KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Supermen and magic

Supermen and magic
Started by: Alfheim

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deadline

Smile Supermen and magic

Im quite ignorant on this subject but I would like some info. Whats the deal with Superman and magic? Some verisons of superman are more vulnerable to magic than others. SBP for example does not have a weakness to magic, does this mean he is completely immune or does it simply mean hes not taken out so easily eg SBP does not have a wekaness for getting punched in the face but a sufficently powerful punch will hurt him.

What versions of Superman are completely immune to magic and can magic be used in a different way to hurt them eg a magical bolt will do nothing but if you use magic to give yourself superhuman strength your strength can damage them.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 12:11 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Kryptonians (and possibly Daxamites) owe their incredible durability to their Bio-Electric auras which shield them from harm. Magic however can bypass it completely, this is because....

1. Magic is inherently chaotic and doesn't have to follow Sciences 'rules'
2. It's freaking magic !

SBP is an anomaly due to his Magic resistance, there is a possibility however that he could be harmed by Magic from Earth Prime. But considering we have no actual Magic it's a moot point.

Silver-age Superman was very vulnerable to magic, more-so then his post crisis counterpart. Then again he was like that with K-nite.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 12:56 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

quote: (post)
Originally posted by grey fox

SBP is an anomaly due to his Magic resistance,

Ok but what exactly do you mean by resistant? Do you mean it does jack **** or that for example it can hurt him but its not as easy for example SBP is resistant to brute force but not invulnerable?

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 01:06 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Superman can willpower through his way through magic as well, just shrugging off it's effects.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 01:22 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by Alfheim
Ok but what exactly do you mean by resistant? Do you mean it does jack **** or that for example it can hurt him but its not as easy for example SBP is resistant to brute force but not invulnerable?
So far it seems immunity, until we see magic do some actual direct damage to him.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 01:23 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Laminator_X
Once & Future KMC Hawkeye

Has he had thusfar a direct confrontation with anybody like Zatana or Dr. Fate?

...You are Number Six. Respect Popeye

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 01:48 PM
Laminator_X is currently offline Click here to Send Laminator_X a Private Message Find more posts by Laminator_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Laminator_X
Has he had thusfar a direct confrontation with anybody like Zatana or Dr. Fate?

I think he captured an alterante Zatanna and used her to torture Mxy, so I guess there must have been some confrontation, but I dont know any details.

Originally posted by Juntai
Superman can willpower through his way through magic as well, just shrugging off it's effects.

hmmm thats just like everything else really.

So far it seems immunity, until we see magic do some actual direct damage to him.

It seems? Well it seems then that if somebody used magic to fight SBP he would have to use it indirectly eg vastly incraesing their strength

Last edited by Deadline on Jan 11th, 2008 at 02:02 PM

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 01:59 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

I think he captured an alterante Zatanna and used her to torture Mxy, so I guess there must have been some confrontation, but I dont know any details.

hmmm thats just like everything else really.

It seems? Well it seems then that if somebody used magic to fight SBP he would have to use it indirectly eg vastly incraesing their strength
Black Adam tried charging up his punches with magic, and his strength is magical as it is. Prime said it tickled.

And yes, Supes does seem to 'will' his way through nearly any obstacle. Even godly magic has proven ineffectual against him once he presses full on.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 02:14 PM
Deadline

Black Adam tried charging up his punches with magic, and his strength is magical as it is. Prime said it tickled.

Yes I think I saw scans of that. When Black Adam punched SBP you could see energy coming out of his fists so its like his punches were magical. This I think is different from somebody like Juggernaut, hes powered by magic but his punches are physical, from what I gathered on the scans Adams punches were emitting energy.

Also bare in mind it might not even have tickled because of the magic but because its was not powerful enough.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 02:25 PM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

IIRC Zauriels sword did nothing...

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 02:29 PM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Martian_mind
IIRC Zauriels sword did nothing...

Could it be argued that the magic wasnt powerful enough?

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 02:33 PM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Could it be argued that the magic wasnt powerful enough?

Well,his sword was forged in heaven.....

But i guess it may have lacked the power.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 02:47 PM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

His sword or DCU heaven?

shifty.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 02:58 PM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Yes I think I saw scans of that. When Black Adam punched SBP you could see energy coming out of his fists so its like his punches were magical. This I think is different from somebody like Juggernaut, hes powered by magic but his punches are physical, from what I gathered on the scans Adams punches were emitting energy.

Also bare in mind it might not even have tickled because of the magic but because its was not powerful enough.
Adam's strength is imbued from magic as well. I already said that.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 03:00 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I believe that the only Supermen confirmed on panel as 'immune' to magic are Prime, and Superman 1M...

However,
it could also be assumed that every version of Superman from the 67th century onward, would be immune to magic as well.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 03:09 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Adam's strength is imbued from magic as well. I already said that.

From my understanding the reason why you brought up Black Adam was because it was refering to a question about the indirect use of magic ie giving yourself superhuman strength with magic. The point I was trying to make was that charging your fists with energy is not indirect use of magic but direct. I know he has superhuman strength with magic but I thought I was refering to him using magic to charge his punches.

Originally posted by Galan007
I believe that the only Supermen confirmed on panel as 'immune' to magic are Prime, and Superman 1M...

However,
it could also be assumed that every version of Superman from the 67th century onward, would be immune to magic as well.

Hmm when you think about it they're probably immune to everything. I would suspect that they would be immune to brute force, psionics, energy attacks etc but only very, very powerful attacks could damage them. So maybe really and truly his resistance to magic is just an overall resistance and toughness.

Yeah but that doesnt always mean a damn thing. Some characters are gods and they pawned by humans.

Last edited by Deadline on Jan 11th, 2008 at 03:39 PM

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 03:26 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

From my understanding the reason why you brought up Black Adam was because it was refering to a question about the indirect use of magic ie giving yourself superhuman strength with magic. The point I was trying to make was that charging your fists with energy is not indirect use of magic but direct.

Hmm when you think about it they're probably immune to everything. I would suspect that they would be immune to brute force, psionics, energy attacks etc but only very, very powerful attacks could damage them.
However he is also magically imbued with his strength as well.

Last edited by Juntai on Jan 11th, 2008 at 03:41 PM

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 03:38 PM
Deadline

However he is also magically imbued with his strength as well.

Yeah I know, so it could be argued that powerful magic could make you sufficently powerful to beat SBP via converting into superhuman strength but if the magic was used in the form of a blast or something silmilar it would not work.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 03:42 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Yeah I know, so it could be argued that powerful magic could make you sufficently powerful to beat SBP via converting into superhuman strength but if the magic was used in the form of a blast or something silmilar it would not work.
Except, that's exactly what happened, and to no effect- on panel.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 03:43 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

So maybe really and truly his resistance to magic is just an overall resistance and toughness.
Not when it was stated that said version(s) of Superman are specifically immune to magic.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 03:43 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote