KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » You [might] have a chance to gain superpowers...

You [might] have a chance to gain superpowers...
Started by: Merlyn

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Merlyn
Order Of...

You [might] have a chance to gain superpowers...

Okay, so if there was a vat of nuclear waste in front of you, and an infallible scientist told you that if you were to dive into it there was a 99.9% chance of you dying a slow painful death, but a .1% chance that you would come out just fine and WITH superpowers to boot (for the purposes of this thread, you'd come out with any characters power you desired.) Despite the HUGE risks, would you jump in?

Why or why not?

Last edited by Merlyn on Mar 16th, 2012 at 05:05 PM

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 05:03 PM
Merlyn is currently offline Click here to Send Merlyn a Private Message Find more posts by Merlyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

No.

I'm too happy and content with life to choose an option that 999/1000 times ends up in a slow, painful death.

I think it would be a more interesting option if there were a chance that you come out with a shitty mutation, or look like a morlock, or something.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 05:32 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I have a wife/kid. Death doesn't scare me.

...In all seriousness, I wouldn't do it nowadays. In my younger/single years, I would have been very tempted.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 05:39 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barron-Ghidorah
Probably in bed

Yeah i think i'd do it. Don't have a lot going on right now, so no big deal if i died from it.
Superpowers are just to tempting to pass up even with the tremendous risks lol

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 06:03 PM
Barron-Ghidorah is currently offline Click here to Send Barron-Ghidorah a Private Message Find more posts by Barron-Ghidorah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

This needs to happen. Would kill a lot of stupid in the world. And give 1/1000 of the stupid super powers. But I could live with that.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 07:09 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Wangslap
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
This needs to happen. Would kill a lot of stupid in the world. And give 1/1000 of the stupid super powers. But I could live with that.

Not if I was the 1 in 1000 you couldn't.... I joke stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 07:27 PM
Sir Wangslap is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Wangslap a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Wangslap Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

No, I would not do it.

.1% means there is practically no chance that you'd actually get superpowers. If the chances were 40%, I'd at least consider it for an entire second before saying no.

Last edited by StyleTime on Mar 16th, 2012 at 07:46 PM

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 07:35 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Hell no.

Let's say 1 out of every 1000 people in this world is stupid enough to take that offer. Thats 7,000,000/1,000 = 7,000,000 (Seven million).

Of those 7 million, 1/1000 got superpowers. 7,000,000/1,000 = 7,000.

That's seven thousand morons running around with super powers. I can say with relative certainty that at least 6,000 would be douchebags.

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 07:47 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

yes I would 100%.......

don't get me wrong I love life but this would be worth it. If I did die however, at least I wouldn't live life regretting not doing it!

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 08:54 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Merlyn
Order Of...

Originally posted by TheMagicPillow
Yeah i think i'd do it. Don't have a lot going on right now, so no big deal if i died from it.
Geesh, man. This statement made me feel kinda bad. sad

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 09:03 PM
Merlyn is currently offline Click here to Send Merlyn a Private Message Find more posts by Merlyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Cogito
Hell no.

Let's say 1 out of every 1000 people in this world is stupid enough to take that offer. Thats 7,000,000/1,000 = 7,000,000 (Seven million).

Of those 7 million, 1/1000 got superpowers. 7,000,000/1,000 = 7,000.

That's seven thousand morons running around with super powers. I can say with relative certainty that at least 6,000 would be douchebags.

Most would kill each other or themselves within hours. It wouldn't be quite that bad.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 10:06 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

Most would kill each other or themselves within hours. It wouldn't be quite that bad.

not if everyone picked Invulnerability! lol

that's the only power I would want!

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 10:13 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by BlackZero30x
not if everyone picked Invulnerability! lol

that's the only power I would want!

OP sounds like you wouldn't have a choice though.

We're also forgetting the religious and idealistic martyrs that would take the plunge to save our planet if the idiots and d-bags started running amok with their powers.

Like I said, it would kill LOTS of stupid. I'm all for it.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2012 01:07 AM
BlackZero30x
Jack

OP sounds like you wouldn't have a choice though.

Originally posted by Merlyn
but a .1% chance that you would come out just fine and WITH superpowers to boot (for the purposes of this thread, you'd come out with any characters power you desired.)

We're also forgetting the religious and idealistic martyrs that would take the plunge to save our planet if the idiots and d-bags started running amok with their powers.

Like I said, it would kill LOTS of stupid. I'm all for it.

I think this would be the biggest problem....but this being the problem not just stupid people would die considering people could be getting Franklin Richards or worse kinda power.

Im just thankful some of the way more powerful beings wouldn't be very mainstream so it would be unlikely that their powers would be obtained.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2012 02:13 AM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Never tell me the odds!

Old Post Mar 17th, 2012 04:46 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Nice sig/avy, Jake. thumb up

About time you got rid of those [ghey] WWE ones you were wearing.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 17th, 2012 04:41 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Merlyn
Okay, so if there was a vat of nuclear waste in front of you, and an infallible scientist told you that if you were to dive into it there was a 99.9% chance of you dying a slow painful death, but a .1% chance that you would come out just fine and WITH superpowers to boot (for the purposes of this thread, you'd come out with any characters power you desired.) Despite the HUGE risks, would you jump in?

Why or why not?
No. I wouldn't jump in. Why?

I'd pick a character with the ability to travel through time. This way, if I survived the vat, I could come back and show myself it worked. Since I haven't done that, I'm assuming I died.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2012 06:56 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Mindship
No. I wouldn't jump in. Why?

I'd pick a character with the ability to travel through time. This way, if I survived the vat, I could come back and show myself it worked. Since I haven't done that, I'm assuming I died.

That presumes some things about the nature of time travel. It's handled differently in different universes, and even different writers. Not a bad plan, I enjoy a good loophole. But it's not without some risks, it's just lessening them.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2012 06:59 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

That presumes some things about the nature of time travel. It's handled differently in different universes, and even different writers. Not a bad plan, I enjoy a good loophole. But it's not without some risks, it's just lessening them.
You're fun at parties, aren't ya?

To close that loophole, the OP should specify the limits of time travel (or other potential loophole powers). I think most people though assume a single timeline view, wherein you go back, you change something in the past, and you change the future. This is looked at more critically when the grandfather paradox rears its head. Then we look at a multiple timelines approach: you go back, change something, but all you've done is create a new timeline, where that change was supposed to happen. While I personally prefer the latter, I think the average joe/jane thinks of time travel as the former.

And it was in that light my thought was posted.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2012 07:20 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

I would kill the scientist then take a sample of the toxic waste and distill it. Also make sure nobody else is aware of the vat. After testing it on random fodder supplied by my hired goons I will centralize the component needed whilst testing it with my own DNA until I get favorable results.

Then I'll take my power!

Last edited by the ninjak on Mar 17th, 2012 at 07:37 PM

Old Post Mar 17th, 2012 07:33 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote