KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Great Years in Comics

Great Years in Comics
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

Great Years in Comics

Just like they say with fine wines - that was a very good year.

What do other people think were great single years in comics history? For what was released that year, certain events, etc?

I have a first pick, but I want to hear what others say first as their choices.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 04:44 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

The 80's no expression

N'uff Said

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 05:24 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Any particular year in the 1980's?

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 05:25 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guy222
With my gal

Re: Great Years in Comics

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
Just like they say with fine wines - that was a very good year.

What do other people think were great single years in comics history? For what was released that year, certain events, etc?

I have a first pick, but I want to hear what others say first as their choices.

I like all the years. 80's Secret Wars was a hit. Gaiman is back. Of course, Kirby and Lee

thank u bz

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 05:28 PM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

The 80,s thats when I first started collecting. 86-89....*sigh*

During those years nobody could test me on Marvel knoweldge I collected almost every single title. I dont have those comics anymore.....

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 06:21 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Libertine
Restricted

Account Restricted

77 Korvac Saga

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 06:24 PM
The Libertine is currently offline Click here to Send The Libertine a Private Message Find more posts by The Libertine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

For me, the great year was 1986.

DC was beginning it's post-Crisis reboot of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, as the new DC Universe was coming into being.
Frank Miller was THE dominant creative force that year, getting headlines with The Dark Knight Returns & Batman: Year One.
Alan Moore - the era's favourite writer - his legend was growing with the release of Watchmen. No more words to add to that.

For Marvel, they were celebrating their 25th anniversary. And Miller had major works over there too, concluding the Daredevil: Born Again storyline; plus, the painted graphic novel Daredevil: Love & War & the Elektra: Assassin miniseries - both done with Bill Sienkiewicz, the wildest illustrator of that period.
And things were getting really bad with the X-Men, with the Mutant Massacre and the start (on the comics page) of Wolverine's hate-feud with Sabretooth.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2007 08:06 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

...Oh, also in 1986 we had the last major work by Jack Kirby - THE HUNGER DOGS, about Darkseid and the end of the New Gods.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 05:14 AM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Always the 80's

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 11:29 AM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by roughrider
...Oh, also in 1986 we had the last major work by Jack Kirby - THE HUNGER DOGS, about Darkseid and the end of the New Gods.

Hey, hey , hey, you're lowering the tone of the thread leave DC out. stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 01:57 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CyborgHolliday
Vagrant

early 40's. yes

early 60's yes

1975-1980 yes

1986-1989 yes

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 08:31 PM
CyborgHolliday is currently offline Click here to Send CyborgHolliday a Private Message Find more posts by CyborgHolliday Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CyborgHolliday
Vagrant

Originally posted by Alfheim
Hey, hey , hey, you're lowering the tone of the thread leave DC out. stick out tongue

DC > Marvel right now. marvel's crossovers are killing it among the really lazy writing

Old Post Feb 28th, 2007 08:32 PM
CyborgHolliday is currently offline Click here to Send CyborgHolliday a Private Message Find more posts by CyborgHolliday Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote