KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Why the hell are so many writers leaving Mainstream D.C. ?

Why the hell are so many writers leaving Mainstream D.C. ?
Started by: Cartesian Doubt

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Why the hell are so many writers leaving Mainstream D.C. ?

Before the last Crisis D.C. boasted probably one of the best writing teams ever put together; with the likes of Geoff Johns, Grant Morisson, Mark Waid, Jeph Loeb, Gail Simone and Greg Rucka all on regular books, and with the likes of Metzler and Robinson filling in on other titles. However, Mark Waid, Jeph Loeb and Greg Rucka have left, and grant Morisson has said he will only concentrate on Batman after the crisis. It seems as though D.C. is going to have a tough time emulating its former greatness after the crisis.

I mean when you consider how many great books D.C. where putting out before the Crisis ; Teen Titans, JSA, Flash, Identity Crisis, Birds of Prey, Gotham Central, Seven Soldiers its hard to see which non Geoff Johns books match up. With the exception of Wonder Woman, most of the new non Geoff Johns books really suck. I wish they'd bring in some new talent. I know Mark Miller recently made reference to how much he would like to write Superman, Joss Wheldon has said in the he'd like to write the JLA, why won't D.C. make some effort to sign some established talent. At the moment they are WAY to reliant on Geoff Johns, and if he decides to move on then D.C. truly are screwed.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 12:17 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jumpmann
Glower of Eyes

Variance.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 12:50 PM
jumpmann is currently offline Click here to Send jumpmann a Private Message Find more posts by jumpmann Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Re: Why the hell are so many writers leaving Mainstream D.C. ?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Before the last Crisis D.C. boasted probably one of the best writing teams ever put together; with the likes of Geoff Johns, Grant Morisson, Mark Waid, Jeph Loeb, Gail Simone and Greg Rucka all on regular books, and with the likes of Metzler and Robinson filling in on other titles. However, Mark Waid, Jeph Loeb and Greg Rucka have left, and grant Morisson has said he will only concentrate on Batman after the crisis. It seems as though D.C. is going to have a tough time emulating its former greatness after the crisis.

I mean when you consider how many great books D.C. where putting out before the Crisis ; Teen Titans, JSA, Flash, Identity Crisis, Birds of Prey, Gotham Central, Seven Soldiers its hard to see which non Geoff Johns books match up. With the exception of Wonder Woman, most of the new non Geoff Johns books really suck. I wish they'd bring in some new talent. I know Mark Miller recently made reference to how much he would like to write Superman, Joss Wheldon has said in the he'd like to write the JLA, why won't D.C. make some effort to sign some established talent. At the moment they are WAY to reliant on Geoff Johns, and if he decides to move on then D.C. truly are screwed.
Loeb is no loss.
As for the rest of that...
Simone, Morrison, Rucka, Waid and Johns are all still writing for DC.
Waid and Rucka are not exclusive,[And Waid never was, since he's the top dog of another comic company] but Waid is still writing Brave and the Bold and Rucka is writing one of the Final Crisis tie ins, and just finished his Crime Bible and I'm sure plans to work on more books.
Morrison also plans to keep on writing his other titles as well, he mentioned staying on ASSuperman well beyond what was supposed to originally be a 12 issue run, same for Frank Miller/Jim Lee on All Star Batman.

So basically you're just complaining about losing Loeb.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Last edited by Juntai on May 21st, 2008 at 02:00 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2008 01:57 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Because DC sucks. no expression You can keep Mark Waid from what ive seen of his writing he sux.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 02:20 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by Phantom Zone
Because DC sucks. no expression You can keep Mark Waid from what ive seen of his writing he sux.
lol. He's given a lot of titles some of their best runs. He's one of the most prolific writers in comic history.

Last edited by Juntai on May 21st, 2008 at 02:55 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2008 02:53 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Juntai
lol. He's given a lot of titles some of their best runs. He's one of the most prolific writers in comic history.

Ok but his writing on Captain America was.....terrible. His writing on Valor kinda sucked and when he stopped writing the series got better. no expression

I don't know whos idea it was to create the blasters but those characters were dumb.....I mean a guy that turns his torso into a mirror.....

Maybe he was having a bad day. Ive probably read other stories written by him but I cant remember but Valor and Cap were so bad I had to see who the writer was.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 02:58 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Ok but his writing on Captain America was.....terrible. His writing on Valor kinda sucked and when he stopped writing the series got better. no expression

I don't know whos idea it was to create the blasters but those characters were dumb.....I mean a guy that turns his torso into a mirror.....

Maybe he was having a bad day. Ive probably read other stories written by him but I cant remember but Valor and Cap were so bad I had to see who the writer was.
Not every issue is the best ever.... but..he teamed up with Grant Morrison to co-write probably the best JLA run ever. He wrote Kingdom and Kingdom Come[invented hypertime], he wrote Flash for 8 years[invented the Speed Force, created Bart Allen], Waid co-wrote 52. He's wrote most issues of legion in the 90's and this decade. Superman Birthright. He was one of the biggest creators of Crossgen comics, and wrote Crux Sigil and Ruse, some of it's best titles.

Last edited by Juntai on May 21st, 2008 at 03:30 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:28 PM
Deadline

Not every issue is the best ever.... but..he teamed up with Grant Morrison to co-write probably the best JLA run ever. He wrote Kingdom and Kingdom Come[invented hypertime], he wrote Flash for 8 years[invented the Speed Force, created Bart Allen], Waid co-wrote 52. He's wrote most issues of legion in the 90's and this decade. Superman Birthright. He was one of the biggest creators of Crossgen comics, and wrote Crux Sigil and Ruse, some of it's best titles.

Well i'll have to read those issues but quite frankly some of the characters and stuff DC come up with can be quite goofy.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:32 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Well i'll have to read those issues but quite frankly some of the characters and stuff DC come up with can be quite goofy.
It's true for both companies, and comics in general.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:35 PM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Re: Re: Why the hell are so many writers leaving Mainstream D.C. ?

Loeb is no loss.
As for the rest of that...
Simone, Morrison, Rucka, Waid and Johns are all still writing for DC.
Waid and Rucka are not exclusive,[And Waid never was, since he's the top dog of another comic company] but Waid is still writing Brave and the Bold and Rucka is writing one of the Final Crisis tie ins, and just finished his Crime Bible and I'm sure plans to work on more books.
Morrison also plans to keep on writing his other titles as well, he mentioned staying on ASSuperman well beyond what was supposed to originally be a 12 issue run, same for Frank Miller/Jim Lee on All Star Batman.

So basically you're just complaining about losing Loeb.

Wrong, Wrong Wrong.

Not well beyond issue 12, he said he'd like to do a one shot

Waid is doing a couple more issues of Brave and the Bold before JMS takes over .... Yeah the guy who wrote that 'Classic' Spiderman tale; One more day.

Rucka has basically said that the company pisses him off, and therefore intends to do less for them.

And Jeph Loeb wrote some of the F*cking greatest D.C. stories there has ever been, so yes he is a loss !

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:39 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

It's true for both companies, and comics in general.

Not every comic company has Krypto the superdog or Hootie the superowl but yes Marvel has some goofy characters but DC gets first prize.

Anyway I am starting to have more respect for DC. My opinion of them was not as bad as it used to be, ie use DC comics for fuel.

Last edited by Deadline on May 21st, 2008 at 03:42 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:39 PM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Not to mention the best FF4 run since John Bryne.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:41 PM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

What the **** ? .... Your basically making Judgements having not read some of the greatest stories ever created by D.C.

Its like saying Spielberg sucks, when you haven't watched Indiana Jones, E.T., Jurassic Park, Schindler's List etc.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:43 PM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by jumpmann
Variance.

Well thank you for that amazing contribution !

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:44 PM
Deadline

What the **** ? .... Your basically making Judgements having not read some of the greatest stories ever created by D.C.

Its like saying Spielberg sucks, when you haven't watched Indiana Jones, E.T., Jurassic Park, Schindler's List etc.

Yes but in all fairness its not just about stories but appearance of characters are important to. Ive been reading comics for YEARS and there is a reason why I got into Marvel and not DC when I read stories with characters that have bright red skin, slick back hair and a pink suit or talking Gorillas it puts me off because no matter how good the stories are the dumbness of the characters puts me off reading it. Im not saying design of characters is the most important thing but if they look really bad its off putting.

Sometimes when im reading DC comics I have to supsend my judgement for example I enjoyed SBps fights with the superheroes but when Superdog came along I was like "....uhhhhh."

Im aware that I need to keep an open mind and do like some DC comics but like im saying certain things put me off. However I intend to read some DC comics in the future.

P.S. When I said DC sucked I was kinda joking, but yeah some of their characters piss me off

Last edited by Deadline on May 21st, 2008 at 03:59 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:53 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Not every comic company has Krypto the superdog or Hootie the superowl but yes Marvel has some goofy characters but DC gets first prize.

Anyway I am starting to have more respect for DC. My opinion of them was not as bad as it used to be, ie use DC comics for fuel.
I believe Sentry [being a Superman ripoff] has a Superdog.

Lets not get into Peter Porker, Spider-Ham having an ongoing series for a year and a half.

Most comic companies have all sorts of stupid stuff going on.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 03:59 PM
Deadline

I believe Sentry [being a Superman ripoff] has a Superdog.

Lets not get into Peter Porker, Spider-Ham having an ongoing series for a year and a half.

Most comic companies have all sorts of stupid stuff going on.

Spider Ham is not canon. Anwyay unfortunately sometimes DC affects Marvel with its wackness sometimes anyway I mentioned other things apart from Krypto. In all honesty though there is no point in arguing because when it comes down to it its subjective.

Last edited by Deadline on May 21st, 2008 at 04:05 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2008 04:01 PM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Yes but in all fairness its not just about stories but appearance of characters are important to. Ive been reading comics for YEARS and there is a reason why I got into Marvel and not DC when I read stories with characters that have bright red skin, slick back hair and a pink suit or talking Gorillas it puts me off because no matter how good the stories are the dumbness of the characters puts me off reading it. Im not saying design of characters is the most important thing but if they look really bad its off putting.

Don't think you mean characterisation, I think you mean appearance ?

Your entitled to your opinion though. I would have said you where wrong about a year ago, but I prefer the matrix sophisticated look to Nostalgia. Mind you, I can't stand Marvels obsession with edgy 'realism'. The fact is they try so hard to make characters realistic, they miss the mark completely. Also edgy characterisation, doesn't work very well when you try and incorporate into an escapist story telling, such as the Mighty Avengers. The only person whose who always succeeds at utilizing gritty realism is Warren Ellis. Read his Wild-storm comics, he really does find a equilibrium between escapism and gritty realism. The others writers at Marvel, such as Bendis, Brubaker and Wheeldon can nail edgy characterisation, but when it comes to fantastical escapism, you are usually left disappointed. However it can go the other way. For example, I think Mark Miller is a D.C. writer, at the wrong company. He loves to go for the big blockbuster action sequences, with uber mind 'f*cking' themes, but tends to sacrifice consistent characterisation in the process. While trying to appeal to the 'badass' moment, characters end up performing actions totally out of character.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 04:09 PM
jumpmann
Glower of Eyes

Well thank you for that amazing contribution !

Marvel has most of its A list writers under exclusive contracts. Eventually they'll run out and some might switch companies. Who's to say in 3 years from now DC won't have Bendis, Millar, Brubaker exclusive? WHAT IF MARVEL LOSES THOSE THREE IN THE NEXT 8 MONTHS? They'll be screwed too! JMS is writing for DC now omgawds. New thread.

Like I said, variance. Insert 20 links to definition of variance.

quote:
And Jeph Loeb wrote some of the F*cking greatest D.C. stories there has ever been, so yes he is a loss !

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZf...feature=related

Old Post May 21st, 2008 04:57 PM
jumpmann is currently offline Click here to Send jumpmann a Private Message Find more posts by jumpmann Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

The insults, swearing, and sarcasm have to stop, CD. Keep it respectful or you'll receive an official warning.

Old Post May 21st, 2008 09:01 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote