KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Grant Morrison's Super Gods

Grant Morrison's Super Gods
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

Grant Morrison's Super Gods

I know this should actually be in the book section, but since it's all about comics I thought here was the place.
I just saw it at my local bookstore yesterday:

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/201...-grant-morrison

I read some of it and will be buying pretty soon.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2011 05:31 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Reading through it now...one amusing thing comes up early, when he asks why some characters are so popular today. He names the ones who have had recent film series, and he concludes with Green lantern. Seeing as this came out the same summer as that movie and he was writing this months in advance, I think he assumed that Green Lantern was going to be a huge hit. I think most of us thought it had a chance to be really good and popular, and not the terribly disappointing flop it was. Unfortunately, Morrison put his prediction out there in print for millions everywhere.

Hope he wasn't just being a good company man for DC at the time, giving props to an unreleased project.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2012 03:21 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Would be fun to hear Morrison's take, but in the past I've practically drowned in accounts of the cross-section between comics, mythology, and societal critique. It will be hard to blaze new ground that isn't well-trodden, even for someone as adept at writing as Morrison. As it is, the summary in that link reads like an update of Joseph Campbell, just with modern references to characters.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2012 04:57 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

I own a copy.

It's really interesting and Morrison is a superb writer. Most of what I've read so far is about closely examining change within comic books against change in the social context at that time, which is all stuff I've read about before but never with the depth or wit with which Morrison parses through comic history.

That being said, I can only read so much at a time before feeling like I'm disengaging from the writing and then I have to stop because I feel like I'll just entirely miss the point of whatever paragraph I'm on.

It's really a series of essays, I guess, and that can feel pretty heavy after a little while.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2012 12:16 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote