KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Conversion

Conversion
Started by: Deadline

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deadline

Conversion

Well you guys might know me as a marvelite but it's getting to the point where I might be converting to DC. I'm not sure if thats entirely possible because I grew up reading Marvel comics but the fact of the matter it seems that I have more DC comics that I like than Marvel.

I was never entirely serious (otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to make the effort to read them) but I used to make fun of DC for having silly characters. It's just like any other form of prejuidice when you take the time to learn about the characters and the stories you don't give 2 shits about how silly their name is or how they look.

It hasn't been all bad for Marvel, Guardians Of The Galaxy was a riot and Dark Reign was pretty good so I might be overeating a tad. The fact of the matter is the quality of writing just seems to be better at DC. Maybe I'll never be a true DCer but it does seem at the moment they are making better stories.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 06:45 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

(please log in to view the image)

Welcome, to the age of heroes. big grin Regarding DC being called silly; it's a more matter of being more idealistic than Marvel in some ways. True, it can be dark. But there's a spirit of underlying hope and belief that it's always darkest before the dawn in DC.

I sincerely urge you to read anything by Grant Morrison, Alan Moore and Geoff Johns in DC. Final Crisis in particular, requires considerable background in DC to appreciate. It was written for the trades, and for the fans, not for casual readers. Which I think contributed alot to the flak it gets on this board. stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 08:18 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

I'm getting angrier and angrier at DC every month and I never thought I'd say this but it is entirely because of Grant Morrison. His Batman run just keeps pissing me off more and more. Who thought it was a good idea to try and fit the goofy as Pre-crisis bullshit into Batman's current continuity? Where is the logic in that? There is a reason you had the Crisis in the first place DC! It's absurd and doesn't fit together at all! It would be like if someone arbitrarily decided that Bruce Tim's Batman TAS was actually a continuation of the Alan West Batman tv show. It makes no sense! I hate it! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Secret Six and the Green Lantern line are great though.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 08:42 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

quote: (post)
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I'm getting angrier and angrier at DC every month and I never thought I'd say this but it is entirely because of Grant Morrison. His Batman run just keeps pissing me off more and more. Who thought it was a good idea to try and fit the goofy as Pre-crisis bullshit into Batman's current continuity? Where is the logic in that? There is a reason you had the Crisis in the first place DC! It's absurd and doesn't fit together at all! It would be like if someone arbitrarily decided that Bruce Tim's Batman TAS was actually a continuation of the Alan West Batman tv show. It makes no sense! I hate it! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Secret Six and the Green Lantern line are great though.
Crisis didn't effect Batman. He shielded himself in his cowl when it happened.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 10:29 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I'll give this another day or so, but this is going to be closed under the unofficial "precedent" idea. We can't have threads about one poster's personal conversion. No offense specifically to Deadline, because I've closed many others of this type preceding this one, but I have to apply the rules as evenly as I can.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. I can't really go cold turkey on an entire company because there's always titles that I like. Before Wildstorm's collapse (an offshoot of DC) DC was definitely getting more of my money. Right now, not as sure, since I gave up on the 3-4 Lantern books. But as a company, they seem to irk their fans less often with the events and such. Not that they haven't, but Marvel's fans seem more fickle or maybe Marvel just has more public crap being published.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 05:09 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by TricksterPriest

Welcome, to the age of heroes. big grin Regarding DC being called silly; it's a more matter of being more idealistic than Marvel in some ways. True, it can be dark. But there's a spirit of underlying hope and belief that it's always darkest before the dawn in DC.

I don't think its just that but it's also some of the characters are very old.

I sincerely urge you to read anything by Grant Morrison, Alan Moore and Geoff Johns in DC. Final Crisis in particular, requires considerable background in DC to appreciate. It was written for the trades, and for the fans, not for casual readers. Which I think contributed alot to the flak it gets on this board. stick out tongue

Yea Geoff Johns is badass. Hey man don't get me wrong I might end up being a neo-Dcer. Really its relatively recent stuff that makes me want to read more DC, I don't think I could really tolerate a great deal of DC pre-1997.

Originally posted by Digi
I'll give this another day or so, but this is going to be closed under the unofficial "precedent" idea. We can't have threads about one poster's personal conversion. No offense specifically to Deadline, because I've closed many others of this type preceding this one, but I have to apply the rules as evenly as I can.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. I can't really go cold turkey on an entire company because there's always titles that I like. Before Wildstorm's collapse (an offshoot of DC) DC was definitely getting more of my money. Right now, not as sure, since I gave up on the 3-4 Lantern books. But as a company, they seem to irk their fans less often with the events and such. Not that they haven't, but Marvel's fans seem more fickle or maybe Marvel just has more public crap being published.

Hey I said I might be converting like I said I'm probably overeacting, the fact is DC seem to making better stuff and you need to give credit were its due. It hasn't always been like that so I can't see myself going out and buying lots of pre-crisis stuff. Yuck!

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 10:07 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Most DC fans that didn't grow up with characters don't read the pre crisis stuff. Now some of it is good, but on the other end of the scale, a good deal of it is, well, just not going to appeal to a lot of people. The only stuff i've touched is the old Green Lantern stuff.

As far as "Pre-1997" goes, there are some pretty good books you'll be missing out on. Jurgens on Superman, Hal Jordan's fall from grace, Wally West's growth from being Barry's understudy in to the Flash, Kirby's Fourth World; the list goes on.

But yeah, as you already know, Johns is pretty good (especially his Flash and Superman stuff). Morrison's JLA (including his Unlimited and Crime Syndicate books) are also pretty good. Peter David on Aquaman ain't bad either.

There is that sense of idealism that Trick mentioned but it tends to skewer between good and bad pretty excessively at times.

As far as I go: I only started reading DC seriously in 2004 (as opposed to 1986 or so for Marvel), but it wasn't just loving DC's work that pushed me to read more of their books; it was my annoyance at Marvel for messing with my favourite characters. Right now, DC is putting out the better written books, imo, even with Johns on his little mini-power rampage.

I keep waiting for that day when I can pick up a good X-Men or Avengers book that I'm really going to like, and not worry that my favourite characters are going to be, for lack of a better term, pissed all over.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on Apr 20th, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 10:22 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by -Pr-
Right now, DC is putting out the better written books, imo, even with Johns on his little mini-power rampage.
Agreed.

Personally, I think DC has been producing much better overall story arcs for the past several years. As for Johns: I definitely think he is an innovator, but I don't really care for some of the -drastic- changes he has made to Green Lanterns, in general. However, I LOVE what he has done with Flash and co.

Currently, I think some of the best reads in DC are: GL, GLC, REBELS, Secret Six, JLA, JSA, and Booster Gold.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 03:48 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by -Pr-
Right now, DC is putting out the better written books, imo, even with Johns on his little mini-power rampage.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. For my money Fantastic Four, Secret Warriors, X-Factor and Uncanny X-Force have been consistently better than anything at DC not published under the Vertigo imprint for the last couple of months. The problem for Marvel is their two major franchises, the X-Men and Avengers, are currently in a state of disrepair. Kieron Gillen's first Uncanny issue gave me hope that he could save that sinking ship, but the Avengers desperately need new blood and they need it fast. It doesn't help that there is no Daredevil or Punisher solo title right now, and Cap is currently in a slump, because those titles are usually fairly reliablably high quality.

My favorite book at DC proper right now would be T.H.U.N.D.E.R. I think Nick Spencer is killing it on that book.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Apr 20th, 2011 at 04:38 PM

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 04:33 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Aquaman thinks Green Arrow is standing in his spot. hehe

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 04:37 PM
Smurph
------

Plastic Man isn't even there. What a rip.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 04:51 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I don't know if I'd agree with that. For my money Fantastic Four, Secret Warriors, X-Factor and Uncanny X-Force have been consistently better than anything at DC not published under the Vertigo imprint for the last couple of months. The problem for Marvel is their two major franchises, the X-Men and Avengers, are currently in a state of disrepair. Kieron Gillen's first Uncanny issue gave me hope that he could save that sinking ship, but the Avengers desperately need new blood and they need it fast. It doesn't help that there is no Daredevil or Punisher solo title right now, and Cap is currently in a slump, because those titles are usually fairly reliablably high quality.

My favorite book at DC proper right now would be T.H.U.N.D.E.R. I think Nick Spencer is killing it on that book.

Agreed with most of this.

Secret Warrior's is okay at best, and T.H.U.N.D.E.R. as well as R.E.B.E.L.S. are on par with Marvel's top books imo. X-Factor has gotten a little flat lately but hopefully it'll pick back up. I hope Journey Into Mystery and Uncanny X-men will become some of Marvel's better written books. Well, they already are, not very had currently.

Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus on Apr 20th, 2011 at 06:10 PM

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 06:08 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote