KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Propulsion power or Strength ?

Propulsion power or Strength ?
Started by: Doctor S.T.D.

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Doctor S.T.D.
Babes, why wont it go in?

Propulsion power or Strength ?

When characters are seen to move huge objects such as planets, moons, asteroids or even the levitation of mountains, are they using pure strength or are they using the power of propulsion i.e. the 'engines' that allow them to fly. For example in volume 2, of John Brynes Man of Steel series, Superman makes reference to objects weighing nothing when he is flying with them. A similar reference is made here ....

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...-respect-thread

So can we equate the movement of planets to strength or propulsion power ? It would explain alot, for example why there seems to be little collateral damage when seemingly planet movers clash with one another. Maybe the energies used for punches are far inferior to those used to propel characters and objects. It would make a lot of people re asses the strength levels associated with various of the characters on here (Especially Superman and Wonder Woman). It would also explain why Thor appears to have inferior strength to the Hulk, when the Mid guard Serpent probably weights a LOT more than that 200 Billion ton mountain.

IS this piccture abouts sterngth or propulsion power ?

Attachment: jla58pg13.jpg
This has been downloaded 150 time(s).

'The only sock around here is on my 'japseye'. - Yahman

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2007 09:06 PM
Doctor S.T.D. is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor S.T.D. a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor S.T.D. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Propulsion seems to be way stronger than punching power for the most part.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2007 09:26 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

i think its just taking license with the material... i mean, if, say, when superman fought doomsday, they were really punching as hard as possible, the shockwaves would kill people...

its a comic, so its flexible with what happens...

thats how i see it at least...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2007 09:29 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Anyways, unless it's specific grappling/wrestling/arm wrestling etc. One would think propulsion power would still be applicable in debates, and therefore the feats still perfectly useable.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2007 09:39 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor S.T.D.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Anyways, unless it's specific grappling/wrestling/arm wrestling etc. One would think propulsion power would still be applicable in debates, and therefore the feats still perfectly useable.

If its a slug fest though, It seems as though the likes of the Hulk et.c would have an immense advantage. For all we know Superman maybe incapable of performing feats on the Secret Wars level by pure strength alone.

P.S. Propulsion power would also explain the immense inaccuracies of the Marvel Strength system. Maye be Thor can only lift 100 tons, but Moljnirs propulsion power allows him to moves islands e.t.c.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2007 09:48 PM
Doctor S.T.D. is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor S.T.D. a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor S.T.D. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor S.T.D.

Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Propulsion seems to be way stronger than punching power for the most part.

I agree. It would lower the respectable strength levels of Pre Crisis Superman, and Superboy Prime to a more level playing field.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2007 09:50 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.
If its a slug fest though, It seems as though the likes of the Hulk et.c would have an immense advantage. For all we know Superman maybe incapable of performing feats on the Secret Wars level by pure strength alone.

P.S. Propulsion power would also explain the immense inaccuracies of the Marvel Strength system. Maye be Thor can only lift 100 tons, but Moljnirs propulsion power allows him to moves islands e.t.c.

Interesting. Can one emit propulsive force from just part of their body, eg, add such force to the physical power behind throwing a fist?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2007 11:35 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UniOmni
Outrageously Dickish

I remember i once said that people who push planets, owe it mostly to their durability and the thrust behind their flight, and me and Spetnaz got into a long debate over it.

People said i was being technical just to be a dick(and i was), while i maintained that thinking on it from a logical standpoint, tells me that durability and thrust factor more into it than pure benching strength.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2007 12:25 AM
UniOmni is currently offline Click here to Send UniOmni a Private Message Find more posts by UniOmni Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Mindship
Interesting. Can one emit propulsive force from just part of their body, eg, add such force to the physical power behind throwing a fist?

of course you can, ever pushed something using only your arms and back? same stuff that goes into a punch...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2007 12:38 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by pr1983
of course you can, ever pushed something using only your arms and back? same stuff that goes into a punch...

I think he means, can one use the power thats used to fly, but only in your fist, to add more momentum...

Maybe. confused

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2007 12:44 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Could Superman do it? What about Iron Man, or Hawkman? Depends on the nature of the force, it would seem.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2007 12:58 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manjaro
No-No Place-licky McNicky

dont you see superman straining in the picture? supes has said...especially in the bryne run that he has some sort of self telekinesis going thtats why objects weighed little to nothing, ...but as of the last three years there has ben a minute retcon.. since the advent of supergirl, it was revealed that superman was actually strong as all hell, its just that becuase his powers kicked in when he was a teen he has learned to put limits on them for fear of destroying the planet, so if he were to bloodlust he would probabl be a few small nothces below PC supes. (sans time travleing, and solar system sneezing abilities tho)

*SECRET NO-NO PLACE* Licking FTW Baby!!!!!!rock rock

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2007 01:20 AM
manjaro is currently offline Click here to Send manjaro a Private Message Find more posts by manjaro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Donkey Punch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Bump ! smile

Old Post Mar 15th, 2007 11:47 PM
Donkey Punch is currently offline Click here to Send Donkey Punch a Private Message Find more posts by Donkey Punch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote