modern covers are done by artists, who happen to work in comics, much more artistc merit to be sure.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jan 25th, 2007 06:02 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by Deathstroke
I think as long as the image on the cover invokes some kind of emotion or has some lasting impact on me it doesn't matter if it's gold/silver age or modern. There are great iconic covers from every era.

So if I printed a comic, and it's cover had, say... a nearly drowned kitten on the front, you would buy it?

Old Post Jan 25th, 2007 07:49 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by SpunkySmurph

So if I printed a comic, and it's cover had, say... a nearly drowned kitten on the front, you would buy it?

He isn't an idiot! He is going to wait for the Omnibus that has the full drowned kitten on it. mad

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jan 25th, 2007 08:05 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

A lady walks up to a man who keeps banging his head on the wall and asks"why do you keep doing that?" "because"the man said "it feels good when i stop"

That man was digi

Old Post Jan 25th, 2007 09:34 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote