KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Digital Comics

Digital Comics
Started by: Morridini

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Morridini
Morridini

Digital Comics

What do you all think of digital comics?

I've always been against the idea of digital comics, I've felt that comics is something that I need to own a physical copy of, so that I can get the feel and smell of it as I read it.

However, I just recently got myself an Android phone (a Samsung Galaxy SII), and noticed that they had Comixology comic readers (Marvrel and DC both use it), so I downloaded it just to see how it was.

And little by little, I was blown away. I've not had such a reading experience when reading a comic in quite a while. And the reason for that is simply the magnificent way the app zooms in and out on the proper things.

How many times haven't you read a comic, where they build up for a big reveal, but you accidentally spoil yourself as you turn to a new page as your eye see the whole page, and not just the first frame (say the reveal is at the bottom of a page, very hard to make yourself ignore everything but the first panel).

This never happen the way these apps are made, they focus on one panel/frame at a time, preventing you from accidentally looking at future frames. At the same time, they don't reveal all the artwork at once, so that you spot it at the most opportune moment.

My best example; I bought the Madrox miniseries (which I loved btw), and the first comic start off by showing us Madrox's head and shoulders, while we have text boxes around. After reading through the boxes, we get a sense of dread. Touching the touchscreen to proceed, the "camera" zoom out slightly, to reveal that Madrox was all along clutching his hand to a bloody wound on his chest. Had this been a normal comic, I would have seen this at once, and the dread in the textboxes would have been obvious, and not really needed.

For things like this, I'm really enjoying reading the comics digital. Also, I save a lot of money since I don't have to import them from the US anymore (one TPB, a Spider-man Brand New Day for instance, cost me about 30$ when I convert it back to USD), and I get them at the same time as you Americans.

I will of course continue to buy physical copies of series' I love (Walking Dead, Preacher, etc), but my run of the mill Superherocomics, welcome to digital!

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jan 26th, 2012 06:21 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

I'm always gonna be an old school comic book kinda guy. Anyone who wants to get into comics via digital or completely convert to it thats fine by me, anything to help continue promoting the franchise, (thank god for the movies!) and I don't mind the occasional preview or different series over view by digital means.

But allot of why I buy comics is the collecting factor and you just can't collect digital comics pass them on to your kids one day or get them signed by your favorite authors and so on the way true comic dorks always have anything like the classic paper comic books.

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Jan 27th, 2012 09:35 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I wanted physical copies until I got my own place. Then it was like "damn, all these boxes...." So yeah, digital is good. Less clutter also good.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2012 02:25 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Facee
Lord of Pretty

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
I wanted physical copies until I got my own place. Then it was like "damn, all these boxes...." So yeah, digital is good. Less clutter also good.

Can we come party at your place?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2012 02:56 PM
Facee is currently offline Click here to Send Facee a Private Message Find more posts by Facee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Yes. I live here.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2012 07:03 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Facee
Lord of Pretty

Originally posted by Digi
Yes. I live here.

At least you don't live near Bada's neighborhood.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/20...-badger-2016626

@ thread : Digital comics = free. Do the math .....

Old Post Jan 27th, 2012 11:17 PM
Facee is currently offline Click here to Send Facee a Private Message Find more posts by Facee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Don Corleone
@ thread : Digital comics = free. Do the math .....
You can also buy digital comics through pretty much every comic book company website nowadays.

...Not saying I do, but you can.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 5th, 2012 at 04:56 PM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2012 04:51 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Entity
you just can't collect digital comics pass them on to your kids one day

Yes, you can. Actually, it's probably much easier to pass digital comics on to your kids than paper comics. Far less mess too.

stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 5th, 2012 05:37 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Wurd.

My external hard-drive weighs like 1/4 of a pound and currently stores around 700GB of comics, which equates to thousands of individual issues. I'm no mathologist, but I'm pretty sure the same amount of paper comics would weigh a little bit more than my hard drive, and wouldn't be nearly as organized.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 5th, 2012 at 06:33 PM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2012 06:27 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I actually threw away like half my collection recently, trying to scale my sh*t down to all fit in my new place. I only kept the stuff that I "follow" like Spider-Man, Doctor Who, JSA, etc. Digital comics are so much easier...I'm not a pack rat.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2012 08:29 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Digital comics actually help you to keep your comic space to the bare minimum, I would rather show my kids physical comics than internet collections because I make it a big deal to have actual objects so they have physical experiences. But even with that attachment to the object itself, digital comics are essential to keep your collections organized, are easier to share and carry less weight. I have nothing against them as long as the physical counterparts exist.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 5th, 2012 08:38 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote