KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Omnipotence,Omniscience,Omnipresence

Omnipotence,Omniscience,Omnipresence
Started by: lordboo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nihilist

Question Omnipotence,Omniscience,Omnipresence

which of these power would you rather have?
Omnipotence(all/unlimited power)

omniscience(knowing everything that can be known,
including thoughts, feelings, life and the universe)

omnipresence( ability to be present in every place at any, and/or every, time)

which would you choose and why?

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 12:34 PM
Nihilist is currently offline Click here to Send Nihilist a Private Message Find more posts by Nihilist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supermanluv
Restricted

Account Restricted

The first one gives you the others ....

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 01:31 PM
Supermanluv is currently offline Click here to Send Supermanluv a Private Message Find more posts by Supermanluv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Supermanluv
The first one gives you the others ....
thumb up

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 01:53 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

As mentioned, omipotence would allow you to benefit from both of the others (though I'd hate to be omnipresent).

According to some theories, omniscience would similarly allow you to benefit from omnipotence. However, most of these 'theories' are made of pure bunk.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 02:58 PM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Omnipotence contradicts itself.

The classic "Can God make a stone larger than he can lift" is a good example.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 03:04 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

Omnipotence. Though I wouldn't want omnipresence or omniscience.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 03:05 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

Originally posted by DigiMark007

No it doesn't.

Omnipotence contradicts contradiction...

It contradicts all logic and all logical rules.

It makes it possible for you to make two plus two equal italian red snapper.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 03:16 PM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supermanluv
Restricted

Account Restricted

Onipotence only contradicts itslef due to the limits of human logic and language. True onipotence would be meta physical, where the laws of reason and logic don't really apply.

P.S. Im doing a philosophy degree at university.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 03:23 PM
Supermanluv is currently offline Click here to Send Supermanluv a Private Message Find more posts by Supermanluv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supermanluv
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Soljer
No it doesn't.

Omnipotence contradicts contradiction...

It contradicts all logic and all logical rules.

It makes it possible for you to make two plus two equal italian red snapper.

Exactly. True onipotence goes beyond the symbolistic meaining of 'All powerful' that is limited by human language, i.e. like concepts such as Infinity.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 03:26 PM
Creshosk

Actually that "example" is one that I easily shot down in a thread dedicated to the subject of "Omnipotence is a logical paradox".

The only hard part I had was getting people to understand the answer to that specific example.

Create a rock that's larger than anything else in the universe. Then you can't lift it because there's nothing to lift it from.

The problem you face is Work = Force x Distance

Assuming you're smaller than the rock:
Lifting it with your hands would be akin to doing a hand stand. Lifting it with energy would be akin to flying from it.
Assuming you're larger than the rock:
With it being the only thing other than yourself. you still face a POV problem of being unable to mesure the distaence the rock has been lifted without the possability of it being you that moved.

With no way of mesuring then Force can be infinite, but if the distence is 0 the work is 0. and you have not lifted the rock. Because the big question my solution poses is: What are you lifting it from?

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 03:35 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Re: Omnipotence,Omniscience,Omnipresence

Originally posted by lordboo

None of the above. I'd rather have Benevolence yes

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 04:12 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

Re: Re: Omnipotence,Omniscience,Omnipresence

Originally posted by willRules
None of the above. I'd rather have Benevolence yes
That's not a superpower. Reguler humans can be benevolent. smile

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 04:18 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Meh, I still consider it a superpower, but maybe I'm easy to please.....that's sort of the whole point big grin

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 04:19 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guy222
With my gal

Re: Omnipotence,Omniscience,Omnipresence

Originally posted by lordboo
which of these power would you rather have?
Omnipotence(all/unlimited power)

omniscience(knowing everything that can be known,
including thoughts, feelings, life and the universe)

omnipresence( ability to be present in every place at any, and/or every, time)

omnipotence

thank u bz

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 05:31 PM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Supermanluv
Onipotence only contradicts itslef due to the limits of human logic and language. True onipotence would be meta physical, where the laws of reason and logic don't really apply.

P.S. Im doing a philosophy degree at university.

Well good for you, I'm sure "university" is thrilled to have you, but it doesn't make you right.

Help explain for me how "true" imnipotence would get around those interesting loopholes, like the one I suggested. You can't, because it doesn't. Using words like subjective reality, metaphysical (one word, btw) existence, and the like do nothing to wash away the contradictions.

If you want to provide valid reasons why it doesn't, be my guest. I'm open to discussion, as well as having my mind changed. But semantic overload (using words and terms that you think your audience won't comprehend fully, and thus not be able to refute) isn't going to work.

If you want to talk about post-human concepts that humans can't currently comprehend (like imagining a 5-dimensional cube, which we can't) then that's one thing. But the very fact that it is just that, post human....post "us" and our understanding of reality....means that our opinion is instantly invalidated any time we talk about it because it is quite simply beyond our ability to comprehend, explain, or argue with. So speculation will only get so far before you run into ideas that can't be explained.

Last edited by Digi on Sep 8th, 2007 at 05:37 PM

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 05:34 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Master

Help explain for me how "true" imnipotence would get around those interesting loopholes, like the one I suggested. You can't, because it doesn't. Using words like subjective reality, metaphysical (one word, btw) existence, and the like do nothing to wash away the contradictions.

If you want to provide valid reasons why it doesn't, be my guest. I'm open to discussion, as well as having my mind changed. But semantic overload (using words and terms that you think your audience won't comprehend fully, and thus not be able to refute) isn't going to work.

If you want to talk about post-human concepts that humans can't currently comprehend (like imagining a 5-dimensional cube, which we can't) then that's one thing. But the very fact that it is just that, post human....post "us" and our understanding of reality....means that our opinion is instantly invalidated any time we talk about it because it is quite simply beyond our ability to comprehend, explain, or argue with. So speculation will only get so far before you run into ideas that can't be explained.

thumb up I feel like a child right about now.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 05:46 PM
Mr Master is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Master a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Omnipotence.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 06:06 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Well good for you, I'm sure "university" is thrilled to have you, but it doesn't make you right.

There is a problem with the Paradox of the Rock though.

You see most people talk of the Rock Paradox because if God can always lift a rock then he fails at being unable to actually fail but the Paradox must first assume that the Paradox can exist.

Omnipotence is the ability to to do anything you want. For instance the ability to make Reality be 2+2=7 for no other reason then you want it to be so. So the Paradox of the Rock can not hold true because God(Omnipotent) can make reality equal him not failing at any given point because he chooses not to fail because that is what Omnipotence is. The ability to hold power that that is neither limited in scope or range or power.

So the very concept of Omnipotence doesn't allow for the Rock of Paradox because a being that is not limited to our scope and range can make it so that Paradox's don't even exist.

So conceptually you can not place God within the Scope and limits of the human mind because the human mind can not deal with the concept of infinity or never ending power.

So in reality the Paradox of the Rock contradicts itself because there can never be a failing point for true omnipotence.

Or to put it into a Mathematical concept for you. God will always be able to hold the rock but seeing as he can always make a bigger rock ,because there is no limit to the size he can create, he will never reach that point of failure because he can always go to another level. Therefore the point at which he either fails or doesn't will never come because there is no ending point for it to happen. Thus the concept of Inifinity there can never be an end.

sig by Rao Kal El

Last edited by Newjak on Sep 8th, 2007 at 07:57 PM

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 07:47 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

I have a good feeling about this thread.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 07:55 PM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Last edited by Digi on Sep 8th, 2007 at 08:12 PM

Old Post Sep 8th, 2007 08:08 PM