KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Great writers, bad runs

Great writers, bad runs
Started by: srankmissingnin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Great writers, bad runs

What are some runs where the top industry writers turned out some mediocre story arcs? Instance where reliably amazing writers just didn't hit the mark they normally have no trouble with? I'll start with two:

Brubaker on Uncanny X-Men. Ed fell into the same trap a lot of great writers do will writing the X-Men. The cast of characters is so large that a lot of writers have trouble focusing in and the stories end up wandering about aimlessly.

Andy Diggle on Shadow Land. It's hard to believe that mess was written by the same guy who wrote Losers and a bunch of Hellblazer.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jun 12th, 2011 05:59 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I liked Brubaker on X-Men, personally, though I suppose I can understand why you feel that way.

Fraction on X-Men. Critically acclaimed writer. F*cks it all up BIG TIME.

Robinson on Superman, Cry for Justice, JLA etc. Big name, bad execution.

JMS on Superman. Yeah, nuff said.

Loeb on Ultimates and Hulk. Yeah, abysmal, given the man's earlier works.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 12th, 2011 06:02 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-

Like this.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2011 06:05 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Originally posted by -Pr-

Quoted for truth.

For me, he absolutly grounded the Ultimates. I never will buy an issue, ever, because of what he did with the series.

As for Hulk, man, seriously... Good thing Pak came around...

This, from the guy who wrote one of the best book I ever read (Batman: The Long Halloween).

Old Post Jun 12th, 2011 06:35 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Oh, now i remember. Pak on WWH.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 12th, 2011 10:54 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kgkg
Vigilante

I'm trying to think of something bad from Frank Miller.

Stay Thirsty, My Friends.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2011 11:50 PM
kgkg is currently offline Click here to Send kgkg a Private Message Find more posts by kgkg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by kgkg
I'm trying to think of something bad from Frank Miller.

Allstar Batman.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jun 12th, 2011 11:54 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Luna Brothers, The Sword

I was so amped for their follow-up to Girls and it totally sucked, seemed way more cliche and non-creative compared to their previous work

Old Post Jun 13th, 2011 12:02 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Allstar Batman.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...tlethsq3mffp09i

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 13th, 2011 04:10 AM
Bouboumaster

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 14th, 2011 08:20 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Grant Morrison on Batman. One shot projects like Arkham Asylum are one thing; on a monthly basis I want Batman to be a gritty, streetwise read (the kind done by Miller, Moench, Rucka, Loeb, Brubaker, Azzarello in the past), not Morrison's brand of comic lunacy, which is better suited to a fantastical setting.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 03:52 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

Originally posted by roughrider
Grant Morrison on Batman. One shot projects like Arkham Asylum are one thing; on a monthly basis I want Batman to be a gritty, streetwise read (the kind done by Miller, Moench, Rucka, Loeb, Brubaker, Azzarello in the past), not Morrison's brand of comic lunacy, which is better suited to a fantastical setting.

Eh, I loved Morrison's run and all that's followed from it...

Whereas I thought Hush from Loeb was kinda overhyped. I mean, it had some good moments, but the way it basically shoehorned in this big bad guy who never felt like much of a threat yet somehow was able to manipulate every single one of Batman's villains into his plan just seemed a bit weak on a storytelling basis.

Fraction on X-men as Pr mentioned

Diggle on Hellblazer (it wasn't awful, but he's written much better and his big "reveal" at the end of his run will be (rightfully so) ignored by every other writer after him)

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 04:06 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by roughrider

I agree. Someone at DC needs to learn to say no to Morrison because his run on Batman was trash. Who in there right mind thought it made sense to acknowledge the campy adventures of pre-crisis Batman as having been the same Batman we know today. Ridiculous.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 06:26 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Personally I'm not against having a somewhat surreal Batman around, characters need to be told different from time to time.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 15th, 2011 07:25 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

I love Morrison's Batman. Some arcs are better than others, but overall it's pretty damn good.

Bendis on pretty much anything Marvel heroes.

James Robinson on JLA.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2011 10:34 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote