KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Movies influencing continuity

Movies influencing continuity
Started by: JakeTheBank

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Movies influencing continuity

Obviously, this is something that's been going on for years, especially when it comes to the Marvel Universe. One just has to look at the new comic book, "Avengers Assemble" to see how the latest Avengers incarnation is inspired from the movie's roster.

But does it go a bit too far?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...y/news/?a=58511

Agent Coulson, a fairly popular character from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, will make his 616 debut in the pages of Battle Scars, a limited series set right after the events of Fear Itself which introduces us to the new character Marcus Johnson, who is in turn, revealed to be [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the long lost bi-racial son of Nick Fury.

In the preview for the final issue of Battle Scars, Marcus apparently [SPOILER - highlight to read]: suffers an eye injury and shaves his head, ironically resembling the Ultimate/Cinematic version of Nick Fury, all while wearing Steve Rogers' Super Soldier uniform.

Honestly, this seems waaaaay too forced to me and feels like a cheap way to try and draw in movie fans by accommodating them through tweaking the 616 universe to resemble what they see in the movies. What do you think?

Old Post Apr 24th, 2012 09:56 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blight
Less than Newbie

I agree. Why can't we let the movies be the movies and the comics be the comics?

I was so irritated with the inclusion of Bullseye having the Cattlebrand Mark on his face and Spiderman with Organic shooters for a time. Screw off with that nonsense!

-_-

Old Post Apr 24th, 2012 10:28 PM
Blight is currently offline Click here to Send Blight a Private Message Find more posts by Blight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The movies were originally modeled after the comics (mainly those of the Ultimate universe.) Now the comics are being modeled after the movies that are modeled after the comics.

Funny bit of irony...

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 24th, 2012 10:33 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I honestly don't mind this as much as other probably will. There are things I like from the movies that I wish the comic book characters were like. I'm actually pretty excited to get Agent Coulson in comics. Obviously not everything works out all nice and easy like Organic Webshooters, but I would say bad things get introduced in comics all the time even if it isn't from movies.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 24th, 2012 10:39 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blight
Less than Newbie

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Newjak
I honestly don't mind this as much as other probably will. There are things I like from the movies that I wish the comic book characters were like. I'm actually pretty excited to get Agent Coulson in comics. Obviously not everything works out all nice and easy like Organic Webshooters, but I would say bad things get introduced in comics all the time even if it isn't from movies.

Fair point.

I'm actually alright with Agent Coulsen. I like him in the movies [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Even though it will be short lived.

The Nick Fury thing? Not feeling it.

-_-

Old Post Apr 24th, 2012 11:20 PM
Blight is currently offline Click here to Send Blight a Private Message Find more posts by Blight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Yeah I don't know about the Nick Fury son thing either but often times to me what ends up determining whether is something is bad or not is the quality of story it gives us.

So we'll see.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 25th, 2012 12:13 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blight
Less than Newbie

Good Point. I don't read Marvel anymore anyway stick out tongue

-_-

Old Post Apr 25th, 2012 01:26 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Besides movies even TV has influenced continuity with comics especially with Superman.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2012 02:34 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Just not too much, thankfully.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 25th, 2012 02:38 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by Blight
I agree. Why can't we let the movies be the movies and the comics be the comics?

I was so irritated with the inclusion of Bullseye having the Cattlebrand Mark on his face and Spiderman with Organic shooters for a time. Screw off with that nonsense!

I actually liked the way they did Bullseye and it isn't a brand in the comics. He ditched the costume after he realized wearing a big uniform with a target on his head was stupid in an atmosphere of heightened security. He then got the brand tattooed on his forehead but Daredevil ended up actually carving it into his scalp with a rock.
I used to think characterization of certain characters becoming more modeled after the movies (i.e. Wolverine) was a turnoff but after seeing the big picture, it kind of looks like that's where the writers were going anyway with most characters so I don't necessarily see any influence of tv or movies to be a bad thing. I mean does anyone really hate Harley Quinn or Mr. Freeze's origin or X-23 or Firestar?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2012 02:51 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blight
Less than Newbie

Originally posted by Darth Jello
I actually liked the way they did Bullseye and it isn't a brand in the comics. He ditched the costume after he realized wearing a big uniform with a target on his head was stupid in an atmosphere of heightened security. He then got the brand tattooed on his forehead but Daredevil ended up actually carving it into his scalp with a rock.
I used to think characterization of certain characters becoming more modeled after the movies (i.e. Wolverine) was a turnoff but after seeing the big picture, it kind of looks like that's where the writers were going anyway with most characters so I don't necessarily see any influence of tv or movies to be a bad thing. I mean does anyone really hate Harley Quinn or Mr. Freeze's origin or X-23 or Firestar?
I hate x23....

So Tattooing is better than a costume? A Costume that you can get out of when the heat's on you?

-_-

Old Post Apr 25th, 2012 02:55 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Darth Jello

Reminds me of Bullseye MAX for Punisher.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2012 03:01 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...s/news/?a=58677

quote:
Talking to Newsarama, Marvel senior vice president of publishing Tom Brevoort has addressed the controversial introduction of "Nick Fury Jr." into the Marvel Universe. In Battle Scars, Marcus Johnson was revealed to be the son of Nick Fury, and by the end of issue #6 he had not only discovered that his name was really Nick Fury Jr., but also gained an eye patch, goatee and striking resemblance to Samuel L. Jackson. While the Fury who appears in Marvel's The Avengers was based on the one in The Ultimates created by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch, Brevoort explains here why they decided to create a 616 version of the character. To read the interview in full, in which he discusses where Nick Fury Jr. will next appear as well as the decision to introduce Agent Coulson and much more, be sure to click on the link below to head on over to the site.

"I don't know that he's going to be more around than he has been. I don't know that necessarily he's going to be around less. He's certainly appearing regularly in Ed [Brubaker]'s Winter Soldier series. There's been talk about Matt [Fraction] using him over in Defenders. And obviously we're doing the Fury MAX series — it's MAX, so it's set aside from Marvel continuity, but it's the classic incarnation of the character."

"I don't think, necessarily, the advent of Marcus-Nick Fury means, inevitably, that you're looking at the demise of classic Nick Fury. You'll no doubt tend to see more of new Nick than older Nick in the days ahead. But honestly, even the roles that I see them playing are a little bit different from one another. For whatever reason, and it probably had a lot to do with the fact that he stopped being the star of his own series, when he was initially conceived, Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. was a guy who strapped on some Steranko gear and went out and mixed it up with Hydra agents and A.I.M. guys. By the inevitably of not having a book of his own, over the last 10 or 20 years, Nick's role has generally been to knock on a superhero's door, and say, "Hey, superhero, I have a mission for you," and be a very easy way to get a character into a story that they otherwise wouldn't be connected to. Much more of a supporting player role."

"In terms of where "Marcus" Fury is set up at the end of Battle Scars, he's not the director of S.H.I.E.L.D., he is an agent. In my perfect world, he'll go out there and do all the kinds of stuff that Nick used to do back in the day. He won't be a guy that'll show up with a mission for a superhero, he'll be on a mission and team up with a superhero. That means you can still have old Nick in that role that he's been playing. It is kind of a way to eat our cake and have it too."

"Ultimately, new Nick comes from the publishing world to begin with, he just comes by a circuitous route, starting in the Ultimate Universe, and then winding through the films and animation, to come back to Marvel publishing. But any time it seems like what we're doing is following the lead of other divisions, our fans just have a hard time accepting it. They don't like it. It's always kind of a dicey thing when you're shifting things up this way, but to me the challenge is, "Make new Nick an interesting, viable character. Don't just make him a clone of old Nick in blackface and a goatee, make him a character unto himself." The good thing about new Nick is, at least at this point, he's had very little interaction with any of the characters in the Marvel Universe, so you've got the opportunity to introduce him to Spider-Man, and to Daredevil, and to Iron Man, to Thor, and the Hulk and everybody — and get a different perspective, and let him have a different set of experiences than the ones that older Nick had, and hopefully create some interesting story possibilities and directions for things moving ahead."

"We're definitely going to do more with the character; we're definitely going to do more with Coulson in the months and weeks ahead."

Old Post Apr 27th, 2012 01:42 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Bullseye's always been into branding which is why he drew the martini target on his head and then got the tattoo. I guess having and adamantium skeleton and still managing to assassinate a mutant with a metal needle in Magneto's Genosha gives you the confidence to do that kind of shit...

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Apr 29th, 2012 03:43 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote