KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Concerning Timelines

Concerning Timelines
Started by: Soljer

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Soljer
Beware my Power

Concerning Timelines

How does one, personally, understand the chronology of the Marvel Univese, unless we are explicitly told?

With the likes of Spiderman and Wolverine, for example. Those characters who appear in multiple titles, in multiple places at multiple times.

How do we know what happens when? Obviously Spiderman can't be doing two things at once.

With the likes of Wolverine, he can't be in space with the Astonishing X-Men and in four other books simultaneously on Earth...

What happens when?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post May 17th, 2007 12:26 AM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Clones? Robots? Mass hallucination? Fluctuations in the quantum wave function of characters? Bad editors? Greed?

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 17th, 2007 12:28 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Re: Concerning Timelines

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Soljer
How does one, personally, understand the chronology of the Marvel Univese, unless we are explicitly told?

With the likes of Spiderman and Wolverine, for example. Those characters who appear in multiple titles, in multiple places at multiple times.

How do we know what happens when? Obviously Spiderman can't be doing two things at once.

With the likes of Wolverine, he can't be in space with the Astonishing X-Men and in four other books simultaneously on Earth...

What happens when?
Just go with it man. I try not to think about it anymore.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post May 17th, 2007 12:32 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

Re: Concerning Timelines

What happens when?
If I'm not mistaken, Astonishing is taking place before civil war( I think).

Made by Jugg666

Old Post May 17th, 2007 12:53 AM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Marvel and DC have dealt specifically with this question many times before, and the basic gist of their response is "you need to have a healthy suspension of disbelief". So if a Spider-Man comic comes out a week after something in, say, X-Men...but it had to happen 1st, then it did.

Both companies have dozens of titles at any one time, so managing all that perfectly is impossible for anyone. But it's not to hard for us as readers to accept it and work it into the accepted way of understanding the respective universes, espeically for characters with multiple titles.

So yeah, not ideal....but it really only becomes a problem if we let it.

Old Post May 17th, 2007 01:12 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Re: Re: Concerning Timelines

Originally posted by Badabing
Just go with it man. I try not to think about it anymore.

It's like trying to understand a temporal paradox. After thinking about it awhile, you either go insane or just say '**** it'. You're better just shrugging your shoulders and not even trying. wink I should know, I got a severe headache trying to figure out the temporal paradox in Babylon 5's 2nd season with the whole Valen and Babylon 4 thing. smile

Old Post May 17th, 2007 01:47 AM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starhawk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think they need to redo the Guardians of the Galaxy but the ones from 616 future.

Burn Baby, BURN!!!My Sig Artwork

Old Post May 17th, 2007 03:12 AM
Starhawk is currently offline Click here to Send Starhawk a Private Message Find more posts by Starhawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

Originally posted by Starhawk
I think they need to redo the Guardians of the Galaxy but the ones from 616 future.

But no one here cares what you think. .

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post May 17th, 2007 03:24 AM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Putting periods after emoticons is still more annoying that Starhawk though

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 17th, 2007 03:40 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

DAMN! If I didn't know better, I'd say you do not care much for Starhawk.

I'm with the consensus on this one though. It's best if we just accept it.....and make fun of it from time to time. It is good for a laugh or two.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 17th, 2007 at 03:50 AM

Old Post May 17th, 2007 03:48 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

Originally posted by StyleTime
DAMN! If I didn't know better, I'd say you do not care much for Starhawk.

I don't really have a particular problem with Starhawk.

I have problems with repeated socks. Annoying-as-**** repeated socks, that is.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post May 17th, 2007 03:51 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by TricksterPriest
It's like trying to understand a temporal paradox. After thinking about it awhile, you either go insane or just say '**** it'. You're better just shrugging your shoulders and not even trying. wink I should know, I got a severe headache trying to figure out the temporal paradox in Babylon 5's 2nd season with the whole Valen and Babylon 4 thing. smile

I always go with the multiple universe answer when it comes to the temporal paradox question. It makes more sense than "It's impossible".

Thought I'd toss that in there.......

...carry on.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post May 17th, 2007 03:56 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote